Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Digital Camera Questions

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
Anonymous
July 31, 2005 6:49:36 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

I'm planning to move up to a better digital camera. (I have a cheap
3.1 mp now.) I'm hoping someone out there can help me in my
decision.

I have a number of lenses, filters, doublers, triplers, etc. from two
SLR cameras that I would like to use with a digital camera. What I
would need is a P&S camera that would accept an adapter for 49mm and
55 mm lenses.

Also the digital camera would have to have a decent zoom with minimum
shutter lag.

It's also important that I can get decent macro shots as I will be
taking pics of pages of over 1000 books I have.

I've reviewed many digital cameras and the Panasonic Lumix Z20 looked
the best, although I don't know if it will accep the lenses and do
decent macro for what I want.

I'd appreciate any suggestions you might have.

Thanks.
Anonymous
July 31, 2005 6:49:37 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

<Seeker> wrote in message news:o p6qe1d31qcm776pn6s4g2hehq16pcm40v@4ax.com...
>
> I'm planning to move up to a better digital camera. (I have a cheap
> 3.1 mp now.) I'm hoping someone out there can help me in my
> decision.
>
> I have a number of lenses, filters, doublers, triplers, etc. from two
> SLR cameras that I would like to use with a digital camera. What I
> would need is a P&S camera that would accept an adapter for 49mm and
> 55 mm lenses.
>
> Also the digital camera would have to have a decent zoom with minimum
> shutter lag.
>
> It's also important that I can get decent macro shots as I will be
> taking pics of pages of over 1000 books I have.
>
> I've reviewed many digital cameras and the Panasonic Lumix Z20 looked
> the best, although I don't know if it will accep the lenses and do
> decent macro for what I want.
>
> I'd appreciate any suggestions you might have.
>
> Thanks.
>
>
To get a camera that will accept your existing lenses, you will need to look
into a DSLR of the same manufacturer. Not all lenses will fit, you'll need
to check on compatibility, Pentax is good about that, Nikon ok, Olympus has
adaptors available, Minolta and Canon, you're out of luck with anything but
their autofocus lenses.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
Anonymous
July 31, 2005 10:45:38 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 12:15:05 -0700, "Skip M" <shadowcatcher@cox.net>
wrote:

><Seeker> wrote in message news:o p6qe1d31qcm776pn6s4g2hehq16pcm40v@4ax.com...
>>
>> I'm planning to move up to a better digital camera. (I have a cheap
>> 3.1 mp now.) I'm hoping someone out there can help me in my
>> decision.
>>
>> I have a number of lenses, filters, doublers, triplers, etc. from two
>> SLR cameras that I would like to use with a digital camera. What I
>> would need is a P&S camera that would accept an adapter for 49mm and
>> 55 mm lenses.
>>
>> Also the digital camera would have to have a decent zoom with minimum
>> shutter lag.
>>
>> It's also important that I can get decent macro shots as I will be
>> taking pics of pages of over 1000 books I have.
>>
>> I've reviewed many digital cameras and the Panasonic Lumix Z20 looked
>> the best, although I don't know if it will accep the lenses and do
>> decent macro for what I want.
>>
>> I'd appreciate any suggestions you might have.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>>
>To get a camera that will accept your existing lenses, you will need to look
>into a DSLR of the same manufacturer. Not all lenses will fit, you'll need
>to check on compatibility, Pentax is good about that, Nikon ok, Olympus has
>adaptors available, Minolta and Canon, you're out of luck with anything but
>their autofocus lenses.

Thanks. I might have to forget about using my existing lenses. I
haven't really seen any DSLRs that I like. (Price versus features).

Some of the P&S cameras do have manual controls but I would be stuck
with just one lens.
Related resources
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 12:30:04 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Seeker wrote:

> I'm planning to move up to a better digital camera. (I have a cheap
> 3.1 mp now.) I'm hoping someone out there can help me in my
> decision.
>
> I have a number of lenses, filters, doublers, triplers, etc. from two
> SLR cameras that I would like to use with a digital camera. What I
> would need is a P&S camera that would accept an adapter for 49mm and
> 55 mm lenses.

