Sign in with
Your question
Solved

What is performance like with a 2 core Atom processor?

Last response: in CPUs
October 26, 2012 6:19:37 PM

I hope i am posting this in the right section.

What does performance on a modern 2 core Atom compare to? I understand the gen 1 models were terrible (and that simple H.264 video playback would bring them to their knees). The newer 2 core models are supposed to be much better, but I don't know how much better. The new 4 core models are supposed to be way better, but they don't come out until sometime in 2013, and I don't want to wait that long. Does a 2 core Atom compare to a Pentium 4? Pentium D? I have no idea.

My goal is to replace this iPad with a Windows 8 tablet. I am trying to decide between an MS Surface RT, and a Lenovo ThinkPad 2 (x86 Atom). I am not concerned about finding apps in the MS store, my main concern is just to get Windows-based MS Office on my tablet.

Will the 2 core Atom be too much of a dog? Or am I better off fighting bugs in Windows RT? Does anyone have any firsthand experience? Thanks.

Best solution

a b à CPUs
October 26, 2012 9:56:08 PM

Hi :) 

I own Computer shops...

If you wish to use the Pentium as a comparison, then a dual core atom , imho is around a Pentium 1 - 60....

All the best Brett :) 
October 26, 2012 9:58:44 PM

Best answer selected by nazareneisrael.
m
l
October 26, 2012 10:00:16 PM

Brett928S2 said:
Hi :) 

I own Computer shops...

If you wish to use the Pentium as a comparison, then a dual core atom , imho is around a Pentium 1 - 60....

All the best Brett :) 

Wow. Okay. I did some more checking, and the quad core Atoms are supposed to be maybe 7 times as strong as the 2 core Atoms. Only, they don't come out until the 4th quarter of 2013. I don't know if I want to wait that long....

Thanks!
m
l
Related resources
!