Need advice for build

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
June 22, 2012 5:25:22 PM

I am building a computer for my great uncle and it needs to be under 900$ (with monitor, keyboard, and mouse). So far my build is this:

CPU: AMD FX 4100
Motherboard: ASRock 970 Extreme3
Hard Drive: WD 500GB RE4
Graphics: HIS Radeon HD 7750
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Blue 8GB
Power Supply: Cooler Master GX 450w
Case: Antec Three Hundred ATX Mid Tower
Monitor: Asus VH236H 23-inch
Mouse/Keyboard: Logitec Mk520

This equals out to $894.06 (w/ shipping). What I need to know is if all of these parts are quality and last a long time. Keep in mind that my uncle will not be playing video games or doing majorly intensive tasks. I'm happy with the monitor and keyboard choice but Im unsure on the rest. Please give me some suggestions for a new or tweaked build. I just need a quality build that will last a heck of alot longer than a HP or Dell.

More about : advice build

a c 85 B Homebuilt system
June 22, 2012 5:50:41 PM

Since uncle will not be gaming, then integrated graphics will be fine.

Unless uncle will be using multi threaded apps, no more than a dual core is needed.

Here is what I suggest:
Case, Antec NSK4482 case with 380w psu $90. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Intel G850 cpu. sandy bridge chips are stronger, clock for clock than amd $88. You really could go stronger or weaker within the product line.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Most any socket 1155 motherboard will do. For example asrock H61 for $60: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Now, the key to a great pc might seem like a splurge, but DO buy a SSD, at least for the OS and some apps.
A SSD makes everything feel so much quicker. It is the key differentiator between an ordinary dell/hp/lenovo prebuilt and your build.
Here is an Intel 330 series 120gb SSD for $110. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If there is a need for large file storage, like for video files, then a hard drive should be added. It can always be done later.

8gb of ram is fine. But no need to pay extra for heat spreaders which are not needed with 1.5v ram.
m
l
June 22, 2012 6:08:59 PM

+1 to what geofelt said. If you'd like to put a bit more power into it, consider moving up to an i3-2100 or -2120 (or any other i3 that you fancy). Either way, Pentiums and i3s have integrated graphics that will do just fine for most low-end use. I don't recommend Cooler Master PSUs, either - try to go Antec or Corsair in this case; of the top reliable brands, they're about the most affordable.
m
l
June 24, 2012 4:04:02 AM

I've never worked with integrated graphics. Don't you need a discrete graphcis card? On the other hand, the suggestion of hardware by geofelt had little reviews which makes me nervous.
m
l
June 24, 2012 4:09:38 AM

I can vouch for geofelt's recommendations, all good buys that fit your uncle's needs/budget. Good quality manufacture's he has listed.

Buy an Enermax psu >=/
m
l
June 24, 2012 4:41:35 AM

Integrated graphics function the same as discrete graphics - you just don't have to install an add-in card. If you're concerned about the case/PSU combo, you could go with a solid Seasonic PSU and a well-rated Rosewill case.
m
l

Best solution

a c 85 B Homebuilt system
June 24, 2012 4:51:55 PM

wl589 said:
I've never worked with integrated graphics. Don't you need a discrete graphcis card? On the other hand, the suggestion of hardware by geofelt had little reviews which makes me nervous.

Current intel sandy bridge and ivy bridge have graphics built into the cpu. The graphics capability is somewhat comparable to that of a $50 discrete graphics card. Fine for general usage, movies, and games without a lot of movement.

Motherboards that support the graphics will have a chipset that sends the graphics info to the rear graphics ports on the motherboard. The only chipset that does not support integrated graphics is the older P67.

Since all of the chipsets are produced by Intel, there is little difference among motherboards. They all work well. If you have a favorite brand, then fine. Most will be reliable. Failures can always occur, but there is always a retailer or manufacturer's warranty to take care of that. I have used ASUS, ASrock, intel, Gigabyte, MSI, and ECS without issue. Buy based on price and features you need.

Let me reemphasize, it is the SSD that will make the pc sing.
June 24, 2012 10:44:49 PM

Best answer selected by wl589.
m
l
!