Not possible - P&S cameras have fixed lenses; you can't remove them to
attach the SLR lenses. It's a fundamental difference in design and
target market.

> Also the digital camera would have to have a decent zoom with minimum
> shutter lag.

You'll need a DSLR of a brand matching your lenses... ultra-low shutter
lag comes with the territory.

> I've reviewed many digital cameras and the Panasonic Lumix Z20 looked
> the best, although I don't know if it will accep the lenses and do
> decent macro for what I want.
>
> I'd appreciate any suggestions you might have.

What brand and model lenses are they? Some DSLRs (and SLRs for that
matter) are not compatible with older lenses from the same manufacturer,
either. For example, older non-EOS Canon lenses won't work on any newer
EOS-series film or digital SLRs. With Nikon lenses, on the other hand,
almost all lenses for a Nikon mount will work on almost all Nikon cameras.


---
avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean.
Virus Database (VPS): 0530-3, 07/29/2005
Tested on: 7/31/2005 1:29:30 PM
avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2005 ALWIL Software.
http://www.avast.com
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 12:30:05 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 20:30:04 GMT, Matt Ion <soundy@moltenimage.com>
wrote:

>Seeker wrote:
>
>> I'm planning to move up to a better digital camera. (I have a cheap
>> 3.1 mp now.) I'm hoping someone out there can help me in my
>> decision.
>>
>> I have a number of lenses, filters, doublers, triplers, etc. from two
>> SLR cameras that I would like to use with a digital camera. What I
>> would need is a P&S camera that would accept an adapter for 49mm and
>> 55 mm lenses.
>
>Not possible - P&S cameras have fixed lenses; you can't remove them to
>attach the SLR lenses. It's a fundamental difference in design and
>target market.

But I would be able to attach the filters, correct?

>
>> Also the digital camera would have to have a decent zoom with minimum
>> shutter lag.
>
>You'll need a DSLR of a brand matching your lenses... ultra-low shutter
>lag comes with the territory.

Right. I also would probably be able to get better low light shots
with the DSLR.

>
>> I've reviewed many digital cameras and the Panasonic Lumix Z20 looked
>> the best, although I don't know if it will accep the lenses and do
>> decent macro for what I want.
>>
>> I'd appreciate any suggestions you might have.
>
>What brand and model lenses are they? Some DSLRs (and SLRs for that
>matter) are not compatible with older lenses from the same manufacturer,
>either. For example, older non-EOS Canon lenses won't work on any newer
>EOS-series film or digital SLRs. With Nikon lenses, on the other hand,
>almost all lenses for a Nikon mount will work on almost all Nikon cameras.
>

All of them are screw mount. Some are Pentax.

Also, all the lenses and filters are older.

If I forget about switching lenses, which P&S digital camera would
come closest to haivng the functions I mentioned, i.e. zoom, macro
and low light?

Thanks.
>
>---
>avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean.
>Virus Database (VPS): 0530-3, 07/29/2005
>Tested on: 7/31/2005 1:29:30 PM
>avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2005 ALWIL Software.
>http://www.avast.com
>
>
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 12:35:06 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 18:40:42 -0400, Seeker <> wrote:

> If I forget about switching lenses, which P&S digital camera would
> come closest to haivng the functions I mentioned, i.e. zoom, macro
> and low light?

The just announced Fuji P&S cameras would probably have by far the
greatest low light ability. They might not do quite as well as some
of the better DSLRs, but should not be very far behind. These
cameras are the S5200, S9000 and E900. The only comparable P&S
camera is Fuji's F10, but that's a very small camera with almost no
manual control, has no viewfinder and uses only proprietary lithium
batteries. If you want to see what's so special about its highly
sensitive sensor, see one of the full reviews of it, such as the one
at dpreview.com. Also notable, the F10's 6mp sensor was found to
provide higher resolution images than the other 7mp sensor P&S
cameras tested. This bodes well for the as yet untested S9000 and
E900, which have 9mp sensors.
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 1:56:11 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

