Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading my gaming rig

Last response: in Systems
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
June 22, 2012 3:55:15 AM

hi everyone, about a year ago, i built a budget gaming machine that altogether costed about $800. Now i have some extra cash on my hands and i want do do some serious upgrades. The only problem is i am not gonna get all the money at once. I can spen about $200 now, $500 in October, and $500 around Christmas with maybe a little extra in between. I need your help to figure out the upgrades and than find the right order to buy them.

Current Build

CPU - AMD Athlon II X3 450 Rana 3.2GHz
MOBO - ASRock M3A770DE AM3 AMD 770 ATX
Video Card - SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6850 1GB
Sound Card - Creative Sound Blaster Recon3d Fatal1ty Professional
Case - HEC Blitz Black Steel Edition
HDD - SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ 500GB 7200 RPM
PSU - Antec EarthWatts EA-500D Green 500W
RAM - Mushkin Enhanced Essentials 4GB

Upgrades
CPU - i5 3570k... or i5 2500k
MOBO - no idea
Video Card - i dont want to buy another 6850 because theres nowhere to go after that... maybe a gtx 680
Case - NZXT Phantom...?
HDD - possibly a ssd for OS or maybe one for all my games
PSU - no idea but i want something that has a little room for upgrades so i wont have to buy another when when i upgrade again
RAM - no idea but at least 8gb

thanks for all the help in advance

p.s. i wan to be able to play all games at atleast medium-high settings. (reason for gtx 680)

More about : upgrading gaming rig

June 22, 2012 4:28:48 AM

Get the GTX 670 instead. It's $100 cheaper and can match the GTX 680's performance easily when overclocked.

For the Mobo, get an ASRock Z77 Extreme4. For the CPU, get the i5-3570k which supports PCIe 3.0 and USB 3.0.

For the PSU, a Corsair TX 750 v2 can handle even 2 GTX 670's. If you don't want to go that far, a TX 650 v2 is fine.

A Crucial M4 128 GB SSD is around $130.

The problem is that you probably shouldn't get the GTX 670 until you upgrade your CPU/Mobo, RAM and PSU (Although it might run it), or you will be bottlenecked.
m
l
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
June 22, 2012 4:45:09 AM

thanks for the help,

im thinking that i could get he case and the ram now (i will prob be bottlenecked with the ram, but i am doing a "project" right now and i need a lot of ram for the next step. In the summer sometime i will get he psu (get about $50 from selling my old case and ram) in the summer if i have some extra cash. In october ill get the mobo and cpu. finally, ill get he gpu at christmas.

What about the corsair hx750 or even the ax750. I like these better because of the fact that they are modular so i can put whichever cables i want in them and they also have better power effiecientcy.

as for ram what about this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

thanks again for the help
m
l
!