slimeykw

Honorable
Oct 26, 2012
I have a 500W power supply. I just upgraded my motherboard from microatx - ATX, added a 512mb video card, and two additional hard drives. I also added 6GB of RAM for a total of 10GB.

I have been having issues with my hard drives recently and haven't been able to figure out what exactly is wrong until the other day I had finally fixed it. This morning I woke up and my computer was off, and it won't power back on. I haven't tested the power supply yet, but I'm assuming it has to be that. And if so is it because it's not enough power to run all of those devices? (DVD drive, 10GB RAM, 512MB Video, 3 Hard drives, and 4 fans.)

Should I just buy like an 800-900W PSU?

dscudella

Honorable
Sep 10, 2012
I'm going to run through the usual questions.

1. What brand & model is the PSU?

2. When you upgraded your motherboard did you make sure to match the standoffs to the mounting holes and remove any extra standoffs?

3. Recheck all of your connections from the PSU.

4. When you turn the computer on does the PSU hum, does the fan spin or is it silent?

5. By any chance, any slim possibility that somehow the power switch on the PSU got flipped?

slimeykw

Honorable
Oct 26, 2012

I'm at school right now and I can't remember the brand/model at the moment. I got it from a friend for temp use, its a few years old.

As for the standoffs, they are mounted correctly, and there are no extra ones. As for the connections I'm 100% positive they are all snug in there.

The PSU does nothing. I had only a few minutes to check it out this morning before I left for school, but I press the power button and nothing happens, just DEAD.

And fortunately the power switch is on lol, I HAVE actually done that before. But as I said I left the PC running last night and woke up this morning to it shut down, and I couldn't power it back up.

dscudella

Honorable
Sep 10, 2012
Ok. Thanks for the replies. There is an easy fix to check if it's the PSU. If you have Best Buy in your town get a cheap 450W PSU from them, keep the receipt. Go home and swap PSU's. If the new one works then you know for sure your old one is dead. Return the PSU to Best Buy, get your money back and order a quality one from online.

slimeykw

Honorable
Oct 26, 2012

I have a 220W PSU sitting around, but i don't know if that'd be sufficient enough. I'll do the paperclip test when I get home in an hour and see if it powers up. I'm REALLLLLY hoping that it IS the power supply. If not...that means its the motherboard I just got from NewEgg.

TRENDING THREADS