Sign in with
Your question

Need to break pc to tv video 30 foot barrier

Last response: in Wireless Networking
August 19, 2011 6:21:34 AM

Hello,

I'm pretty much a novice at networking and am trying to wirelessly connect a Sharp flat screen TV in the living room with a computer in the office about 80 feet away (not line of sight). The TV has built in wireless internet and easily connects to the wireless N router, but really stupid firmware makes it only go to a pathetic portal (by Sharp). For a while I thought the Logitech Revue would do the trick but that is also limited to 30 feet.

I want to have the TV be picked up by the office computer video card as another extended monitor. Computer already has 3 monitors connected to it, in extended screen mode. Not sure video card will support a 4th, since already forced to use Display Link adapter for the third one.

Also I want to run a wireless mouse and keyboard in the living room too, back to the computer. Sort of a KVM type idea, but with the 'KVM' in the living room operating in parallel with the normal desktop 'KVM' setup. Instead of controlling multiple monitors/cpus with one KVM, I want one cpu and multiple KVM, if that makes sense.

With all this messing around why not use an old laptop in the living room? Don't have one that works is why!

Anyway, for the video portion I was thinking of trying to use a
DIAMOND V-Stream wireless PC to TV WPCTV1080H USB to HDMI Interface 1080p
but that only has a 30 foot range.

And the keyboard and mouse are likely to have an even lower range than that...

So I thought of trying to hook the keyboard, mouse and V-Stream into a wireless USB hub located in the living room, along with the mouse and keyboard, using something like the
iogear Wireless USB Hub and Adapter (LEGACY PRODUCT) GUWH104KIT
which has:
1 WUSB Hub GUWH104
1 WUSB Host USB Adapter GUWA100U
1 WUSB Hub Antenna
1 WUSB Hub Power Supply
1 USB Type A to mini - B Cable
1 Extension / Swivel Adapter
1 Software CD (Electronic Manual)

The problem is that product is also limited to 30 feet! Are there longer range ones out there?

What I want to do is get a USB hub in the living room, but somehow having the same range as the wireless N signal from the router, i.e., to reach the 80 foot distance.

What to do? All these PC to TV video streamers are limited to 30 feet, requiring the PC to be in the same room as the TV!

Is there a longer range solution to the IOGEAR legacy kit described above?

Or, somehow get wireless N signal recognized by the wireless hub? I know... different protocols or something, right?

Or, get the range by somehow pairing the wireless hub antenna with a third party high power USB wireless extender instead of the low power host adapter it ships with?
But that would only up the range on the host side, not helping when transmitting from the hub side...

thanks!
Kurt
a b x TV
August 19, 2011 5:56:25 PM

Are you sure the wireless connection on the TV is for connecting it as a display and not just for internet access for video streaming?

Also, the video card probably won't work with a 4th display, need to check the specs for it.

You can use a WiFi based KVM and connect the video to the TV that way. http://www.42u.com/wireless-kvm-switches.htm
m
l
August 23, 2011 7:21:17 PM

hang-the-9 said:
Are you sure the wireless connection on the TV is for connecting it as a display and not just for internet access for video streaming?

Also, the video card probably won't work with a 4th display, need to check the specs for it.

You can use a WiFi based KVM and connect the video to the TV that way. http://www.42u.com/wireless-kvm-switches.htm

hi hang,
yes, the wireless connection is just for internet access via Sharp's portal. therein lies the rub. if they would open it up to general surfing, i wouldn't be going through all this!

you are probably right about the video card. i couldn't get it to go past 2 displays, even though i bought because they advertised 3. so i ended up getting a Display Link adapter, which works ok, but is only VGA, i think, and not too fast.

i was originally toying with the idea of a wireless KVM, too, thanks for the link. what i found there is waaay out of my price range! can't figure out what could possibly be in them to justify $900+ !

-Kurt
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b x TV
August 23, 2011 8:05:24 PM

This one is only $500 http://www.kvm-switches-online.com/0su70028.html

Although you can just as easily buy a used laptop, hook it up to the TV, and use remote connections to that. A laptop good enough to run HD to the TV should be about $200 if you look around. Heck, you can buy one with a bad screen even as it will basically be a headless unit you remote to. And if you need the screen, you got the TV there.
m
l
August 24, 2011 3:15:57 PM

hang-the-9 said:
This one is only $500 http://www.kvm-switches-online.com/0su70028.html

Although you can just as easily buy a used laptop, hook it up to the TV, and use remote connections to that. A laptop good enough to run HD to the TV should be about $200 if you look around. Heck, you can buy one with a bad screen even as it will basically be a headless unit you remote to. And if you need the screen, you got the TV there.

i thought about getting my old laptop going again. i had no idea it would such a tricky approach to do it inexpensively, but w/o using a laptop...

latest is i've stumbled upon the wireless Belkin F5L009 5-Port Wireless Network USB Hub,

http://onlinebusiness.about.com/od/yourhomeoffice/fr/f5...

Want to be sure one doesn't use that dang UWB with its 30' range issue, but it looks as if it is regular network wifi.

sadly, it seems to be unavailable, i imagine there are other manufacturers though.

thanks

m
l
a b x TV
August 24, 2011 3:47:52 PM

That's just a USB connection, won't help you out unless you want to just link it to yur TV to transfer data to off a shared drive or something. But I'm thinking it won't recognize it properly.
m
l
August 24, 2011 4:16:31 PM

yes, you are right, that wouldn't work. but with the issue of getting a USB port into the living room solved with the USB over IP hub, then the idea is to use a "DIAMOND V-Stream wireless PC to TV WPCTV1080H USB to HDMI Interface 1080p" plugged into one of the USB ports. It has a USB port on one side an HDMI connection for the TV. Use a couple of other hub ports for a wireless keyboard and mouse and, who knows, maybe it will actually work!
m
l
a b x TV
August 24, 2011 4:27:36 PM

Regular USB devices probaby won't work with that USB interface. That usb hub, as well as any network hubs, are designed to be used with storage and printers, not actual USB devices like you are trying to do. Since you already have a laptop hanging around, try that.
m
l
August 24, 2011 4:38:42 PM

hmmmm, i didn't know that! gotta reset my thinking...
m
l
a b x TV
August 24, 2011 4:51:14 PM

kurt hansen said:
hmmmm, i didn't know that! gotta reset my thinking...

Think of the USB network connection this way, you plug in a USB storage device into the WiFi USB, that device then has to assign it a driver and be able to read the storage in some way. That's not too hard as drive standards and interfaces are very standard. One hard-drive can be read as easy as another. Same thing for printers, you can only send so many print commands over to them, so not too bad.

Then you get into regular devices. You plug in a USB modem, it needs drivers to run, normally a PC will just say, "insert driver disk" and off you go. But for a wifi USB device, it's not a PC, it does not have a general use CPU or an operating system to control a ton of different devices, it just knows that you just plugged in something that it does not know what it is, but it also has no way of asking to load the drivers, not know what to do with those driver files even if you managed to somehow shove them into the device.
m
l
!