Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Is this a good budget build?

Last response: in Systems
June 22, 2012 1:25:00 PM

Okay, I recently purchased parts from a bunch of online stores and what-not, and I was aiming to build a decent socket 775 system. No, I am not looking to crossfire it, and I am not looking for top-end processors like i7's and what not. Here's the specs:

Motherboard: Asus P5Q-SE

RAM: 2x1 GB 667MHz Nanya, 1 GB 667MHz Hynix, 1 GB 667MHz Apida, all DDR2. (I know I shouldn't be frankensteining my ram here but you take what you can get xD. I figure that eventually i could push up to 1033MHz DDR2 12GB someday, but not yet.)

CPU: Now bear with me before I tell you because I KNOW your all going to want to rip my head off for this; Pentium D 945 3.40GHz. I purchased this processor because my CURRENT platform is an LGA775 Pentium 4 Cedar Mill. It was actually capable of running just cause 2 at decent speeds in tandem with my 4650 (MSI MD1G). In the mean time, I bought a Presler which is supposedly two Cedar Mill's on one die, which sounds fast enough to me for the mean time, though I DO realize that it has no support for several intel technologies, and completely lacks the SSE4 instruction set. Its just to tide me over until I upgrade to a core 2 duo, or core 2 quad.

PSU: Diablotek PSDA600 600 Watt PSU. This was purchased not exactly for build quality but mixed reviews. People were saying "I ******* hate this thing", and people were saying "Holy god, this thing is great, and so is the price!". I agree, the price was damn awesome, which is why im gonna bother risking buying this PSU. There were slightly more positive reviews, and most of the negative ones were related to "the cables are slightly short" or "the fan is a little loud.". I can live with those complaints :p .

Case: Antec Nine Hundred gaming case. 'Nuff said. =P

Graphics card: AMD Radeon HD 6770 from Gigabyte. 1GB GDDR5, core at 900MHz, ram at somewhere like 1033-1333MHz stock. :p  Direct x 11... not exactly a budget card but mid-High range :p .

So, thinking in the FUTURE, this system should be upgradable to have:

A core 2 Quad on LGA775
12 GB of DDR2 1033MHz RAM
An AMD Radeon 7xxx or maybe even 8xxx when their prices drop a bit or when they're released XD.
Lots of power from a PSU
A pretty, well ventilated case
Loads of room for HDD's and possibly SSD's (that motherboard has 6 SATA connectors, as does the PSU I beleive.)

For NOW it should be:

Pentium D 945 3.40 GHz on LGA775
4GB DDR2 667MHz RAM
AMD Radeon HD 6770 (Gygabyte) with 100mm fan
600Watt PSU
Antec Nine Hundred
2 SATA Drives, 1 PATA drive

Anyways.. do you think that this might be a good little system for under $300 at the moment? Thanks! :D 

More about : good budget build

June 25, 2012 2:43:36 AM

Actually, one of those sections has changed. Due to graduation, I have come into posession of a hefty little sum of cash which has allowed me to easily buy myself a Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66GHz to replace the Pentium D 945 3.40GHz CPU I had purchased. Both are in the mail and are on the way, so I suppose I could stick that Pentium D in my previous rig and sell that, or something, considering that its only using a Pentium 4 641 3.20GHz at the moment. :p 
m
l

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
June 25, 2012 3:02:49 AM

Enjoy. Good choice of video card (6770). Power supply with loose tolerance can cause lockups, bluescreens, etc. And you are right the pentium D was *NOT* a good idea. Good luck with the E6750.

Aside here is a CPU table. Note how a $90 Pentium G860 compares with the E6750 for gaming. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-o... Buying new, socket 775 was interesting choice.
Related resources
June 25, 2012 7:32:49 AM

tsnor said:
Enjoy. Good choice of video card (6770). Power supply with loose tolerance can cause lockups, bluescreens, etc. And you are right the pentium D was *NOT* a good idea. Good luck with the E6750.

Aside here is a CPU table. Note how a $90 Pentium G860 compares with the E6750 for gaming. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-o... Buying new, socket 775 was interesting choice.

