Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Can't decide between these two builds

Last response: in Systems
Share
June 22, 2012 1:18:49 PM

Hey all,

I am looking to get my first custom built computer in the next couple of weeks and I am trying to decide between two very similar builds; the cost of both builds is almost identical. My main usage is for gaming, surfing and the like. Anyway any advice on which one to go for and why would be appreciated.

1st Build
CPU: Intel Core i7 3770K/3.50GHz/8MB CACHE/LGA1155 Ivy Bridge
Mobo: Asus MAXIMUS V-GENE/Z77/4 x DDR3/2 x PCI-E3.0 x 16/4 x SATA3/6 x USB3.0/HDMI/DP/7.1CH/GBLAN/RAID/Cro
RAM: Corsair Vengeance CMZ16GX3M4X1600C9G 16GB (4x4GB) 1600MHz DDR3 CL9 Vengeance Performance with XMP 1
SSD: SanDisk Extreme SSD 480G - SATA3/MLC/SF-2281/3Yrs
GPU: Sapphire ATI HD7950 OC 3GB GDDR5 2MDP/HDMI
PSU: Thermaltake TR-600P TR2 RX 600W 80+
Case: CoolerMaster RC-932-KKN5-GP HAF Advanced Black Case USB3.0
Cooling: Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H40 Hydro CPU Cooler

2nd Build
CPU: Intel Core i7 3930K Processor LGA2011 3.2GHz 12M Cache 6 Cores
Mobo: Asus P9X79 MB, Socket 2011, X79
RAM: Corsair Vengeance CMZ16GX3M4X1600C9G 16GB (4x4GB) 1600MHz DDR3 CL9 Vengeance Performance with XMP 1
SSD: SanDisk Extreme SSD 480G - SATA3/MLC/SF-2281/3Yrs
GPU: Sapphire HD7850 OC 2G 256Bit GDDR5 PCIE3.0 DVI HDMI 2*MiniDSP
PSU: Thermaltake TR-600P TR2 RX 600W 80+
Case: CoolerMaster RC-932-KKN5-GP HAF Advanced Black Case USB3.0
Cooling: Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H40 Hydro CPU Cooler

Some notes. I opted for a big SSD because the read speed is more important to me than space. All my programs will go on the SSD while I have external HDD's for music, movies and files. At least for the first year or two after buying this system I don't want to overclock; I've never done it before and would rather not screw up an expensive computer rushing into it.

I have some questions.

1. Is a 600W power system big enough/too big?

2. Since I won't be overclocking regardless of what build I get, is the H40 liquid cooler big enough to deal with stock heat production in both chipsets?

3. Is the better GPU in the first build worth the loss of the 3930K chip?

4. If I go with the 3930K is the HD7850 up to the task of whipping any games that are likely in the next year or so? By then I could afford to either put in a second 7850 or up to a 7970.

Answers, comments and thoughts are greatly appreciated.

More about : decide builds

June 22, 2012 2:51:42 PM

1) I think a 600W PSU will do the trick. You could get a 650W to be sure.
2) Since you won't be overclocking the H40, the CPU and the mobo are a waste of money compared to @stock similar performing much cheaper alternatives.
3)Your purpose for this build is gaming, getting a good GPU is one of your main concerns. So no. And, as a matter of fact, the 3770K outperforms the 3930K in gaming anyway.
4)Considering your budget I'd get an 7870 or better.

My own thoughts:
You want a gaming build. CPU's better than the i5 3570K don't yield an increase in FPS. Not one you'll notice anyway. You don't want to overclock, so you don't need a more expensive unlocked CPU, high-end mobo and liquid cooling solution. Even the stock fan can handle a non OC CPU's heat. It was designed for that. Spend that money on the GPU and you will get much better gaming performance.
m
0
l
June 22, 2012 2:54:11 PM

i7 has hyperthreading, which won't help you in gaming or surfing. You should look at i5, it's much cheaper.

Also 16GB is overkill, you wouldn't even use a full 8GB for gaming or surfing.

If I had to choose between those two, definitely the first one. s2011 is a workstation platform, not really a gaming/surfing platform.

Keep in mind you could build your own for much cheaper. The Maximus mobo's are twice as expensive as what you need. Your not even overclocking, so why pay for a $250 mobo, watercooling, and a K series cpu?? Makes no sense.

