Sign in with
Your question

PC losing power

Tags:
  • Power
  • Components
Last response: in Components
October 27, 2012 1:10:30 PM

Hi there. Having some pc trouble. I'm suspecting the mobo. Basically my pc won't stay powered on for any length of time before it powers off, no crash screen or anything like that, simply shuts down. I have had it do that maybe a couple times in the past but each time it was simply a matter of turning it back on again and that be the end of it.

Now all I can mange is maybe a few seconds logged into windows before it crashes again. I've tried just booting into the bios settings but it crashes the same way.

Have tried unplugging all the hdd's(bar my main ssd drive) and the DVD drives from the psu, have taken out the gpu also. PC is powered on now and i'm logged into windows. Everything is still running for now......

So I'll update this thread later on once I know more/need more advice.....thanks!

More about : losing power

October 29, 2012 2:11:41 PM

Could be the PSU has an intermittent fault or isn't powerful enough and gives up after a while, especially if you've added hardware over time but not upgraded the PSU. That's what my money would go on - a new PSU. Make sure it's output wattage is sufficient for all the hardware it will be required to drive.

How do you know how powerful the PSU needs to be? Use this calculator tool (you need to be familiar with your system hardware for the tool to be of any use): http://www.thermaltake.outervision.com/
!