Nikon D50 V Pentax *ist DL

Last response: in Digital Camera
July 31, 2005 5:39:13 PM

Hi folks,

Just about to take the plunge with my first Digital SLR purchase. I am
looking at the Nikon D50 which seems to get good reviews in it's role
as a 'first timers digital SLR'

However Pentax have muddied my waters by introducing the *ist DL -
I am attracted by the use of std. AA batteries and by it's overall
smaller size. There does not seem to be many reviews on this model
just yet.

Any body with a knowledge of the specs. of these two models care to
share a view on which they would go for......

Many thanks.

----
MJG
martin.gilligan@THEDOGntlworld.com
take THEDOG out to email me.

More about : nikon d50 pentax ist

Anonymous
July 31, 2005 5:39:14 PM

MJG <martin.gilligan@THEDOGntlworld.com> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> Just about to take the plunge with my first Digital SLR purchase. I am
> looking at the Nikon D50 which seems to get good reviews in it's role as a
> 'first timers digital SLR'
>
> However Pentax have muddied my waters by introducing the *ist DL - I am
> attracted by the use of std. AA batteries and by it's overall smaller
> size. There does not seem to be many reviews on this model just yet.
>
> Any body with a knowledge of the specs. of these two models care to share
> a view on which they would go for......

All other things being equal, figure out which lenses you want to buy
down the road, and then buy the camera that fits them. The idea of
'first timer' implies a second and maybe a third time as well, so if you
think you'll outgrow the camera you're about to buy, then at least get
lenses which you can use with that second or third body. Or will at
least have resale value. :-)

As far as I know, the *ist DL isn't available yet, though I could be
wrong. Read *ist DS reviews to get close to what you need. The main
differences are that the DL has a larger LCD and a penta-mirror instead
of a pentaprism.
Anonymous
July 31, 2005 10:49:49 PM

I had the same decision to make two and a half years ago when I got
sick of 1.4mp images out of my Oly D-600L.
Only then, it was the Minolta Dimage 7i which caught my eye.
What cinched it for me(at the time) was that the DSLR cameras were more
than twice the price and only came with a shortish zoom lens (like the
18-55mm with the 300D).
I'm still to be convinced, as there hasn't been test photos or a
resolution chart posted yet for the new Fuji s9000 on dpreview.com to
make a decent comparison.
OTOH, if the Fuji meets and/or excedes your requirements, go for it.
July 31, 2005 10:55:18 PM

What surprised me is that the ist-DL is available in Sydney (Australia)
already.
It has less AF sensor points and some other bits reduced, as well the
penta-mirror as you pointed out.
We're (Australia) usually the last to get and (almost) the most
expensive place to buy a digital camera.
I looked on in envy as the USA was able to buy retail a 300D at sub
$1000, while we had to stump up almost $2000.
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 3:05:34 AM

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 11:44:34 -0700, usenet@mile23.c0m (Paul Mitchum)
wrote:

>All other things being equal, figure out which lenses you want to buy
<SNIP>

Thanks Paul -

The waters have gotten even muddier tonight after looking on DP review
I see Fuji have just launched a 'DSLR style' camera Fine pix s9000
(USA version) and s9500 (European version).

http://www.fujifilm.com/JSP/fuji/epartners/digitalS9000...

I was convinced I wanted a 'proper' DSLR but am very attracted to
this.

The tilting LCD seems a good idea as does the ability to go from 28mm
to 300mm without the need to fiddle about changing lenses.

Not a purists camera obviously but it seems to have the ability to
satisfy most enthusiastic photographers.....damn it..... depending on
how much this is going to cost I may have to re-think.

Other similar 'high end' SLR models have been available for some time
(notably models from Nikon and the Powershot pro1from Canon) but this
one from Fuji looks just great......

----
MJG
martin.gilligan@THEDOGntlworld.com
take THEDOG out to email me.
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 3:27:46 PM

[...]