For a lot less money you could get a better psu, less ram, less expensive mobo and a i5. Then you would have enough money for a top of the line video card.

A 500w psu would be enough, so 600w is just fine.

If you want to take a shot at building your own, or getting someone to do it for you, fill out the new build form in the new build section of the forum. You'll end up with a better machine for a lot less money.
m
0
l
Related resources
June 23, 2012 2:40:31 PM

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the informative answers. Now hopefully you'll let me pick your brains with a couple of new build options and some more questions :p 

Build 1:

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K LGA1155 CPU 3.4Ghz 6Mb Cache Ivy Bridge
Mobo: Asus P8Z77-M PRO
RAM: Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3
SSD: SanDisk Extreme SSD 480G - SATA3/MLC/SF-2281/3Yrs
GPU: Sapphire ATI HD 7970 OC 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 1000/5800 Mhz, D-DVI, HDMI, 2x Mi
PSU: CoolerMaster 650W GX 80+
Cooler: Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H40 Hydro CPU Cooler


Build 2:

CPU: Intel Core i7 2700K Processor LGA1155 3.5GHz CPU
Mobo: Asus P8Z77-M PRO
RAM: Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3
SSD: SanDisk Extreme SSD 480G - SATA3/MLC/SF-2281/3Yrs
GPU: Sapphire ATI HD 7970 OC 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 1000/5800 Mhz, D-DVI, HDMI, 2x Mi
PSU: CoolerMaster 650W GX 80+
Cooler: Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H40 Hydro CPU Cooler

A couple of questions if I may:

1. Can I take it that since neither of you said anything about the case or SSD that the HAF 932 and SanDisk 480 are good choices?

2. I am flying blind a bit when it comes to mobos, I selected ones that looked like they were good and would have plenty of space and capability for possible future upgrading and maybe overclocking. If you guys think there are better options out there I would be glad to hear it?

3. The 3570K is $100 dollars cheaper than the 2700K, which one offers superior performance when run a stock speeds and which one is more stable when OC'ed?

4. With the money saved on chipsets and mobos I can upgrade the GPU, on these builds I have HD 7970 OCs but I can afford in my budget to go up to Gigabyte GF GTX 680 OCs. I read online that the 680s are superior but I'd like your opinions as the Nvidia tech is around 120 bucks more expensive per card. Is it worth the money?

5. Both of you seem to think the liquid cooling system is overkill but at 68 dollars it would appear to only be a little bit more expensive than the alternative fan-based options and it does offer superior cooling I assume. So is it really not worth having the H40 in there?

Thanks for you help all.
m
0
l
June 23, 2012 2:41:03 PM

Thomas_89 said:
1) I think a 600W PSU will do the trick. You could get a 650W to be sure.
2) Since you won't be overclocking the H40, the CPU and the mobo are a waste of money compared to @stock similar performing much cheaper alternatives.
3)Your purpose for this build is gaming, getting a good GPU is one of your main concerns. So no. And, as a matter of fact, the 3770K outperforms the 3930K in gaming anyway.
4)Considering your budget I'd get an 7870 or better.

My own thoughts:
You want a gaming build. CPU's better than the i5 3570K don't yield an increase in FPS. Not one you'll notice anyway. You don't want to overclock, so you don't need a more expensive unlocked CPU, high-end mobo and liquid cooling solution. Even the stock fan can handle a non OC CPU's heat. It was designed for that. Spend that money on the GPU and you will get much better gaming performance.


Thanks mate, this answer was very helpful
m
0
l
June 23, 2012 2:42:12 PM

geekapproved said:
i7 has hyperthreading, which won't help you in gaming or surfing. You should look at i5, it's much cheaper.

Also 16GB is overkill, you wouldn't even use a full 8GB for gaming or surfing.

If I had to choose between those two, definitely the first one. s2011 is a workstation platform, not really a gaming/surfing platform.

Keep in mind you could build your own for much cheaper. The Maximus mobo's are twice as expensive as what you need. Your not even overclocking, so why pay for a $250 mobo, watercooling, and a K series cpu?? Makes no sense.

For a lot less money you could get a better psu, less ram, less expensive mobo and a i5. Then you would have enough money for a top of the line video card.

