Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Driver Problems

Last response: in Components
October 26, 2012 4:01:23 PM

When I boot my computer I can only on rare occasions connect to the internet . Over the last week, after continual rebooting, or letting it sit (I'm really not sure how or why it happens), I have only connected 2 times. However when I do connect, I am connecting at a very fast (normal) speed and it stays working until I shut down.

The reason for my problems is I inadvertently uninstalled my nVidia chipset drivers. After doing this, I could connect to the internet, but the connection was extremely slow. I tried to reinstall the drivers, but my mobo (ASUS P5N-E SLI NF650I SLI 775) is 5 years old, and since then I have upgraded my OS – I’m now using Windows 7 64 bit. The Asus download section for this card does not have the nVidia Chipset Drivers for Windows 7. The most recent OS where I could find the drivers is WinXP 64, which I downloaded and tried to install. I think I installed this driver (I’ve tried so many things, including uninstalling it, upgrading it, deactivating, I’m not really sure what I have now) but now I (almost always) can’t connect to the internet.

I also tried to use the CD supplied with the mobo to reinstall the drivers, but I can’t run anything on the CD as it doesn’t recognize my OS.

Does anyone have any ideas of what to try? I’m desperate and even thinking of building a new PC - when this one is actually working great otherwise!

Thanks for any help,
Mike

CPU INTEL|C2Q Q6600 2.4G 775 65N
MOBO ASUS P5N-E SLI NF650I SLI 775

More about : driver problems

Best solution

October 26, 2012 4:06:33 PM

Have you tried turning off your router? Sometimes its something as simple as the router not recognizing the NIC on account of changed drivers. Also, try changing the NIC's properties make sure its on full duplex and all that jaz. Also, nvidia NIC's are notorious for not working. I myself have an extremely old NIC in my computer because my integrated nvidia NIC stopped working. My ultimate suggestion is buying a cheap NIC like this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
October 26, 2012 4:36:24 PM

I tried turning off and on the router and changing some of the NIC's properties. Nothing worked.

I like the idea of a new NIC, but does my mother board have a spot for a card? If I'm looking at this correctly the NIC is built into the mobo. Here's a link to my mobo's specs...
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_775/P5NE_...
m
l
Related resources
October 26, 2012 5:39:02 PM

Best answer selected by NoviceMike.
m
l
October 26, 2012 5:39:04 PM

Thanks ComputerRock. I opened my case and I have room for a PCIe X1 card. No Problem. I'm going to go to Best Buy (I'd like to have it fixed this weekend) and get something cheap.

Thanks again,
Mike
m
l
!