Remember that this is a point-n-shoot digicam with a body that makes it look
like a DSLR. The main reason it can have a 10x optical zoom is because it's easier to
build one for a smaller sensor. Looking at the specs, you see this:

CCD Sensor 1/1.6-inch super CCD HR
Number of total Pixels: 9.24 million pixels

According to this:
http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/Glossary/Camera_System/...

that's about ~7.5x5.5mm sensor size. Real DSLRs have at least an APS-sized sensor
(~24x16mm). That's a factor of 8-10 more area of a sensor for a DSLR. With such a
significantly smaller sensor (and lots of megapixels crammed in there), you get lots
of noise by comparison.

Bottom line: Don't let the marketspeak droids and the numbers on the box convince you
that this is an equivalent to a DSLR. It's got lots more bells and whistles, but it's
missing the one thing that really counts: image capture quality. If you always have
more light than you need, it'll be fine. If you ever need higher ISO and/or need a
faster lens, you're screwed.

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss *
August 1, 2005 3:55:17 PM

MJG wrote:
> On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 11:44:34 -0700, usenet@mile23.c0m (Paul Mitchum)
> wrote:
>

>>All other things being equal, figure out which lenses you want to buy
>
> <SNIP>
>
> Thanks Paul -
>

> The waters have gotten even muddier tonight after looking on DP review
> I see Fuji have just launched a 'DSLR style' camera Fine pix s9000
> (USA version) and s9500 (European version).
>
> http://www.fujifilm.com/JSP/fuji/epartners/digitalS9000...
>
> I was convinced I wanted a 'proper' DSLR but am very attracted to
> this.
>
> The tilting LCD seems a good idea as does the ability to go from 28mm
> to 300mm without the need to fiddle about changing lenses.
>
> Not a purists camera obviously but it seems to have the ability to
> satisfy most enthusiastic photographers.....damn it..... depending on
> how much this is going to cost I may have to re-think.
>
> Other similar 'high end' SLR models have been available for some time
> (notably models from Nikon and the Powershot pro1from Canon) but this
> one from Fuji looks just great......
>

> ----
> MJG
> martin.gilligan@THEDOGntlworld.com
> take THEDOG out to email me.

You are lucky that you don't know the difference between dSLR and the
pseudos. You'll save a lot of money. The specification of the Fujifilm
S9000 looks good to many newbies on paper but you must look deep than
skin to know if it's good for you.

1. Cordy already mentioned that the S9000 has a small sensor. Depite
Fujifilm claims that the 5th generation SuperCCD HD is good at low
light, it's won't be as good as dSLR and it'd be worse than F10 because
each sensor pixel is smaller than F10. F10 has about 1 stop advantage
over other P&S. Figure S9000 would be around half a stop.

2. The S9000 has a long lens. However, it's hard to get sharp image with
a long lens without image stabilization. The maximum (smallest f number)
aperture at the long end of the zoom is f/4.9. It's a slow lens and make
it even worse to use without IS.

3. Speed. I don't know about S9000 but it's very unlikely that it'd
match any dSLRs. The time for the camera to clear the buffer, shot to
shot delay, etc.

Still if you don't know much about photography, there is no point to
spend money on a dSLR and lenses. You'd be happier to use whatever
you'll get. It'll be much better than your current camera, nonetheless.
Just bear in mind that don't be fooled by the marketing, "SLR style."
It's not but just a high end digital P&S with better hand grip and a
longer lens.
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 9:43:02 PM

On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 11:55:17 GMT, l e o <someone@somewhere.net> wrote:

>You are lucky that you don't know the difference between dSLR

< heavy snip>

Much food for thought here folks many thanks for the input. I had had
my head turned by the Fuji s9000 but I think I am back on track given
what has been said.

Fuji made much of the avoidance of internal dust contamination because
of there being no need to change lenses, but yes I now recognize that
as marketing hype. I presume as long as you take care when changing
lenses and always ensure a body cap is fitted if a lens is not, all
should be fine.

I was also attracted by the tilting LCD but doing a bit of research I
see you can by a 'clip on' LCD for DSLR's that projects the image
from the eyepiece allowing low down/high up shooting, so that solves
that one.

Front runner then is the Nikon D50 it seems to be getting good reviews
already and is within my price range....

Thanks again folks.