A 500w psu would be enough, so 600w is just fine.

If you want to take a shot at building your own, or getting someone to do it for you, fill out the new build form in the new build section of the forum. You'll end up with a better machine for a lot less money.


Thanks for the prompt answer, it's nice to know that there are sites where the less computer knowledgable can go to get help mate.
m
0
l

Best solution

June 23, 2012 3:29:12 PM

Lrae Nekram said:
Thanks mate, this answer was very helpful

You are welcome :) 

About your questions:
1) The HAF 932 is an excellent case, I personally don't like its aesthetics but that's just me :p  Now, about the SSD. I don't know. Tom's Hardware Best SSDs for the Money doesn't list any SSDs over 256GB so it could be that performance on such large SSDs actually deminishes. To me it seems unlikely but definitely something to check out.
2)I can recommend the AsRock Z77 Extreme 4. I heard nothing but good things about it and I'm buying it next week. But probably any Z77 of $100 and above will do fine. If you want the option of SLI/CF make sure to get one that supports it.
3)Get the i5 3570K. It is really all you need and more. The 2700K is more stable in OC because Sandy runs cooler than Ivy but only above around 4.5Ghz depending on the chip.
4)I would get an GTX670. It simply doesn't get much better than that. If you can find a cheaper HD7970 you could get that too, it performs very similar to the GTX670. Only get it if its cheaper though. Also, personally I never bother with the OC version because its really simple to that yourself.
5)I don't have any experience with water cooling but I think you just don't need it. I suggest you ask this is the water cooling section though.
Share
June 25, 2012 4:30:10 AM

Thanks for all the help guys.

Based on your advice this is the system I am going to be getting.

CPU: i5 3570K
Mobo: AsRock Z77-Extreme 4
RAM: Corsair 8GB 1600MHz
SSD: SanDisk Extreme 480GB
GPU: EVGA GTX 670
Case: Cooler Master HAF 932
PSU: Cooler Master 650W GX 80+
Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

Anyone with final thoughts on this?
m
0
l
June 25, 2012 8:07:42 AM

One final thought: Cooler Master doesn't make the best PSU's. You'd be better of with this Antec or Corsair.
Otherwise excellent build!
P.S. why no HDD for storage?
m
0
l
June 25, 2012 8:22:19 AM

If you can get your hands on a Asus direct CU II top 670 card they are supposed to be one of the best 670 cards but they are more exspensive than the other brands and alot of place are low/out of stop apparently.
m
0
l
June 25, 2012 8:26:37 AM

Keep in mind you could build your own for much cheaper. The Maximus mobo's are twice as expensive as what you need. Your not even overclocking, so why pay for a $250 mobo, watercooling, and a K series cpu?? Makes no sense.
m
0
l
June 25, 2012 8:33:47 AM

Shiinsuh said:
Keep in mind you could build your own for much cheaper. The Maximus mobo's are twice as expensive as what you need. Your not even overclocking, so why pay for a $250 mobo, watercooling, and a K series cpu?? Makes no sense.http://www.egala.info/g.php

Have you read hist last post?
m
0
l
June 25, 2012 12:22:13 PM

Thomas_89 said:

Quote:
One final thought: Cooler Master doesn't make the best PSU's. You'd be better of with this Antecor Corsair.
Otherwise excellent build!
P.S. why no HDD for storage?


Thanks for the comments mate you've help a lot, I have switched the PSU to a Corsair HX-650 ATX. Also I can afford to stay easily within budget and put in a WD 500GB Caviar Blue. I wouldn't bother with anything bigger or faster though as I'd only be using it for files. It will be more convenient than using my external HD's too, the only reason that I can afford to put it in though is because your suggestions have brought down the cost of my system by $400 Australian.

Raktorn said:

Quote:
If you can get your hands on a Asus direct CU II top 670 card they are supposed to be one of the best 670 cards but they are more exspensive than the other brands and alot of place are low/out of stop apparently.


Hey Raktorn thanks for the suggestion, I looked into the ASUS CU II top 670. Unfortunately the store I am buying from is currently out of stock. So I probably won't pursue that option. But thanks anyway mate.

m
0
l
June 26, 2012 12:38:57 PM

Best answer selected by Lrae Nekram.
m
0
l
!