Distinguished
Apr 7, 2012
My current rig is:
ASUS RAMPAGE III Formula
Intel i7 960 @ 3.2
Corsair H70 Watercooler
Corsair Dominator 12GB
EVGA GTX 670 FTW

I was having the itch to upgrade to z77 but would need all new components which could get expensive. I'll wait for Haswell instead.

I've been trying to reach 4.2 overclock on my 960 but my temps get dangerously high when I torture test.
Not very happy with the way it overclocks. I've heard that 990x overclocks way easier and temps are much lower.

If I've found a 990x that I could purchase for $300 would it be worth it to reach overclocking goals and scratch my itch til Haswell?

Cuzzin Chizzy

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2012
I just really want to have a high overclock without worrying about system temps. 960 runs at 39 to 40 degrees on idle. My friends 2600k runs 10 degrees cooler. Same H70 cooler and all.

Just was wondering if the 990x would give me the oc and temps I'm lookin' for.

horaciopz

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011
Something you should try is some custom wattercooling set up. Actually H70 are "good enough" for some OC, I think its on pair of some of the best air coolers out there, the problem comes is that if you have that H70 for long time, it start degrading, and losing performance.

If you get a dual radiator custom set up, your temps will be as low as you want. Also, you wont spend more than 300$ and it will be usefull for your next upgrade.

You can get up to 300$ mark getting a block for the GPU and stuff like that. You should know that for overclocking, the most responsible of Overclocking headroom is your cooling, more cooling, more OC.

Think about it, your i7 is not outdated "that much" is just some darn good tech that still works as intended.

What does it run under load? 40C is actually not a bad idle. That CPU should handle up to 70C without issue under load, maybe hotter. Yes, the 2600K is going to run cooler, its a newer more efficient architecture (moreso than 990X is). But, no I really don't see the point in running out and buying a new CPU, if you have the money to do it, go for it, but I just don't see why its necessary.

TRENDING THREADS