----
MJG
martin.gilligan@THEDOGntlworld.com
take THEDOG out to email me.
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 5:50:48 AM

In article <dclrlo$ss8$1@solaris.cc.vt.edu>,
papenfussDIESPAM@juneauDOTmeDOTvt.edu wrote:

For me, I wanted standard NiMH AA batteries (rather
___than
___expensive, proprietary LiIon). I also wanted to use the existing lenses I
___had
___(Pentax) as well as buy extremely cheap, old, used lenses and use them with
___minimal
___limitations. So far I'm not dissapointed at all with my *ist-DS.
___
___-Cory

Exactly my situation.
Like to use 4 x AA ( rechargeable ) with CRV3 x2 as backup.

Just came back from a hiking trip and took the *istDS.

Instead of the Sigma 28-70 EX lens, took an old F 1.7, 50 mm Pentax M
series.

Works great as a manual focus lens.

http://users.bigpond.net.au/web_page/

Steve
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 12:51:19 PM

"Steve Davies" <steve@davies.name> wrote in message
> In article <dclrlo$ss8$1@solaris.cc.vt.edu>,
> papenfussDIESPAM@juneauDOTmeDOTvt.edu wrote:
>

> For me, I wanted standard NiMH AA batteries (rather
> ___than
> ___expensive, proprietary LiIon). I also wanted to use the existing
> lenses I
> ___had
> ___(Pentax) as well as buy extremely cheap, old, used lenses and use them
> with
> ___minimal
> ___limitations. So far I'm not dissapointed at all with my *ist-DS.
> ___
> ___-Cory
>

> Exactly my situation.
> Like to use 4 x AA ( rechargeable ) with CRV3 x2 as backup.
>

> Just came back from a hiking trip and took the *istDS.
>
> Instead of the Sigma 28-70 EX lens, took an old F 1.7, 50 mm Pentax M
> series.
>
> Works great as a manual focus lens.
>
> http://users.bigpond.net.au/web_page/
>

> Steve

Hey Steve, how about finishing off that job??

Pete
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 12:02:45 AM

On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 08:51:19 GMT, "Pete D" <no@email.com> wrote:

>Hey Steve, how about finishing off that job??

Sorry Pete Jobs finished.....

Finally went for the Nikon D50........

Great deal from http://www.warehouseexpress.com/

Did originally think AA rechargeables would be an advantage but I
didn't take into account the extra cost of a good quality AA charger
and batteries.

Also no reviews yet available on the *ist DL due to it being very new
but some (and good ones too) available for the Nikon D50 clinched
it...............

----
MJG
martin.gilligan@THEDOGntlworld.com
take THEDOG out to email me.
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 12:02:46 AM

MJG <martin.gilligan@THEDOGntlworld.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 08:51:19 GMT, "Pete D" <no@email.com> wrote:
>
> >Hey Steve, how about finishing off that job??
>
> Sorry Pete Jobs finished.....

I think he's referring to this:
<http://users.bigpond.net.au/web_page/page2.html&gt;
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 9:54:47 PM

The D50 lacks DOF.

The DL as far as I know has DOF... and the DL has cheaper lenses.

T.
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 4:34:05 AM

In article <buGHe.69698$oJ.30782@news-server.bigpond.net.au>,
"Pete D" <no@email.com> wrote:

___
___Hey Steve, how about finishing off that job??
___
___Pete

HI Pete,

Will get there soon

Steve
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 4:45:26 AM

In article <6ujve1hdbagvhdkbtalorvlms8r2o7ut8f@4ax.com>,

___----
___MJG
___martin.gilligan@THEDOGntlworld.com

I have the *istDS and spent $100 on chrager and 4x AA NiMH single cells.
They are 2500 mAh and seem to get around 400 shots per charge.

The CRV3 that I use for back up seem to work forever ( maybe 1000 plus
shots.) Which is great as a back up but.....

CRV3's cost around $40 for two, so the rechargable work out well for
ususual shooting. But nice to have CRV3 in back pack ( when hiking) as
spares.

I have Pentax ( old M series ) and Sigma Lenses ( EX series ) from my
MZ7 so that is the main reason I went for the *istDS.

Did not want to spend another $ 2000 on lenses.

So that was my solution, and we all have different situations.

Anyway have lots of fun taking pictures

Steve
!