Would XBOX Have Made It???

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.xbox.games (More info?)

Do you think that XBOX would have made it to where it is today without
Halo???

"msnews.microsoft.com" <prime42@morrisville.edu> wrote in message
> Do you think that XBOX would have made it to where it is today without
> Halo???

No. Halo kept Xbox afloat for at least the first year. It was the primary
reason most people bought the system. Without it there was no compelling
reason to buy an Xbox and without sufficient numbers of consoles having been
sold many videogame developers weren't willing to support the system.

Splinter Cell was originally supposed to be an Xbox exclusive and that game
also helped sell Xboxes once it was released, however, since it also was
going to be released and subsequently was released on PS2, that didn't
factor in as heavily. However, without Ubisoft's game titles on Xbox I
don't know if Xbox would have survived. Ubisoft is the game company I think
Microsoft really should have targeted for purchase. I think they'd have a
bigger impact than Rare. Of course, given that Ubisoft already was
committed to Xbox and Rare was exclusively Nintendo, the Rare purchase may
turn out to be a good one for the next-generation. On the other hand, if
Ubisoft doesn't come out strong with support of the Next Xbox (Xenon/Xbox
360/Xbox 2) I think Microsoft's next-gen console is in serious trouble.
This is especially true if Sega also doesn't provide strong support for the
next-gen Xbox.