<Seeker> wrote in message news:o p6qe1d31qcm776pn6s4g2hehq16pcm40v@4ax.com...
>
> I'm planning to move up to a better digital camera. (I have a cheap
> 3.1 mp now.) I'm hoping someone out there can help me in my
> decision.
>
> I have a number of lenses, filters, doublers, triplers, etc. from two
> SLR cameras that I would like to use with a digital camera. What I
> would need is a P&S camera that would accept an adapter for 49mm and
> 55 mm lenses.
>
> Also the digital camera would have to have a decent zoom with minimum
> shutter lag.
>
> It's also important that I can get decent macro shots as I will be
> taking pics of pages of over 1000 books I have.
>
> I've reviewed many digital cameras and the Panasonic Lumix Z20 looked
> the best, although I don't know if it will accep the lenses and do
> decent macro for what I want.
>
> I'd appreciate any suggestions you might have.
>
> Thanks.
>
>
Seeker,
I have a Panasonic FZ20 that I am very pleased with.
The 12X zoom and image stabilization have been very useful.
I have been using it for several months and have no regrets about spending
$500 for it.
I have used the macro capabilities to capture many close-ups of flowers.
You can check out some of my photos at www.fotki.com/jhrosier
The "postcards" album has several close-ups.
Do check the exif info for the photos as some of the older ones were taken
with a Kodak DC4800 (3MP).
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 11:07:55 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 20:35:06 -0400, ASAAR <caught@22.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 18:40:42 -0400, Seeker <> wrote:
>
>> If I forget about switching lenses, which P&S digital camera would
>> come closest to haivng the functions I mentioned, i.e. zoom, macro
>> and low light?
>
> The just announced Fuji P&S cameras would probably have by far the
>greatest low light ability. They might not do quite as well as some
>of the better DSLRs, but should not be very far behind. These
>cameras are the S5200, S9000 and E900. The only comparable P&S
>camera is Fuji's F10, but that's a very small camera with almost no
>manual control, has no viewfinder and uses only proprietary lithium
>batteries. If you want to see what's so special about its highly
>sensitive sensor, see one of the full reviews of it, such as the one
>at dpreview.com. Also notable, the F10's 6mp sensor was found to
>provide higher resolution images than the other 7mp sensor P&S
>cameras tested. This bodes well for the as yet untested S9000 and
>E900, which have 9mp sensors.

Thanks. I'll check those out. The 9 mp sensor sounds impressive.

I already have some SD cards so I was looking at cameras that would
accept those. But if Fuji has better features, it might be worth it to
switch.
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 11:39:55 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 21:56:11 -0400, "Jack Rosier"
<jhrosier@berkshire.net> wrote:

>
><Seeker> wrote in message news:o p6qe1d31qcm776pn6s4g2hehq16pcm40v@4ax.com...
>>
>> I'm planning to move up to a better digital camera. (I have a cheap
>> 3.1 mp now.) I'm hoping someone out there can help me in my
>> decision.
>>
>> I have a number of lenses, filters, doublers, triplers, etc. from two
>> SLR cameras that I would like to use with a digital camera. What I
>> would need is a P&S camera that would accept an adapter for 49mm and
>> 55 mm lenses.
>>
>> Also the digital camera would have to have a decent zoom with minimum
>> shutter lag.
>>
>> It's also important that I can get decent macro shots as I will be
>> taking pics of pages of over 1000 books I have.
>>
>> I've reviewed many digital cameras and the Panasonic Lumix Z20 looked
>> the best, although I don't know if it will accep the lenses and do
>> decent macro for what I want.
>>
>> I'd appreciate any suggestions you might have.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>>
>Seeker,
>I have a Panasonic FZ20 that I am very pleased with.
>The 12X zoom and image stabilization have been very useful.
>I have been using it for several months and have no regrets about spending
>$500 for it.
>I have used the macro capabilities to capture many close-ups of flowers.
>You can check out some of my photos at www.fotki.com/jhrosier
>The "postcards" album has several close-ups.
>Do check the exif info for the photos as some of the older ones were taken
>with a Kodak DC4800 (3MP).

Thanks, Jack. The color and detail looked very good in those photos.

Were most or all of those photos taken without a tripod? I was
wondering how good the image stabilization is on the Z20.

I have a couple of other questions: Have you ever tried to photograph
a document or a book with the Z20? Just wondering how it would do
there. The flowers looked very good.