I like Socket 775 very much. It actually has processors with nice FSB ratings, and has a lot of history. I greatly respect the ye-olde Pentium 4 641, seeing how i managed to play Just Cause 2 with that CPU at about 30FPS with 3GB of DDR2 555MHz ram and an MSI Radeon HD 4650 1GB GDDR2. (I research cards a lot before I buy them.. that 4650 has served me incredibly well. It overclocked nice too, I could bring it from 600MHz core and 500MHz GDDR2 up to 770MHz core and 630MHz RAM.

Plus, Socket 775 also has processors that go all the way up to Core 2 Quad, which, in benchmarks, are quite close to similarly clocked i7 processors, with exceptions, and are still cheaper than i7 equipment (with motherboards and what not). The Core 2 CPU's have plenty of headroom to overclock and run quite cool, and perform well. Im thinking i might drop back 100 Watts and get a higher quality PSU some time and go with a Coolmax M500-B power supply someday. Less power, but better quality. Again, my problem here was budget. And though a pentium D wasn't a *GOOD* idea, it was still better then a Pentium 4 HT. In fact, since I got a Presler core, its two Cedar Mill's (I currently have 1 Cedar mill in my current desktop), and those are good processors considering their age and what they can handle. It was good for a cheap, cheap processor but i managed to find someone selling an E6750 for 60 bucks new.
m
l
June 25, 2012 7:42:23 AM

Mother of god, I also just noticed that the benchmarks you showed or rather CPU hierarchy (I spelled that like 6 times <:I) have the Pentium Dual Core on there comparing to the Core 2 Duo. Whats awesome about that is that the Core 2 Duo is half-way up the list away from the Pentium Dual Core. Even better than THAT is that you fudged a little. Pentium Dual Core and Pentium D are different, as one is older and much slower and is based on the NetBurst architecture, versus the Pentium Dual Core which is built on the Core architecture and is literally just a neutered Core 2 Duo. This shows me how much of a performance gain the C2D is going to have over the D i bought. :D  WOO!
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
June 25, 2012 12:29:28 PM

Hi, YES, you will get a ton more performance with the E6750 than the pentium D.

"Even better than THAT is that you fudged a little. " ???? Re-read my post.
m
l
June 25, 2012 12:53:49 PM

tsnor said:
Hi, YES, you will get a ton more performance with the E6750 than the pentium D.

"Even better than THAT is that you fudged a little. " ???? Re-read my post.

Ahem... LOL It seems as though I was the one who fucked up. I didn't realize that the G860 was from the Sandy Bridge architecture which is like 2 generations ahead... yet the G860 was still outperformed by a Core 2 Duo?! Wow man, these processors must be quite decent..
m
l
June 25, 2012 1:21:21 PM

Okay, this should be good then. All of the parts have been ordered, and I just submitted the payment for the last part (Antec Nine Hundred) yesterday.
Thanks for your information and responses Tsnor!

Final System Specifications of my new $500 Gaming System are:

Motherboard: Asus P5Q-SE P45 Chipset
Processor: Core 2 Duo 2.66GHz E6750 to be OC'ed
RAM: 2x1GB Nanya, 1x1GB Apida, 1x1GB Hynix, all with Heat Spreaders, all 667MHz
Storage: 200GB Hitachi Deskstar S-ATA 7,200RPM + 120GB Hitachi Deskstar 7,200RPM P-ATA
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
Case: Antec Nine Hundred Mid Tower Gaming case
Graphics: Gigabyte AMD Radeon HD 6770 1GB GDDR5
PSU: Diablotek PSDA600 600-Watt Power Supply

m
l
June 25, 2012 2:43:55 PM

Best answer selected by thedeathclox.
m
l
June 30, 2012 8:02:32 PM

Err, scratch that, I came into possesion of a few more items, so my budget build is now worth somewhere around $600-$700.

Final System specs are now:

Motherboard: Asus P5Q SE LGA775
PSU: Diablotek PSDA600 600 Watt
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66GHz
GPU: Gigabyte AMD Radeon HD 6770 1GB GDDR5 (GV-R677D5-1GD)
RAM: 2x1GB DDR2 667MHz Nanya, 1x2GB DDR2 800MHz Hynix, 1x1GB DDR2 675MHz Corsair (Total of 5GB DDR2 667MHz ram)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Green 2.0TB SATA3 HDD, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar SATA2 HDD.
Case: Antec Nine Hundred Mid-tower Gaming case

m
l
!