XFX 7970 BE in Crossfire w/ Eyefinity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Genshrooms

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012
Hey everyone I'm just wondering considering the XFX 7970 has only 1x DVI 2x MiniDP and an HDMI input how I would go about setting up eyefinity. Im not sure yet what monitors I want to get but I'm thinking 3x Dell UltraSharp 24" screens. If someone could shed some light on this and let me know what adapters and set up I'll have to go through that would be great.

Thanks.

Solution
As far as screens, I have these 21in ViewSonic LEDs. They are ok, the price was good when I got them and the size is good for my desk. But I did not get them all at once, so the color on one is a bit off.

My card has 2 DVI ports, and one DisplayPort. So 2 screens are connected to the 2 DVI ports. The third screen is connected with the dvi cable to the DVI/DP adapter, which is connected to the card's DP port.

Even though my cards are in Xfire all three screen have to be connected to the primary card, which is the top one in my case.

In your case it looks like you might need two DVI/mini-DP adapters since you have 2 mini-DP ports, unless you try to use the HDMI (though I am not sure if you can do that).

drjiga

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012
I have Eyefinity set up on two Xfire 6850s. You will need one of these , but keep in mind the single-link adapter caps the max resolution at 1920X1080, if you want to go higher you will need a dual-link dongle that comes with an extra USB plug for power.

Genshrooms

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012

Thanks for the reply, just wondering what screens do you have? And with that adapter how do you have your cables hooked up? I don't have the cables in front of me so I'm having trouble picturing what the whole thing looks like. I think i'd like to get the one with the USB just in case I want to go higher then 1080. Can you recommend a product like that?

Also, what's performance like with your 6850's?

drjiga

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012
As far as screens, I have these 21in ViewSonic LEDs. They are ok, the price was good when I got them and the size is good for my desk. But I did not get them all at once, so the color on one is a bit off.

My card has 2 DVI ports, and one DisplayPort. So 2 screens are connected to the 2 DVI ports. The third screen is connected with the dvi cable to the DVI/DP adapter, which is connected to the card's DP port.

Even though my cards are in Xfire all three screen have to be connected to the primary card, which is the top one in my case.

In your case it looks like you might need two DVI/mini-DP adapters since you have 2 mini-DP ports, unless you try to use the HDMI (though I am not sure if you can do that).

Solution

drjiga

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012
Accel makes pretty good DVI/DP adapters, that's what I got.

6850s in Xfire might be considered a bit dated by todays standards, but I play just about everything maxed out on 1920x1080 with great framerate (Crysis is one exception, I had to turn down AA a tad to x4, otherwise all max).

Genshrooms

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012
Considering the dell ultrasharps all have DP inputs would I just be able to get 2x cables that have DP on one end and MiniDP on the other as well as one cable that has DP at one end and DVI on the other. This would allow me to plug them all into the 7970. Your monitors don't have DP inputs I'm assuming?

drjiga

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012
Correct, my monitors only have DVIs and VGAs.

If you get monitors that already have DP inputs then you just need cables that have mini-DPs on the other end.

For the third screen, you will probably need an adapter though, I don't think there is a DP to DVI cable, that's what the accel dongle referenced above is for.

Genshrooms

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012

What's the bezel like on those? I'll probably do a similar set up so I don't have to buy an adapter and just the cables.

Status
Not open for further replies.