Also, I didn't see any low light shots among your photos. Have you
tried that and how did they turn out?

Thanks.

>
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 2:10:19 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Seeker wrote:

>>>I have a number of lenses, filters, doublers, triplers, etc. from two
>>>SLR cameras that I would like to use with a digital camera. What I
>>>would need is a P&S camera that would accept an adapter for 49mm and
>>>55 mm lenses.
>>
>>Not possible - P&S cameras have fixed lenses; you can't remove them to
>>attach the SLR lenses. It's a fundamental difference in design and
>>target market.
>
>
> But I would be able to attach the filters, correct?

You'd need a camera that supports some kind of adapter that would attach
to the lens and then provide a thread for the filters, if such things exist.

In the end, you may find it cheaper to just get new filters that fit the
camera itself. Filter mounts that size would be wider than many cameras.

>>>Also the digital camera would have to have a decent zoom with minimum
>>>shutter lag.
>>
>>You'll need a DSLR of a brand matching your lenses... ultra-low shutter
>>lag comes with the territory.
>
>
> Right. I also would probably be able to get better low light shots
> with the DSLR.

You'd have more control than with most P&S cameras, at least. Most ZLRs
that give that level of control are starting to approach an SLR in price.

>>>I've reviewed many digital cameras and the Panasonic Lumix Z20 looked
>>>the best, although I don't know if it will accep the lenses and do
>>>decent macro for what I want.
>>>
>>>I'd appreciate any suggestions you might have.
>>
>>What brand and model lenses are they? Some DSLRs (and SLRs for that
>>matter) are not compatible with older lenses from the same manufacturer,
>>either. For example, older non-EOS Canon lenses won't work on any newer
>>EOS-series film or digital SLRs. With Nikon lenses, on the other hand,
>>almost all lenses for a Nikon mount will work on almost all Nikon cameras.
>>
>
>
> All of them are screw mount. Some are Pentax.

I doubt you'll find any DSLR that would work with those. Certainly none
that have screw mounts. Adapters MAY be available, but you wouldn't
have support for such "common" DSLR functions as autofocus, and probably
no support for autoexposure either.

> Also, all the lenses and filters are older.

Filter design hasn't changed much in the history of the SLR... a
40-year-old filter will probably still thread right into any modern lens
with the same diameter.

> If I forget about switching lenses, which P&S digital camera would
> come closest to haivng the functions I mentioned, i.e. zoom, macro
> and low light?

Can't help ya there, I use a DSLR and have never shopped for a ZLR, so
I've never studied product specs.


---
avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean.
Virus Database (VPS): 0530-3, 07/29/2005
Tested on: 8/1/2005 3:10:18 AM
avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2005 ALWIL Software.
http://www.avast.com
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 2:10:20 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 10:10:19 GMT, Matt Ion <soundy@moltenimage.com>
wrote:

>Seeker wrote:
>
>>>>I have a number of lenses, filters, doublers, triplers, etc. from two
>>>>SLR cameras that I would like to use with a digital camera. What I
>>>>would need is a P&S camera that would accept an adapter for 49mm and
>>>>55 mm lenses.
>>>
>>>Not possible - P&S cameras have fixed lenses; you can't remove them to
>>>attach the SLR lenses. It's a fundamental difference in design and
>>>target market.
>>
>>
>> But I would be able to attach the filters, correct?
>
>You'd need a camera that supports some kind of adapter that would attach
>to the lens and then provide a thread for the filters, if such things exist.
>
>In the end, you may find it cheaper to just get new filters that fit the
>camera itself. Filter mounts that size would be wider than many cameras.

I've seen some of the P&S cameras which will accept adapters. However,
since I can only attach filters, I'm not sure what the advantage would
be now. I can apply just about any filter in a good photo editor.

About the only thing I can't do is get a sharp photo from a fuzzy
shot.

>
>>>>Also the digital camera would have to have a decent zoom with minimum
>>>>shutter lag.
>>>
>>>You'll need a DSLR of a brand matching your lenses... ultra-low shutter
>>>lag comes with the territory.
>>
>>
>> Right. I also would probably be able to get better low light shots
>> with the DSLR.
>
>You'd have more control than with most P&S cameras, at least. Most ZLRs
>that give that level of control are starting to approach an SLR in price.

