Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Need help on choosing a PSU

Last response: in Components
Share
October 26, 2012 3:37:01 PM

I'm looking for a brand new PSU which provides around 500W of power. I'm in a tight budget and I've picked a couple of PSU to choose from and I would like a clarification if this PSUs will provide efficient power to my new build PC~

This are my choices:

Cooler Master Extreme 500/525W

Cooler Master GX Lite 500W

XIGMATEK 500W

Antec VP550P 550W

These are my choices in my range of my tight budget. Those are the ones I can only get and others might just be more expensive or untrusted to me.


More about : choosing psu

a c 672 ) Power supply
October 26, 2012 3:45:23 PM

Go with either the Antec or the Xigmatek, CM is not known for good PSU's.
October 26, 2012 4:15:14 PM

Alright, thanks! :) 
Related resources
a c 260 ) Power supply
October 26, 2012 9:29:58 PM

diabolic123 said:
I'm looking for a brand new PSU which provides around 500W of power. I'm in a tight budget and I've picked a couple of PSU to choose from and I would like a clarification if this PSUs will provide efficient power to my new build PC~

This are my choices:

Cooler Master Extreme 500/525W

Cooler Master GX Lite 500W

XIGMATEK 500W

Antec VP550P 550W

These are my choices in my range of my tight budget. Those are the ones I can only get and others might just be more expensive or untrusted to me.


Out of that group -forget CM, go with Antec. You didn't give model # on the Xigmatek, but they have a 500w model
on johnnylucky.org Lemon list, so I wouldn't take the gamble.

Tom

MODEL WATTS PROBLEMS AND ISSUES REVIEWS
NRP-PC502 500 Failed overshoot transient testing. Out of spec high ripple noise on 3.3V rail. Erratic voltage regulation. jonnyGURU
a c 87 ) Power supply
October 26, 2012 10:36:35 PM

Xigmatek have more than one 500W PSU. They have at least 3, apparently with one more on the way.
October 27, 2012 4:34:49 PM

toyftw said:
Out of that group -forget CM, go with Antec. You didn't give model # on the Xigmatek, but they have a 500w model
on johnnylucky.org Lemon list, so I wouldn't take the gamble.

Tom

MODEL WATTS PROBLEMS AND ISSUES REVIEWS
NRP-PC502 500 Failed overshoot transient testing. Out of spec high ripple noise on 3.3V rail. Erratic voltage regulation. jonnyGURU



Sorry, the Xigmatek model I'm referring to is the NRP - VC503 500W.
a c 260 ) Power supply
October 27, 2012 5:13:15 PM

diabolic123 said:
Sorry, the Xigmatek model I'm referring to is the NRP - VC503 500W.



Hi - haven't found a review (yet) from the better review sites, but only a 1yr warranty
is not a good sign

Tom
a c 260 ) Power supply
October 27, 2012 5:23:48 PM

diabolic123 said:
Sorry, the Xigmatek model I'm referring to is the NRP - VC503 500W.


Hi again diabolic - here's all I've found so far (hardware insights): Doesn't look too good, the unit exploded
when they finished AC power draw.


Oh ‘deer’ me. This unit really did break some rules, but lets start with the good news. The voltage regulation was great. No voltages ever even came close to going out of spec. The worst performer, as usual, was the -12v rail, although part of the problem is that the load tester currently only allows for 0.1A of load on that rail. The acoustic noise was also very good. It was inaudible throughout the testing. The efficiency was OK. Not great, but just OK. It was above 80% until test 6, where it dropped considerably to 76.72%, indicating that the unit was reaching its limits. It dropped a further 3.45% during test 7. The passive PFC was able to keep the power factor above 0.7 the whole time, which is typical for units with passive PFC, although still no match for active PFC. The ripple, however was a cause for concern. Once we got to Test 3, it was out of spec on the 3.3v rail at 60.9mV. It went down somewhat on subsequent tests, but was still too high. Then we got to Test 7 and things only got worse. As soon as I finished recording the voltages and AC Power draw, the unit exploded. Unfortunately, I didn’t get to read the ripple, which is why the question marks in the table for test 7.

Tom
a c 1108 ) Power supply
October 27, 2012 10:28:27 PM

The Xigmatek NRP-VC503 is made by Solytech so you should expect it to die in a shower of sparks.

When pclabs.com.tr did their review of that specific power supply model it only lasted 3.5 minutes into the full load test and then it burst into sparks.
November 7, 2012 9:41:41 AM

Alright, sorry for the late reply. I've seen some reviews between these 3 PSUs. I've bought the FSP HEXA 500W and it's currently working fine, thanks for the info though! Thanks for cautioning me about the Xigmatek's PSU. :) 
!