Honorable
Apr 27, 2012
Hey guys,

I'm looking into upgrading my graphics card. Right now my setup is:

AMD Phenom II 965 Black quad core 3.4ghz CPU
8gb RAM
Radeon HD 5770 1GB video card
600w Thermaltake PSU

The video cards I'm looking into I noticed are requiring two 6-pin connections as opposed to one. I was looking into the HD 6850 or maybe the GTX 560Ti but both require two 6-pin connections. Here is my question:

My PSU has one 6pin connector and one 6+2 pin connector. However, both connectors are on the same strand of cable running from the PSU (the 6+2 connector runs off of the side of the thick cable that the 6-pin connector is on). In order to properly power the card, will both connectors have to run off of separate cables running from the PSU or is it fine to use two I have on my card that run off the same cable (if this makes sense)?

Thanks!

andrewcarr

Distinguished
The 6+2 connector works in a 6 pin and 8 pin slot that's all so you can run either of those cards. The power supply will be able to handle it easily. I believe you mean the 6870 and 560Ti (6850 only uses one PCI-E connector). Another option would be to to spend a bit more and get the 7850 which performs similar to the 570 but is $50 cheaper (570 is $300 while 7850 is $250).

Actually, they do, same as a Molex strand that has 3 or 4 connectors, the secondary 6 pin connector is jumped from the same group of wires as the 6+2 ( or 8 in this case )
2r2yiqd.jpg