Solved

Comparison between e5700 and Q9650

Just a bit curious :D
Should a q9650 be 100% faster than an e5700?
Game-debate says Q9650s is 54% faster than e5700
I cannot understand because they have:
-Same clock speed 3.0 Ghz
-Q9650 has 4 cores & threads while e5700 has 2
-12 MB cache and 2 MB cache
-Q9650 runs at 1333 FSB
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about comparison e5700 q9650
  1. Here is a different comparison http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/49?vs=94
    Not all software can use the extra tech on the Q9650 so depending on test the outcome fluctuates.
  2. rolli59 said:
    Here is a different comparison http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/49?vs=94
    Not all software can use the extra tech on the Q9650 so depending on test the outcome fluctuates.

    Ok, theoretically Q9650 is 100% faster than e5700. However, in reality, the Q9650 is 50% faster than e5700. But that must mean the Q9650 doesn't run as fast as it's supposed to. So what will the other 50% be used for?
  3. Best answer
    It depends on workload, if you can run all 4 cores compared to 2 then it is theoretically 100% faster. If it is running a single threaded application (many such) then the performance gap is much closer since both CPU's handle it with a single core at the same speed.
  4. rolli59 said:
    It depends on workload, if you can run all 4 cores compared to 2 then it is theoretically 100% faster. If it is running a single threaded application (many such) then the performance gap is much closer since both CPU's handle it with a single core at the same speed.

    So in today games, can they run at all 4 cores? And other today applications, such as Sony Vegas, Adobe After Effect,... (Video editing software)?
  5. Games, very few support more cores but expect more. Editing software usually supports more cores so there a quad is much better.
  6. rolli59 said:
    Games, very few support more cores but expect more. Editing software usually supports more cores so there a quad is much better.

    Thank you for answering all of my questions
    Have a nice day :D ;)
  7. Best answer selected by ffleader1.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Games