Is this good for a gold certified psu

techmaniac1991

Honorable
Oct 13, 2012

So its not really gold certified then :eek: i thought that was a great price for a modular psu. Well i suppose it will do the job , ive already orderd it lol.

This Aerocool might be a quality PSU, but in the past Aerocool has not been a reliable brand.
Here are some comments on some of their reviewed units:

MODEL WATTS PROBLEMS AND ISSUES REVIEWS
E85M-550 550 Did not meet Bronze effcieincy at load. Voltage regulation failed on -12V rail during light load test. Ripple and noise high at 550 watts. Hardware Secrets
V12XT 600 Did not meet Bronze effcieincy at load. Voltage regulation failed on -12V rail during light load test. Ripple and noise high at 600 watts. Hardware Secrets
VP-550 550 No certification. No dedicated voltage regulation. Poor cross-load voltage stability. +3.3V, +5V, and +12V rails went out of spec. Xbit Laboratories
VP-650 650 No certification. No dedicated voltage regulation. Poor cross-load voltage stability. +3.3V, +5V, and +12V rails went out of spec. Xbit Laboratories
VP-750 750 No certification. Poor cross-load voltage stability. Xbit Laboratories

Maybe they've changed, but maybe they haven't, I wouldn't gamble unless the unit you are interested in
has positive review(s) from jonnyguru, hardware secrets, Guru3d.

Tom

Ah - you ordered it - hope it works out well.

Yes it is 80 Plus Gold certified. But the 80 Plus certification program is only a measure of efficiency, it is not a measure of quality. There have also been more than one Andyson built PSU that when tested by a review site such as HardOCP, JG, HWS, etc, have been shown to have efficiency below the level expected/suggested by whatever certification it had.
This article explains more about why an 80 Plus certification is not that important of a factor when making decisions about what PSU to buy:
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/10/04/80_plus_irrelevant_to_you_when_buying_psu/

It will certainly be better than the VP series.
Not being certified is not a problem, as long as the unit does in fact have high efficiency and is high quality, which is not the case for the VP series.
Since when did Guru3D publish worthwhile PSU reviews?

You can disagree obviously, but I happen to find their reviews worthwhile, in fact was reading one
of their's (Corsair gs800) when I got your post, find it thorough as far as I've gone.

Tom

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Why-99-Percent-of-Power-Supply-Reviews-Are-Wrong/410
I agree with what Gabe says in that article; sites which don't test PSUs properly (ie use load testers and accurate measuring equipment), which Guru3D don't, then they should call them 'previews' or a 'first look' rather than reviews.
Obviously previews can be useful for finding out 'minor' details, like what the unit looks like or how many cables it has or how long they are (although still too few sites actually provide concise cable length measurements), etc, which can help inform a PSU buying decision. But if the main decision is about quality then previews are not helpful.