Phenom II X4 965 getting ultra high temperatures

i've recently bought and installed the cooler mater hyper tx3 cooler, and i thought it would lower my cpu temperatures, but it still keeps going very high! while playing dota my cpu reaches 75 degrees! it does not show any sign of performance problems but i guess this kind of temperature is not normal.

What could be the problem and how can i solve it? PS: the stock amd cooler which ran at 7k rpm kept the CPU on its 65 degrees, the TX3 has only 3k rpm top
7 answers Last reply
More about phenom ultra high temperatures
  1. Hi :)

Try cleaning OFF the cpu cement and re-cementing it carefully...

All the best Brett :)
  2. The hyper tx-3 is not so much of the best CPU cooler for a 125 watt CPU. Like Brett has recommended clean off the thermal paste with a cotton swab and isopryl alcohol. Then place a PEA sized amount in the middle or a rice grain size amount of thermal paste. Do not spread, allow the cooler to spread it for you as you clip it in to position. Also if you want if install another fan on the TX-3 for a push-pull configuration. Lastly a common issue with the Phenom II and many motherboards is sometimes they are set to higher voltages at stock. I say it should be close to 1.35 volts at stock, run prime 95 with that voltage to ensure stability. If you did overclock its normal if you did change the voltage. However, 75 degrees it very hot for that CPU, AMD's max safe temperature is 62 degrees.

- Socialfox
  3. What's your case cooling like? how many fans/where ?
  4. What program are you using to monitor temps? I find that AMD overdrive is known for showing the core temp being substantially hotter than it actually is. Try HWmonitor. Also, I don't think the stock cooler is capable of running anywhere near7K RPMs. So thats another issue.
  5. i installed the cooler today, so I really dont think it's the thermal paste, and i use SPEEDFAN to monitor the temperatures, it really doesnt show stability problems even running at those temperatures, i'm just worried about the long term durability, im checking out that HW MOnitor right now
  6. In terms of durability, your CPU lifespan will decrease if it runs at those temperatures.
  7. kennyzoia said:
    i installed the cooler today, so I really dont think it's the thermal paste, and i use SPEEDFAN to monitor the temperatures, it really doesnt show stability problems even running at those temperatures, i'm just worried about the long term durability, im checking out that HW MOnitor right now

Speedfan is not one I trust either. The problem I find with speedtemp is it doesn't tell you what temp its actually reading in a lot of cases. Its the Core temp that you don't want to see over 62c if you can help it. Barring any kind of ridiculous overclock theres no reason you should be running so hot if the CPU is clean and the thermal compound is correctly applied. I have a Hyper N520 which has similar performance to the TX3, and @ 4.0GHZ my temps are fine. High 30s idle, under prime 95 blend test my system will hit 62c and start throttling it to keep it from frying itself after about 15 minutes.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Cooling Phenom