Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
Just browsing through my Event Viewer and notice an ERROR with this msg...

The IP address lease 192.168.1.100 for the Network Card with network address 000A5E096610 has been denied by the DHCP server 192.168.1.1 (The DHCP Server sent a DHCPNACK message).

now what does this mean? because alot of times honestly my computer's internet connection will just like freeze up... and i'll have to disable the network connection and then enable it again and then when i go to view a webpage it will work.

is there a setting i can change or add a filter or something so it allows that mac address to just have access?

can anyone just give me the run down on this situation.

Thanks
Rob.

"STOP BEING LAZY AND GOOGLE IT!"

I'm not positive, but it could be becuase:
a) That address is not in the DHCP range
b) Another PC is logging onto the network with the same address

</font color=red><b><font color=red>■ ■ <font color=blue>■ ■ <font color=orange>■ ■ <font color=green>■ Dirty Little Sausage ■ </font color=green>■ ■ </font color=orange>■ ■ </font color=blue>■ ■</font color=red>

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
ok so maybe a simpler question...

How can i Manually add the make addresses of EACH card... there's 4 cards that access the network... simple LAN setup with a 4 port Linksys Router.

Enter your IP settings of each PC at the PC -

First get the DNS server addresses (Look in your router settings, it should be displayed there)

Then goto:

Control Panel > Network Connections> (Right Click) Network > Properties > Internet Protocol TCP/IP Settings and enter the IP addy of the PC (192.168.1.*) and the DNS Server addy.

Check you still can connect to the interweb, then disable DHCP in the router settings.

</font color=red><b><font color=red>■ ■ <font color=blue>■ ■ <font color=orange>■ ■ <font color=green>■ Dirty Little Sausage ■ </font color=green>■ ■ </font color=orange>■ ■ </font color=blue>■ ■</font color=red>

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
if i add a new address or a new Connection i should say... say a new laptop ... and DHCP is off, Do i gotta manually check settings on all devices?

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
You don't have to check each systems config but you do have to manually configure each new system doing it that way.

What I would do is manually assign just the problem PC, and leave DHCP enabled at the router for the rest of the network. That way when you add a new device, it will just work.

The router's DHCP config page should have a starting IP and a # of IPs it can assign. Usually it's 192.168.1.100 and it can assign 100 meaning 192.168.1.199 is the last IP it can assign. So you set your manually configured PC outside that. Put it at 200 or 201 (for this example). If you have to manually configure another PC, make it 202, etc. Just remember not to duplicate IPs (and stay under 255).

Mike.

<font color=blue>Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside the dog its too dark to read.
-- Groucho Marx</font color=blue>

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
yea well right now i got 4 connections... My Dad, ME, and My brother, and he has his XBOX online alot so it's in the table.

But forsome reason... i'll be online, searching, browsing perfectly fine... and then for some reason sometimes the link i'll click or whatever any search the page just doesn't load and it will say timed out or something whatever the msg is (using FireFOX) so i noticed if i Disble the little computers by the clock and then enable that connection again... it will then work again....... so i decided to look at my Error Event log and noticed all those DHCP msgs, the one i posted originally.... So i was just figuring that there was a conflict with something and that's why it hangs sometimes.

right now the Pc's are like 101,102,103,104 like that

riser

Illustrious
Chances are something else on the network pulled that IP and your computer sends out its DHCP request for the same IP, the router is saying it's taken, so it denies it. It may conflict with the Xbox since that gets restarted the most and will keep pulling the lowest IP address. If possible, I'd hardset the IP on the xbox.

You may want to drop your MTU down on your router from default 1500 to around 1470 (which leaves space for the header info) - even 1450 because I think the header info is 18 bytes. MTU is just the transfer size before it gets broken up into additional packets/frames, whichever you want to call them these days.

If you can extend your DHCP via the router, that might not be bad either. Standard is 7 days, you could do 30 or 90 days.. just add a number in there.

sturm

Splendid
set the computers to a static ip outside the dhcp range like fishmahn said. Then you dont have to worry about lease times, ip renewals, and such.
Plus with static ips its much easier to set up game servers, p2p programs and ftp programs.