I have noticed that the DSLRs are dropping in price. I've seen some in
the $800+ range. And the better P&S cameras are in the $500+ range.
So the gap is closing.

Since all I believe I need is 5 mp, I'm hoping that the prices of
those will start falling.

>
>>>>I've reviewed many digital cameras and the Panasonic Lumix Z20 looked
>>>>the best, although I don't know if it will accep the lenses and do
>>>>decent macro for what I want.
>>>>
>>>>I'd appreciate any suggestions you might have.
>>>
>>>What brand and model lenses are they? Some DSLRs (and SLRs for that
>>>matter) are not compatible with older lenses from the same manufacturer,
>>>either. For example, older non-EOS Canon lenses won't work on any newer
>>>EOS-series film or digital SLRs. With Nikon lenses, on the other hand,
>>>almost all lenses for a Nikon mount will work on almost all Nikon cameras.
>>>
>>
>>
>> All of them are screw mount. Some are Pentax.
>
>I doubt you'll find any DSLR that would work with those. Certainly none
>that have screw mounts. Adapters MAY be available, but you wouldn't
>have support for such "common" DSLR functions as autofocus, and probably
>no support for autoexposure either.

Right. That would be a concern. Also I wouldn't have IS or OS with my
older lenses. I think there is one camera which has the optical
stabilization in the camera though.

Thanks.

>
>> Also, all the lenses and filters are older.
>
>Filter design hasn't changed much in the history of the SLR... a
>40-year-old filter will probably still thread right into any modern lens
>with the same diameter.
>
>> If I forget about switching lenses, which P&S digital camera would
>> come closest to haivng the functions I mentioned, i.e. zoom, macro
>> and low light?
>
>Can't help ya there, I use a DSLR and have never shopped for a ZLR, so
>I've never studied product specs.
>
>
>---
>avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean.
>Virus Database (VPS): 0530-3, 07/29/2005
>Tested on: 8/1/2005 3:10:18 AM
>avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2005 ALWIL Software.
>http://www.avast.com
>
>
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 2:13:23 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Seeker wrote:

> Some of the P&S cameras do have manual controls but I would be stuck
> with just one lens.

True, but the better ones generally run 8X to 12X zoom factors. 10X
would be the equivalent zoom range to an SLR with, say, a 28mm-280mm
zoom (several manufacturers make 28mm-300mm zooms for SLRs).


---
avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean.
Virus Database (VPS): 0530-3, 07/29/2005
Tested on: 8/1/2005 3:13:23 AM
avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2005 ALWIL Software.
http://www.avast.com
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 2:49:05 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Seeker <> wrote:

>
> I'm planning to move up to a better digital camera. (I have a cheap 3.1
> mp now.) I'm hoping someone out there can help me in my decision.
>
> I have a number of lenses, filters, doublers, triplers, etc. from two SLR
> cameras that I would like to use with a digital camera. What I would need
> is a P&S camera that would accept an adapter for 49mm and 55 mm lenses.

My Fuji finepix S5500 10x otical zoom ships with an adapter ring with a 55mm
thread. There are Fuji wide angle and telephoto converter lenses that screw
into this (expensive). I regularly use a No. 4 close up filter and a
circular polariser.

However this model may be coming to the end of its production run. And 3.1
to 4mp may not be much of an upgrade. I don't know if any of the new Fujis
have the same adapter. If not it looks like I will be holding on to my
camera for some time yet.

> Also the digital camera would have to have a decent zoom with minimum
> shutter lag.

Shutter lag seems to be an inescapable fact of life with digital P&S. Shoot
a duck's face and you can end up with an image of its arse. Bastards won't
stand still to be photographed!

