Sign in with
Your question

Would this 7970 be bottlenecked by my system?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 27, 2012 11:56:43 PM

Recently came up on some funds and now looking to upgrade my subpar GeForce GTX 550Ti. Initially I was thinking of just purchasing another 550Ti and SLI but after viewing some YouTube videos from NCIX I decided investing to a higher end GPU would serve me better in the long and short run. I was looking at some 570 / 580s but can't find any good deals on them here nor on craigslist. I'm not very familiar with Diamond's rep or warranty other than its 5 years.

At the moment Frys had the AMD 7970 by Diamond for 479.00 I'm wondering if I purchase this card will my CPU bottleneck it? I plan to overclock my CPU once I get an aftermarket heat sink and add a couple more case fans. Your expertise is appreciated :sol: 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Operating System
MS Windows 7 Home Basic 64-bit SP1
CPU
AMD Phenom II X6 1045T
Thuban 45nm Technology
RAM
8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 668MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. SABERTOOTH 990FX (AM3r2)
Graphics
1024MB GeForce GTX 550 Ti (EVGA)
Monitor
ASUS VE278 (1920x1080@60Hz)
Hard Drives
59GB OCZ OCZ-AGILITY3 ATA Device (SATA)
a b U Graphics card
April 28, 2012 3:56:05 AM

It won't be bottle necked I don't think, have you ever thought about OCing?

I've got a x6 1065t clocked to 3.76 from 2.9ghz; I'm sure you could hit 3.5ghz with 1.375 / 1.4 v on the core.
April 28, 2012 4:10:02 AM

It wont be bottlenecked at all, that processor is very nice, perhaps you can overclock it a bit to be in safer grounds.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
April 28, 2012 4:22:39 AM

It should be fine. A game like BF3 has no bottlenecks at any resolution for gaming processors. If you were to be a stickler about it you might see differences at 1200ish resolutions. But hopefully your monitor isn't that old/tiny. Cheers.
a b U Graphics card
April 28, 2012 4:23:48 AM

Not exactly a bottleneck, just a tiny bit less than what you get with a mid-ranged Sandy. BTW, this was all with a 7970.
a b U Graphics card
April 28, 2012 4:33:19 AM

I disagree look at these benchmarks for CPU running a 7970. There will be a bit of a bottleneck if you don't overclock.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-fx-pentium-a...
Overclock versus no overclock (look at the phenom results because most games won't use more than 6 cores anyways so comparable clock should be about how yours would perform).
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-fx-pentium-a...

Posted after ^ that is from the same article its worth the read. Even if there is a bit of a bottleneck I would still get the card and maybe in a year upgrade CPU and motherboard.
a b U Graphics card
April 28, 2012 4:48:57 AM

davemaster84 said:
It wont be bottlenecked at all, that processor is very nice, perhaps you can overclock it a bit to be in safer grounds.

if an x6 is very nice what is a new i series cpu?

ohyouknow said:
It should be fine. A game like BF3 has no bottlenecks at any resolution for gaming processors. If you were to be a stickler about it you might see differences at 1200ish resolutions. But hopefully your monitor isn't that old/tiny. Cheers.

you must have been brain washed by single player bf3 benches.

a b U Graphics card
April 28, 2012 4:59:56 AM

if you would kindly show me multiplayer benchmarks I will gladly go with it. But as of my posting I don't have any benchmarks that I can reasonably use that don't rely on single player benchmarks or personal experience. I do agree that multiplayer is a whole new bag.
April 28, 2012 5:17:33 AM

Im actually surprised about those benchmarks ... HD7970 seems to be a bit weak ... getting higher FPS with Crossfire HD6950's and an FX-8150 .. at maxed graphics settings..for those games..
a b U Graphics card
April 28, 2012 5:24:08 AM

Your surprised that two GPU, alone about 20-30% worse than the 7970, beat the 7970?
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
April 28, 2012 5:26:44 AM

BES said:
Im actually surprised about those benchmarks ... HD7970 seems to be a bit weak ... getting higher FPS with Crossfire HD6950's and an FX-8150 .. at maxed graphics settings..for those games..

