Strange sound from PSU

vidmyys

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
Hello everyone. So I recently upgraded my pc. Everything was changed except for the 500W power supply which blew up after a day. I have a new Modecom feel 1 600W put in right now. Everything seems work fine after about 2 days of usage. However when i turn off the PC, a strange sort of screeching sound is coming from the psu. It's not the loudest thing in the world but it does slowly drive me insane. Now if I turn off the power switch at the back, the sound disappears after about 5sec. And when the pc is on, it seems to disappear or become much quieter. I'd like for someone who knows about these things or have experienced them explain if this sound means that the power supply is about to die or something, or the sound is harmless. If the only thing I need to do is switch off and on the button, fine.

Specs:
Motherboard: Gigabyte 78LMT-S2P
CPU: AMD Phenom 2 x4 965 BE
GPU: Gigabyte gtx 550 ti windforce2 (stock oc)
PSU: Modecom Feel 1 600W
RAM: 8gigs

P.S. I know the PSU brand is cheap and nameless, but i needed 1 asap and didin't have much money.

ulysses35

Distinguished

PSU's are the worst thing to save money o by buying a cheap / budget option. The screeching noise is most likely due to poor capacitor in the PSU. I would at the very least take it back and exchang the unit. Otherwise you risk not only another PSU blowing up, but the very reall possibility that when it does fail it could daage other parts of your PC

Hi - don't want to beat a dead horse - but plz save up your $ & get a quality PSU, you only need 500w
n that gives you headroom, and there's always a deal somewhere on Corsair, Antec, and occasionally
on Seasonic, XFX, & Rosewill's better series. I put off my GPU just for the peace of mind in having a
PSU that wouldn't do harm to other components.

Tom

vidmyys

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
Live & learn... Next time i upgrade my pc I'll start with the psu. Never viewed it as such an important component.

Maxor1

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2011
Personally vidmyys while the PSU is a very important component of a pc the guys around this board are also a bit fanatical about it. It is in some ways a core for everything else in the system but getting a gold certified 80+ unit isn't required. Usually an inexpensive PSU from a known brand is fine, the guys here also will let a bad production run or two from a maker tarnish the entire brand forever like coolermaster, (for some reason Antec is immune to this though some of their lower end PSUs have had similar quality control issues).

actually - you can't lay this off on a bad production run:

MODEL WATTS PROBLEMS AND ISSUES REVIEWS
Elite Power 350 Lousy efficiency. Does not have two +12volt rails as advertised. No Over Current Protection as advertised. No Over Power Protection as advertised. Hardware Secrets
Elite Power 400 Poor efficiency. Noise and ripple levels very high. Hardware Secrets
Elite Power 460 Not 460 watt as advertised. Identical to Elite Power 400 watt model. No over current protection as advertised. Hardware Secrets
Extreme 2 475 Not 475 watt as advertised. Voltages drop below minimum allowed. Ripple and noise increase above minimum allowed. Hardware Secrets
eXtreme Power Plus 400 Very Poor efficiency. Ripple and Noise above maximum allowed. Hardware Secrets
eXtreme Power Plus 460 Not a 460 watt power supply as advertised. Hardware Secrets
eXtreme Power Plus 500 Very Poor efficiency. Ripple and Noise above maximum allowed. Hardware Secrets
eXtreme Power Plus 550 Burned during load tests. Not 550 watt as advertised. Could only deliver 500 watts. Very Poor efficiency. Hardware Secrets
eXtreme Power Plus 600 Burned during load tests. Not 600 watt as advertised. Could only deliver 450 watts. Voltages regulation out of spec. Very Poor efficiency. Hardware Secrets
GX-650 650 Failed efficiency rating. Failed load testing. Medicore voltage regulation. Poor DC output quality on 3.3V rails. Outdated design. Hard OCP
GX-750 750 Cannot handle heat at 750 watts. Ripple issues on the 3.3V rail. Noise level on +3.3V and +5VSB above maximum allowed. Questionable capacitor quality. Poor Voltage Regulation. Efficiency lower than advertised. jonnyGURU, Hardware Secrets, Hardware Heaven

Tom

which poster suggested vidmyys needed a gold certified psu?