No Signal power is on help please.

Oct 27, 2012
Hi tomshardware, i'm having the incredibly common problem of no signal to monitor when i boot, everything turns on, all light come on, i can hear the hard drive start to spin all fans spon all works fine. But no signal to monitor, iv'e tried a different monitor, ive tried different port, iv'e tried removing GPU and using onboard graphics. i have reaseated RAM tried sticking ram in the other slot, iv'e reseated my CPU. taken out all cables on the motherboard and reconnecting them. i've tried unplugging power and holding down on button for a minute. stil nothing. really baffled and annoyed at this. my specs are as follows, any help at all will be super great. Thanks.

Mobo: Asus M5a78L-MLX
CPU: AMD FX 8120 (yes it works i updated BIOS a while back)
GPU: Asus ENGTS450
PSU: Thermal take 500w, Model: TT-500NL1NH-1
Case: NZXT Phantom 410
RAM: 4Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1333mhz
HDD: WD Caviar Blu 500GB

Thanks. P.S i can't find an appropriate category for this topic. if admins would please correct. Sorry.

Z1NONLY

Distinguished
What equipment were you using when you updated the BIOS?

I assume you could see a screen when you did that.

If you were using another CPU, when it last worked, try using that CPU again.

Your motherboard is rated for CPU's up to 95w. Their CPU support list shows an 8120, but it says it's a "95w" 8120.

All the 8120's I have seen say they have a 125w TDP.

What wattage 8120 are you running?

Oct 27, 2012

1. i was using an AMD Athlon ii x2 255. I will try using it now.
2. i never thought it might be a problem with cpu wattage. but it seems possible. recently i tried overclocking but i didnt leave it at the overclock though i never touched the voltage.
3. I dont know, I would assume it was running at 125w since thats what they all seem to be, maybe the BIOS update changed what the motherboard accepted in terms of wattage. im not sure.

I'll get back to you in about a half hour when i try my old cpu. Thank you alot for your help.

also, i did my the overclock through AMD Overdrive, im not sure if that changes BIOS, not quite sure how it works. maybe that info will help.

Oct 27, 2012

Hi, thanks for your reply, yeah i have tried all the cables my graphics card will take. and today i also tried using a different graphics card. i think i might be getting into windows because i have to hold down the power button for it to turn off.

Z1NONLY

Distinguished
Your overclocked probably pulled more than 125w through your socket.

That doesn't mean you killed your board, but it does move your motherboard to the top of the suspect list. (Right next to your CPU which could get damaged if/when the socket gets overloaded)

Oct 27, 2012
Update. z1nonly thanks for your great help so far.

i have swapped out the fx8120 for the athlon ii x2 255 and I still have the same problem. i think that means that narrows it down to my motherboard. let me know what your opinion is. Thanks.

Oct 27, 2012
and another thing i forgot to mention, recently before this problem occurred. when i booted up a screen would come up before windows started, i cant remember specifically what it said, but i had to press F1 to continue. Thanks again.