G

Hi there, i am using a Abit BX133 RAID motherboard, and using a kingston 64mb nanya chipset ram.. Right now i am using CAS 3 , but whenever i try to set to cas 2 . it hangs and i will have to reset the bios. Is it because my ram couldn't go to CAS 2 ? and how should i know whether it can go to CAS2 ? PLs advise ..

Another question. does the chipset like winbond .. afffect a quality of a ram if it is used in kingston ram ? I saw a kingston ram that uses winbond chipsets.. in 256 MB.
THks .. in advance

shuke

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
That memory stick is cas 3 alright and it is just your luck that it cannot run at cas 2. Then again it could be your mobo that doesn't allow this.

When those enthusiastic engineers at IBM design the PC, they use of-the-shelf components. Now, many functions are combined in a single chip, that is why they are called chipset. Presently, there are two main chipsets ie the nortbrigde and southbridge. SiS has combined these two chipset into one. The winbond chip that you mention, is it on the mobo or the memory stick? If its on the mobo and if I am not wrong, its for the serial port. And if its on the memory stick and not the one you find tucked away at one of the corners, then its a memory chip. Quality is the function of QC and how high the bar is being set by the company that produces it.

I could be wrong on my assumption on the meaning of chipset.

It don't come easy.......not always.

G

Hey thanks! The winbond chip is on the ram. Anyway, i bought one 128mb ram pc133 kingston ( hyundai chipset).When i used Sissoft.. to check it .. i found that i can set the Cas 3 to Cas 2 if it is run at 100mHZ FSb.

Can u enlighten me on this ?

Thks in advance .

NickM

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2001
SiSoft Sandra is such a good software, that I can’t tell that there’s something wrong with it.
But I don’t trust much Sandra v2001.07.10 what it shows in System Summary about memory installed.
I see that on different computers running with PC-133 already set to CAS2 at 133 MHZ,
the Sandra shows:
(CL3 upto 133 MHz) (CL2 upto 67 MHz)
and
(CL3 upto 133 MHz) (CL2 upto 100 MHz).

The computers are from last year and with no problem.
I tried to upgrade one from 128 MB modules to 256 MB PC-133 modules, but they came as CAS3, and computer didn't work when set to CAS2. What I'm trying to say is that I tried memory with different clock latency, and the computers recognized it, but not the SiSoft Sandra.

G

OIc .. which means the info on sissoft is not really accurate ? Then what other utilities program is there available to download from the internet?

NickM

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2001
What I see, the reading is not accurate. (But again, I like Sandra, probably I need an upgrade.)
I don't warry much about that, because I know what type of memory is bought. I just double check. It's easy, for example, on VIA693A/MSI-6153VA-based machine. When I install new CAS2 P-133 memory and set it on 133 MHz CAS3, it shows me on BIOS start-up screen something like: CAS2 is recommended.
[Sorry, edited: Auto Detect DIMM/PCI Clk option should be enabled in the BIOS.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by NickM on 07/14/01 10:48 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

NickM

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2001
After what I saw today, I rather say everything fine with SiSoft Sandra, info on SiSoft is really accurate (I knew it's a good program). It shows exactly the quality of memory, recognizing pretty good the differences in clock latency between generic and Crucial memory.
Poor quality memory might be the problem, and Sandra can see and show that before the memory fails. Although those results were shown on a newer version of Sandra than I have. I definitely need an upgrade.

Check this, please, it's <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=17301#17301" target="_new">Posted here: Certified Memory</A>

G

OIc .. But the award bios dun have this auto detect.. stuff.. but my bro's msi 6163pro has it .. the thing call SPD.. it detects the latentcy.. etc.. and shows it when u boot up. Too bad , mine doesn't have that .IT just hangs when i set all the values to cas 2 ... etc