E8400 multiplier stuck at 6

regularguy290

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
hello all,
i recently purchased an e8400 to install in an old build to hopefully add some speed. well, the multiplier is stuck at 6 so it won't go above 2Ghz, even when using prime95 to get it to step up.
Things i have tried:
i cleared the cmos after installing, all i changed in the bios after that was turning AHCI like it was before. then figured out it wasn't going full throttle.
i set windows power management to high performance.
i went in to the very basic bios and, using google, disabled everything i could relating to power management.

the motherboard is an ECS GF7100PVT-M3. my roommate has a slightly newer build with and e8400 that i could borrow, if i asked real nice, to see if i got a dud cpu. but before i do all that work i hoped i could get some help from this great community.

has anyone else ever been able to resolve this?

thanks in advance,
RegGuy290

regularguy290

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
i just disabled virtualization and it still is stuck at 6. is there a list of everything i should disable?

i tried updating the bios but AFUWIN won't work with win7 64-bit. and i don't know how to use AFUDOS. and the bios update i think only adds support for e8600. e8400 is on the list for compatible processors from the first stock bios.

regularguy290

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012

turns out i don't have REAL ami bios. no ami bios version numbers on the POST screen and no printed ami logo on the board. so their utilities won't work even if i could from a 64bit environment. sad day. at least newegg carries a few more 775 boards now if i get real desperate for the speed. right now it is faster than the e4600 that i pulled out so that's not bad.