> It's also important that I can get decent macro shots as I will be taking
> pics of pages of over 1000 books I have.
>
> I've reviewed many digital cameras and the Panasonic Lumix Z20 looked the
> best, although I don't know if it will accep the lenses and do decent
> macro for what I want.
>
> I'd appreciate any suggestions you might have.
>
> Thanks.
>


--
T Ritchie (Sr)
Millions of words to this place fly, Never to be seen by human eye.
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 2:49:06 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 10:49:05 +0100, "no.canned.pork"
<no.canned.pork@dsl.pipex.com> wrote:

>Seeker <> wrote:
>
>>
>> I'm planning to move up to a better digital camera. (I have a cheap 3.1
>> mp now.) I'm hoping someone out there can help me in my decision.
>>
>> I have a number of lenses, filters, doublers, triplers, etc. from two SLR
>> cameras that I would like to use with a digital camera. What I would need
>> is a P&S camera that would accept an adapter for 49mm and 55 mm lenses.
>
>My Fuji finepix S5500 10x otical zoom ships with an adapter ring with a 55mm
>thread. There are Fuji wide angle and telephoto converter lenses that screw
>into this (expensive). I regularly use a No. 4 close up filter and a
>circular polariser.
>
>However this model may be coming to the end of its production run. And 3.1
>to 4mp may not be much of an upgrade. I don't know if any of the new Fujis
>have the same adapter. If not it looks like I will be holding on to my
>camera for some time yet.

Thanks. That's the reason (expense) I was trying to use what I have
from my SLR.

I don't see that I'll be enlarging photos larger than 8x10 so I think
5 mp is as much as I need. I've seen some 4 mp (Fuji) that get quite
a lot of detail.

>
>> Also the digital camera would have to have a decent zoom with minimum
>> shutter lag.
>
>Shutter lag seems to be an inescapable fact of life with digital P&S. Shoot
>a duck's face and you can end up with an image of its arse. Bastards won't
>stand still to be photographed!

I understand that. I can get good photos from my 3.1 mp but if
anything moves, it's a wasted shot. Zoom and multiple pics are
worthless on my 3.1 mp.

>
>> It's also important that I can get decent macro shots as I will be taking
>> pics of pages of over 1000 books I have.
>>
>> I've reviewed many digital cameras and the Panasonic Lumix Z20 looked the
>> best, although I don't know if it will accep the lenses and do decent
>> macro for what I want.
>>
>> I'd appreciate any suggestions you might have.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 3:41:02 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

: All of them are screw mount. Some are Pentax.

If you would like to use these older lenses, they are likely all M42 Pentax
Screwmount. I've got a few of them and use them all the time on my Pentax *ist-DS
with a $20, easily found adapter. The only autofocus lens I have is the kit 18-55mm.
I have about 8 other manual-focus lenses that I primarily use. Adapters for the
screwmount lenses exist for the Canon and I belive the Nikon DSLRs as well. I don't
know if the Nikon will meter with them, but I know the Canon can.

The performance (image quality) of a DSLR will be better than a P&S. Many of
the features are simply toys. DSLRs are photographic tools, P&S are gadgets that take
pictures.

-Cory

--

*************************************************************************
* Cory Papenfuss *
* Electrical Engineering candidate Ph.D. graduate student *
* Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University *
*************************************************************************
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 3:41:03 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 11:41:02 +0000 (UTC),
papenfussDIESPAM@juneauDOTmeDOTvt.edu wrote:

>: All of them are screw mount. Some are Pentax.
>
> If you would like to use these older lenses, they are likely all M42 Pentax
>Screwmount. I've got a few of them and use them all the time on my Pentax *ist-DS
>with a $20, easily found adapter. The only autofocus lens I have is the kit 18-55mm.
>I have about 8 other manual-focus lenses that I primarily use. Adapters for the
>screwmount lenses exist for the Canon and I belive the Nikon DSLRs as well. I don't
>know if the Nikon will meter with them, but I know the Canon can.
>
> The performance (image quality) of a DSLR will be better than a P&S. Many of
>the features are simply toys. DSLRs are photographic tools, P&S are gadgets that take
>pictures.
>
>-Cory

Thanks, Cory. It sounds like the same thing that held true for film.
I have a couple of SLRs and a large format camera for taking serious
shots and several 35mm P&S cameras for general shots. I lost interest
in photography a while back but I see some great possibililties with
digital. All I need is a sharp shot with enough detail for an 8x10. I
can do the rest on a computer.

