Sign in with
Your question

Mixed questions

Last response: in Systems
June 22, 2012 5:44:32 PM

After centuries of waiting, i just need to wait for my Asrock P67 Pro3 to come through (ie. never :(  ) and i can start on my new rig. i have a few questions - i'm unsure if they would be better posted in separate sections or not, but this seems logical.

here goes (i write too much, apologies)

-i've noticed that the frame of my case has two spaces for 80mm fans on the front, but the plastic/acrylic cover on the front panel blocks them. being a bit of a moron, but being the creative type with a poor sense of humour, i've decided to Dremel out some teeth-like spikes on the front to allow airflow; as opposed to just cutting out circles/squares. if i had any grilles i would cut out more respectable shapes, but hopefully it should look kinda funny. anything i should bear in mind? or alternative suggestions? i'm pretty broke, but a holesaw would be too big anyway, because of the power switch panel being in the way. i'm not a pro Dremeller, but i'll maintain a state of paranoia.

-a long time ago, when i was just getting into overclocking etc., i tried adjusting RAM timings on a really terrible motherboard with an E2180 and twice corrupted my HDD by doing so. i did my research in advance, so i'm fairly sure this was a problem with the mobo/RAM. since then i just ran at stock timings. i've ordered some G.Skill RipjawsX (DDR3, 1600MHz) and i hear it's best to set them to their recommended timings as opposed to auto. i'll be fine, right?

-i'm gonna be transferring over the same Windows 7 installation i'm using now to the new rig. people will advise against this, but i'm probably going to do i anyway because i'm such a rebel. i did this before with XP, using the old "castrate the hard drive in Device Manager" technique, but i hear with Win7 you can just use Sysprep instead. i'm gonna uninstall the nVidia, sound, and chipset drivers (if i can) just to be on the safe side, though. is sysprep all i need? should i do what i did with XP to the hard drive settings? any pointers? i'm aware i'll have to re-authenticate afterwards.

-just to get this straight: my last experience with OC'ing was a Q6600. back then you'd usually disable any BIOS settings that automatically adjusted speed. nowadays you let turbo mode throttle it back, right? also, am i right in saying that you don't need to bother about the multiplier anymore (seems to be locked at 10 and nobody talks about it)? it's an i5-2500k i'm upgrading to, i know this seems like a bit of a UTFSE question but just trying to confirm that i get the gist of things. optimal temps seem to be a bit higher these days, but i guess that's to be expected.

-bearing in mind i am totally broke - i've noticed that in a lot of PSU's there are what seem to be regular 12v system fans that, according to a few posts i've read, run off the main power pins for case/chassis fans on the mobo. assuming i check the voltage and that the fan is in good shape, and i discharge the PSU before getting electrocuted, is this advisable? i have enough fans but as i plan to be OC'ing the GPU, the bottom end of my case could benefit from some more flow.

i prolly have more questions which i forgot about, but that's probably enough spam for now. any feedback appreciated!

cheers

More about : mixed questions

a b B Homebuilt system
June 22, 2012 5:54:08 PM

Windows 7 is much better than Windows XP at being transferred to a new computer provided the hardware is not to dissimilar. There is no harm in trying a simple image copy first to see if it will work.
a b B Homebuilt system
June 22, 2012 5:59:38 PM

You should sell your cpu/board/ram on craigslist or anandtech's for sale forum. Should be worth about $100. Try the ram first in auto; your p67 asus board should allow you to adjust the multiplier with any K cpu. You may get 43-45 for the multiplier setting. It's best to get a separate cooler if your Intel runs above 72c under load. Some folks use this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... or this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Related resources
June 22, 2012 6:25:33 PM

pjmelect said:
Windows 7 is much better than Windows XP at being transferred to a new computer provided the hardware is not to dissimilar. There is no harm in trying a simple image copy first to see if it will work.

Nice one. worst case scenario i set it to a secondary drive or use a PE to get all the data off it and reinstall, i guess. but that would be kinda annoying. so the chipset data etc. will just write over the old one, no loose ends?

o1die said:
You should sell your cpu/board/ram on craigslist or anandtech's for sale forum. Should be worth about $100. Try the ram first in auto; your p67 asus board should allow you to adjust the multiplier with any K cpu. You may get 43-45 for the multiplier setting. It's best to get a separate cooler if your Intel runs above 72c under load. Some folks use this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... or this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

ah right, i get FSB and multiplier mixed up in my head (just by name, luckily). i have an abstract understanding of all this that somehow works. lol
i actually have this cooler ready to go - i was just showing someone the size difference between that and the microscopic stock cooler, it's tiny!
i was originally looking for the Hyper 212+ as per a lot of suggestions, but i couldn't find one locally for a lower price. this one should hopefully get me to 4GHz, though.
June 23, 2012 2:04:14 PM

all was going well with the case mod until i discovered the "wood boring" drill bit. can only blame myself for that lol.
so now i either need some kind of cool-looking mesh material, or i need to hide the front of my case from everyone. ideas? i just want something badass and industrial-looking, preferably some kinda grille. and preferably retard-proof. i guess this is more of an art question.
!