Sign in with
Your question

Win7 stopped detecting 2nd display, a TV

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 28, 2012 12:40:49 PM

Only about a week since I installed Win7. At first, under the Properties/ScreenResolution it accurately showed my 2 displays, a 23 monitor and an Hitachi HDTV. Putting the TV on the correct input I could only get the PC's wallpaper. So I fiddled a bit trying to get the PC's full display, desktop icons etc. No go. THEN the Hitachi just disappeared from the Properties/ScreenResolution - it only shows the monitor.

Btw, the connectors to the TV are HDMI for video and S/PDIF for audio. And when I was just getting the wallpaper I had a video going on the PC and no sound on the TV. I had this setup working perfectly under XPsp3, and no physical wiring has changed. Under XP I had Catalyst installed, not yet under Win7. Maybe that would help?

So I need help solving 3 problems:

1. get the Hitachi back
2. once back, get the Hitachi to show the PC's icons etc, the whole interactive desktop
3. audio

Operating System
MS Windows 7 32-bit SP1
CPU
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ 44 °C
Brisbane 65nm Technology
RAM
2.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 383MHz (5-5-5-15)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK Computer INC. M2A-VM HDMI (Socket AM2 ) 40 °C
Graphics
ASUS VH235 (1920x1080@60Hz)
ATI Radeon HD 5570 (Sapphire/PCPartner) 42 °C
Audio
High Definition Audio Device

April 29, 2012 11:17:50 AM

UPDATE: reading this...

Quote:
Why doesn't my PC know when 1080p TV is attached via HDMI? - Graphics-Cards - Graphic-Displays

"Assuming you have windows 7...

1) right click desktop
2) click screen resolution
3) If you see 2 screens with a 1 and a 2 in it, click the other display and select "Extend these displays" in the pulldown menu
4) If it does NOT detect the second display, make sure the TV input is on the right one and hit the detect button "

... by turning on the TV power and the HT Receiver in the middle, now my Screen Rez panel in Win7 shows the 2 displays AND the TV is now again showing my PC's wallpaper :??:  . Still NO ICONS or audio though :pfff:  . The control is already pre-set to "Extend these displays" so I thought to come off that to Show Desktop only on main (the PC) and then return to Extend, to make the OS execute Extend. Still no go 'tho. :fou: 
m
l
April 30, 2012 1:03:44 AM

UPDATE: I guess some people are reading this, but nobody's been able to offer any help. So... self-help!

I discovered that despite reading "Extend these displays" over and over here and elsewhere on the net, for me it's not. It's the other choice, "DUPLICATE THESE DISPLAYS" with that setting applied I get the whole Windows 7 desktop, not just the wallpaper. I was afraid to try that because what if the TV's wallpaper-only got duplicated on the PC? Yay! :lol: 

There remain 2 problems to solve.

Still no PC audio coming through the HT receiver when set to the PC input. Maybe there's some tweak in Devices or Sound I need to do. Not true under XP, it was automatic.

If I turn off the receiver or even just change its input channel to say DVD or Cable, back at the PC the control panel reverts to a single display, the PC monitor, with obviously no choice to Duplicate. This wasn't true either under XP, it would retain the dual display choices under all conditions.

m
l
Related resources
May 7, 2012 12:19:47 AM

On the lack of audio to the HT receiver, I've now spoken with the techs from:
ASUS - the maker of my mobo and s/pdif adapter card
ONKYO - the maker of the receiver
MICROSOFT - the OS
No one had any idea...
m
l
September 21, 2012 1:35:29 AM

rootazoid said:
Only about a week since I installed Win7. At first, under the Properties/ScreenResolution it accurately showed my 2 displays, a 23 monitor and an Hitachi HDTV. Putting the TV on the correct input I could only get the PC's wallpaper. So I fiddled a bit trying to get the PC's full display, desktop icons etc. No go. THEN the Hitachi just disappeared from the Properties/ScreenResolution - it only shows the monitor.

Btw, the connectors to the TV are HDMI for video and S/PDIF for audio. And when I was just getting the wallpaper I had a video going on the PC and no sound on the TV. I had this setup working perfectly under XPsp3, and no physical wiring has changed. Under XP I had Catalyst installed, not yet under Win7. Maybe that would help?

So I need help solving 3 problems:

1. get the Hitachi back
2. once back, get the Hitachi to show the PC's icons etc, the whole interactive desktop
3. audio

Operating System
MS Windows 7 32-bit SP1
CPU
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ 44 °C
Brisbane 65nm Technology
RAM
2.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 383MHz (5-5-5-15)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK Computer INC. M2A-VM HDMI (Socket AM2 ) 40 °C
Graphics
ASUS VH235 (1920x1080@60Hz)
ATI Radeon HD 5570 (Sapphire/PCPartner) 42 °C
Audio
High Definition Audio Device

As far as for myself... every time that I update catalyst I have this problem.

In all honesty, I'm not sure why this tends to work for me. I'm running 6870 in crossfire. Usually I restart once with no monitor plugged in. Then I plug one in.. restart again. Plug the second one into both the other card and the original. usually then it works. No idea why i have to unplug and restart then keep plugging stuff in.. very frustrating.
m
l
October 1, 2012 9:46:54 AM

I'm returning to the thread just for a minute so it doesn't die. Eventually I solved the original problem, got everything working. Then in August I built a new PC, same Radeon, HDMI cable going to the same receiver but now a TOSLINK optical for sound since the new mobo only has optical. I've struggled for a few hours but still no 2ND DISPLAY, NO SOUND AND NO VIDEO to the receiver/TV. So far I've only talked with Onkyo tech. When I get back to troubleshooting I'll try this plug/unplug strategy and report back. I've got this page 'pinned'.
m
l
!