Sign in with
Your question

How to properly apply thermal paste

Last response: in CPUs
October 26, 2012 7:55:30 PM

Hello hope somebody with experience could help me with it. I have got a processor of i7 955 and a case of Azza Solano which is not big enough to fit the master cooler fan & heatsink. Instead, I bought the quite a bit popular at that time (2010) the cosair H50.

However, at idle time without overclocking, the temp is about 4X C Degree or something, if fully loaded it hits over to 8X C degree. The BOD screen usually happens when the PC runs over 6 hours or more. Anyway, I have ATI crossfire in my rig.

So the possible cause to the problem will be the case and improperly applied thermal compound to the CPU spreader.

Just wonder how to properly apply thermal past on i7 processor.
a b à CPUs
October 26, 2012 8:46:27 PM

jinkazuya said:
Hello hope somebody with experience could help me with it. I have got a processor of i7 955 and a case of Azza Solano which is not big enough to fit the master cooler fan & heatsink. Instead, I bought the quite a bit popular at that time (2010) the cosair H50.

However, at idle time without overclocking, the temp is about 4X C Degree or something, if fully loaded it hits over to 8X C degree. The BOD screen usually happens when the PC runs over 6 hours or more. Anyway, I have ATI crossfire in my rig.

So the possible cause to the problem will be the case and improperly applied thermal compound to the CPU spreader.

Just wonder how to properly apply thermal past on i7 processor.

I have found the technique of plopping a pea sized kernel of paste in the middle of the cpu and then putting on the cooler to be the best.

The pressure of the cooler spreads the paste with no bubbles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_4...
Related resources
October 27, 2012 11:11:23 PM

Thanks so much guys...The pea size method was the one I used but it doesn't cover the whole spreader, does it?

As for the newegg one, will the compound squeeze out if too much pressure is applied when putting the seatsink on top of the spreader?
a b à CPUs
October 28, 2012 12:17:26 AM

It is not completely necessary for the thermal paste to spread and cover the entire CPU, most of the heat is generated in the center. The compound will only squeeze out if you put too much thermal paste.

- Socialfox :) 
!