rmthompson

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
Hey guys, running a new system:

ASUS M5a97 MOBO
FX 8120 CPU
8GB Corsair Ram
2 TB HD

Was installing some new fans, when I turned computer back on, I get a "CPU FAN ERROR" The CPU fan AND the rear exhaust fan was NOT working.. The fan was sitting sort of on top where that fan is, so I uninstalled it, restarted and got the SAME error but the EXHAUST fan worked. This time I physucally touched the fan to see if it was something blocking it, it felt a bit stiff, and then started up. Restarted and the error went away.

The only difference between my computer NOW and a few hours ago is an additional exhaust fan at the FRONT of the computer - could it be that I am pulling too much for my 450 watt PSU and it couldn't run all the fan units at once? (The new fan at the front of the computer is being pulled directly from PSU not MOBO connector.)

Furthermore - will the CPU fan ever stop on it's own, and if so, can I have somthing set to shut down the computer if this happens? I don't want to risk heating up.

In the bios there is an automatic setting for the cpu fan socket so that as you have already seen if the fan is not working then you will get a warning message that is has stopped and/ or not working. Youwill also get that warning message if there is no fan pluged into the cpu fan socket The cpu also has a thermal shutdown setting of 90c and the computer will automaticly shut down if that temp is reached..

rmthompson

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
GPU - Radeon HD 6750.

I think I am worried TOO much about adding these fans, I doubt I will ever get to the point where I need the fans?

Perhaps I should just stick to ONE fan on the side blowing in, the case fan on the back flowing out and let it vent heat otherwise? (this would be removing the front exhaust fan - speaking of that do I NEED to shut off the computer to remove the fan or can I just yank it... wait that sounds stupid doesn't it?)

rmthompson

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006

OK - I saw that when I turned it on, I just wanted to make sure something similar would happen WHILE it was on in case I wasn't in front of it (I am leaving it on as I download stuff from the old computer.)

rmthompson

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
FYI:

Fan speeds as I write this:

CPU fan: 3183 rpm
Channel 1 fan: 619

QUESTION - TWO of the fans are directly tied into the power supply (side intake and front exhaust) they seem quite loud - does the direct power mean they are always running at full speed? I can't see them while monitoring using any fanspeed software I've seen.

rmthompson

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
THIS is the case:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133196&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-NA-_-NA

What would you guys recommend for fans?

COMPLETE SYSTEM:

Processor: AMD FX8120 EightCore @ 3.9 GHz (this is what NovaBench reads, even though it's a 3.1 ghz proc... any reason why?)
Instructions: (What does this MEAN?) MMX SSE SSE2 SSE3
RAM: 8GB System RAM
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6500 Series
HDD: 2 TB Barracuda
MEDIA: DVD Multi RW
MEDIA: Mem card reader
PSU: Ultra 450Watt
http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3276575&CatId=1078

eggbrook

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
Ultra power supply is your main issue. It is a no name power supply. I doubt you get anywhere near the 450 watts it claims to give. I would definitely upgrade that power supply to a good well known brand, like seasonic. Power supplies are the heart of a computer, if you need a heart transplant you wouldn't choose a heart that already has heart disease. Then why choose a power supply that cannot handle the pressure!

I'd strongly urge you to get a better power supply for starters.

As far as the case fans, no real reason to do anything beyond the stock fans that come with that case for the setup you were running. If you had a more powerful video card(s) or were overclocking maybe.

Instruction sets are different features the CPU has onboard, if you're really curious about the blah blah:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MMX_%28instruction_set%29
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streaming_SIMD_Extensions

As someone who just finished their first year of IT classes, I'm not going to try to explain it in my own words, Professor Wikipedia?

No I don't know for sure why Novabench reads 3.9GHZ? Turbo Core would be my guess. (The CPU overclocks itself when it needs to)

Yea, and I once worked at an autozone, and let me tell you, take everything those people tell you with a grain of salt. :lol: Autozone paid people less than cashiers at the convenience store down the street, all people in such jobs are stupid until proven intelligent.

What program are you using to monitor temps? I'd use HW monitor and its the "core temp" you want to look at.

It its running that hot just putzing around, perhaps you could try to do a re-application of the thermal compound, maybe you got a bad stick. It happens.

If your running an AMD cpu then your temps are going to be higher just because thier cpu's run hotter anyway. You can always look in the bios and see what the thermal shutdown temp is so that will give you an idea of where your at with temps.
If you have the cpu fan plugged into the cpu fan socket then that fan will be controlled by the motherboards bios and if you hear it speed up then it's getting hot. A good thing to do is have a side panel fan that would be blowing directly onto the motherboard area where the cpu and ram are , that way you have outside air blowing directly ot where the cpu fan is and in turn that fan will have that outside air to help out with cooling the cpu. Some of the newer casesd have a bigger motherboard plate cutout so that you could put a fan on the right side panel that would blow on the backside of the cpu socket. I modded my case for just that and have an 80mm fan blowing directly at the backside of the cpu socket. Also if you do reapply the thermal compound make sure your putting a thin layer of the stuff , in this case more is not better.