First Time Build, Video Card Failure? Help!

am3rican3lite

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012
Hey guys, It has always been my dream to build a computer. I finally got the money, and all the parts last night. Then i hit a wall. I put all the parts in the Mobo Just fine and then i went to plug it in, nothing at first. I reseated everything, and not (with the video card in) i get 1 long beep and 3 short (hardware failure). and without it, nothing happens. I did just as a last resort put an nvidia 9800 gt in there and it sucessfully would post but then stop and start again (i think because i have an AMD Board or does that matter).

Specs:
AMD 8 core 3.6 ghz processor
Radeon 6970
Asus m5a97
16 GB Corshair Vengeance
850 Watt PSU (working correctly)

What could be happening? Please help as i don't want to wait another week for parts :/

Thanks in advance Dan

am3rican3lite

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012
Ok I may have found my problem. I haven't installed the mounting screws. But I did forget to mention that when I turn it on with the 6970 installed the computer tries to Post or whatever for a few seconds, then (immediately following beeps signaling hardware failire) my video card's fan goes berserk and is incredibly loud. Then the computer will not successfully post or boot at all. Could not installing mounting screws do this?

am3rican3lite

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012
Ok thank you so much for the speedy replies! I will definately be contributing to these forums more! But if the.mounting screws aren't the problem would you say it is the video card? (Because of the beeps and the LOUD fan)

am3rican3lite

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012
I have tried all of that. I will retry it after I put the mounting screws on and then I will let you know. Guys thanks so much for the help! Seriously I would have never found that I didn't have the mounting screws.

Wolfshadw

Titan
If it's not the mounting screws, then an easy test would be to take a different graphics card (from another system or borrow one from a friend) and try booting with that card installed.

I'm still leaning towards the BIOS update, but that's not as easy to troubleshoot if the system won't stay up long enough for you to update it. If you have a local computer store they might be able to help you with a BIOS update.

-Wolf sends