Whats a good upgrade for my computer??

Status
Not open for further replies.

mainada01

Honorable
Apr 27, 2012
Hello, i have a GIGABYTE GA-M61PM-S2 motherboard AMD Athlon(tm) 64X2 Dual core processor 5200 2.60GHz 4gb of DDR 2 800 ram right now a NVIDIA GeForce 6600 graphics card all i really wanna upgrade is my graphics card but am unsure what to get

I think you should tell us more about your system(power supply as well) and what your budget is. You may want to consider getting more than your system can take advantage of with the the thought of upgrading the cpu/ram/mobo later.
-Bruce

mainada01

Honorable
Apr 27, 2012
well i dont wanna spend loads and loads but i'll do what it takes to make things smoother i think my powersupply is 330 watt but i can upgrade that if i need to its just the one that came with the case

phishyfeet

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012
I would say upgrade you graphics card 1st and fore most. Diablo 3 is going to be a big GPU hog (if you played open beta last weekend you may know by now).

I tested beta with a GeForce 550Ti and it ran fine until I hit packs of mobs in group play (4 players in a game). When we smashed through groups together my fps dropped from 70 down to 20ish. The addition of 4 players and all the spells going off really hindered game play, nothing to that was not playable but it was something I didn't like. Since you can't SLI I would say go with a

GTX 560 model GPU (2gigs of ram on the card if you can afford it) the 2 gigs will def help out on trying to load up all the scenery, mobs, & spell details that are going off in game. If not, you can jump it down to a 550 but be prepared to address the issues I faced when it comes to playing with groups and packs of mobs with spells going off.

I would really recommend 560 with 2gb ram on the card.

The 550 right now is about $119.00
The 560 is anywhere between $170-$194 but include various rebates

[EDIT]

Just seen your power supply, you will probably need to upgrade it to @ least 400 to be on the safe side.

Status
Not open for further replies.