Uhh ya 6950 crossfire will run it faster then a 7970 :ange: 
Anonymous
a c 117 U Graphics card
April 28, 2012 5:42:08 AM

it will NOT bottleneck as far as RENDERING in game play except at a low resolution; having the GPU render more frames per second. of course when a game loads more on the CPU it will affect the performance as with ALL CPUs. and in that instance you would benefit from overclocking the CPU.
a CPU "bottlenecking" a GPU is a VERY misunderstood term.
a b U Graphics card
April 28, 2012 5:59:56 AM

Anonymous said:
it will NOT bottleneck as far as RENDERING in game play except at a low resolution; having the GPU render more frames per second. of course when a game loads more on the CPU it will affect the performance as with ALL CPUs. and in that instance you would benefit from overclocking the CPU.
a CPU "bottlenecking" a GPU is a VERY misunderstood term.

its not that misunderstood. if the cpu in a particular game is too slow to keep up with the gpu its bottlenecking the system. in bf3 multiplayer online with 64 players his cpu will probably bottleneck a little bit maybe 5-10 fps. ive seen the benches i just cant seem to find them again. they are around somewhere. they show that with even a i5 it benefits to overclock it when you have high end gpus.
Anonymous
a c 117 U Graphics card
April 28, 2012 6:18:11 AM

cbrunnem said:
its not that misunderstood. if the cpu in a particular game is too slow to keep up with the gpu its bottlenecking the system. in bf3 multiplayer online with 64 players his cpu will probably bottleneck a little bit maybe 5-10 fps. ive seen the benches i just cant seem to find them again. they are around somewhere. they show that with even a i5 it benefits to overclock it when you have high end gpus.

thank you for posting a fine example of how the term "bottlenecking" is misunderstood.

what game? what resolution? what AA settings? is there physX? is there a physx card or is it on the CPU? multiplayer? single player? demo?

there is A LOT more to diagnosing a performance configuration than looking at the pretty pictures of benchmarks. and a 5-10fps will be very significant with 20-35 fps performance.

"bottlenecking" has been such an overused term that it has completely lost its meaning with "popular wisdom".

a b U Graphics card
April 28, 2012 7:26:06 AM

Anonymous said:
thank you for posting a fine example of how the term "bottlenecking" is misunderstood.

what game? what resolution? what AA settings? is there physX? is there a physx card or is it on the CPU? multiplayer? single player? demo?

there is A LOT more to diagnosing a performance configuration than looking at the pretty pictures of benchmarks. and a 5-10fps will be very significant with 20-35 fps performance.

"bottlenecking" has been such an overused term that it has completely lost its meaning with "popular wisdom".

i honestly dont care what the settings are, if i go from one clock speed to another at the same graphical settings and GAIN fps, the cpu was holding me back. plain and simple.
a c 84 U Graphics card
April 28, 2012 7:45:23 AM

there will be an littlebit of bottleneck in cpu dependent games which uses cpu more then gpu such as skyrim or maybe bf3.overclocking the cpu may reduse the bottlenecking.the amd phenom ii x4 965be to 980be has better performance in gaming then that cpu so if u overclock it then it should be fine but a bit high overclock till 3.6ghz to 4 ghz will be fine.:) 
a c 130 U Graphics card
April 28, 2012 9:12:51 AM

Its all relative, the correct term is restriction not "bottleneck". the word "Bottleneck" infers a definite solid stop to performance.
These days this is very very rare, I doubt there have been many actual Bottlenecked systems for a good few years now.

Your X6 is one of the slower ones, 2.6 or 2.7 ? cant remember exactly. As such I would expect it to under perform quite badly compared to chips such as a 3.4 Quad Phenom II or even a mid range Sandy Bridge.

Personally I would get the new heat sink and make sure you can get a decent Overclock out of your chip first before spending that kind of money on a card that you wont get the best out of if it turn out you can get your chip up to at least 3.2 preferably 3.4 or beyond.

I would be looking at a 7870 if it was me. That would a 100% perf improvement over what you have and if there was a restriction it will be less so.

Just my opinion of course.

Mactronix :) 
Anonymous
a c 117 U Graphics card
April 28, 2012 5:27:09 PM

mactronix said:
Its all relative, the correct term is restriction not "bottleneck". the word "Bottleneck" infers a definite solid stop to performance.
These days this is very very rare, I doubt there have been many actual Bottlenecked systems for a good few years now.

Your X6 is one of the slower ones, 2.6 or 2.7 ? cant remember exactly. As such I would expect it to under perform quite badly compared to chips such as a 3.4 Quad Phenom II or even a mid range Sandy Bridge.

Personally I would get the new heat sink and make sure you can get a decent Overclock out of your chip first before spending that kind of money on a card that you wont get the best out of if it turn out you can get your chip up to at least 3.2 preferably 3.4 or beyond.

I would be looking at a 7870 if it was me. That would a 100% perf improvement over what you have and if there was a restriction it will be less so.

Just my opinion of course.

ding ding ding ding ding . . . we have a WINNER :) 
a b U Graphics card
April 28, 2012 6:12:30 PM

Anonymous said:
ding ding ding ding ding . . . we have a WINNER :) 

ding ding ding we have an expert
Anonymous
a c 117 U Graphics card
April 28, 2012 8:38:30 PM

:bounce: 
a c 130 U Graphics card
April 28, 2012 9:03:44 PM

Thanks for the Props guys :hello: 

Nice to know there are a few others that actually get it ;) 

!