I have a 125mm lens which gave great portrait shots and I could always
use the 2x, and 3x adapters to get distant shots. Normally I used
manual controls, including focus, and just bracketed the shots, so
autofocus wouldn't be that big a deal to me.

I always use the manual control on my 3.1 mp digital cam and the shots
turn out better than on auto, but then it is not truely manual.
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 7:47:34 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Seeker wrote:

> On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 10:10:19 GMT, Matt Ion <soundy@moltenimage.com>
> wrote:
>
>
>>Seeker wrote:
>>
>>
>>>>>I have a number of lenses, filters, doublers, triplers, etc. from two
>>>>>SLR cameras that I would like to use with a digital camera. What I
>>>>>would need is a P&S camera that would accept an adapter for 49mm and
>>>>>55 mm lenses.
>>>>
>>>>Not possible - P&S cameras have fixed lenses; you can't remove them to
>>>>attach the SLR lenses. It's a fundamental difference in design and
>>>>target market.
>>>
>>>
>>>But I would be able to attach the filters, correct?
>>
>>You'd need a camera that supports some kind of adapter that would attach
>>to the lens and then provide a thread for the filters, if such things exist.
>>
>>In the end, you may find it cheaper to just get new filters that fit the
>>camera itself. Filter mounts that size would be wider than many cameras.
>
>
> I've seen some of the P&S cameras which will accept adapters. However,
> since I can only attach filters, I'm not sure what the advantage would
> be now. I can apply just about any filter in a good photo editor.

Anything but a polarizer.



---
avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean.
Virus Database (VPS): 0530-3, 07/29/2005
Tested on: 8/1/2005 8:47:33 AM
avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2005 ALWIL Software.
http://www.avast.com
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 9:53:34 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Seeker,

For copying your books, you can get a flatbed scanner for around $100 which
would give excellent results. My Canon scans can be enlarged to the point
where the paper looks like old sacking. Also, if it's text, it can be OCRed
for economical storage (and editing if required).

Dave W.
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 10:33:34 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 17:53:34 +0100, "Dave W"
<david@briarwood134.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:

>Seeker,
>
>For copying your books, you can get a flatbed scanner for around $100 which
>would give excellent results. My Canon scans can be enlarged to the point
>where the paper looks like old sacking. Also, if it's text, it can be OCRed
>for economical storage (and editing if required).
>
>Dave W.
>

Thanks, Dave. I have a flatbed scanner and I've tried that.

The results were not good. I would have to destroy the books to get
the pages to lie flat and I don't want to do that.

Also the resulting files were too large and OCR didn't work well.

Scanning would be faster but I think building a camera stand and using
a digital camera is a better way to go. I can control the lighting.

I do have another scanner (HP) that I haven't used yet because I don't
have an adapter for it. I don't know if that would give better
results.

If I don't get the results I want with a digital camera, I'll probably
go back to the scanner.
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 12:54:43 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

<Seeker> wrote in message news:jc1se11ku438h5sretvrkv05tdia37vr86@4ax.com...
> >Seeker,
> >I have a Panasonic FZ20 that I am very pleased with.
> >The 12X zoom and image stabilization have been very useful.
> >I have been using it for several months and have no regrets about
spending
> >$500 for it.
> >I have used the macro capabilities to capture many close-ups of flowers.
> >You can check out some of my photos at www.fotki.com/jhrosier
> >The "postcards" album has several close-ups.
> >Do check the exif info for the photos as some of the older ones were
taken
> >with a Kodak DC4800 (3MP).
>
> Thanks, Jack. The color and detail looked very good in those photos.
>
> Were most or all of those photos taken without a tripod? I was
> wondering how good the image stabilization is on the Z20.
>
> I have a couple of other questions: Have you ever tried to photograph
> a document or a book with the Z20? Just wondering how it would do
> there. The flowers looked very good.
>
> Also, I didn't see any low light shots among your photos. Have you
> tried that and how did they turn out?
>
> Thanks.
>
> >
>
Seeker,
ALL of the FZ20 pictures were taken without a tripod.
Image stabiliztion works great!
A document or book should be easy to photograph with a good, even light
source and a tripod or copy stand.
At 2 or so MP per page, they are going to take some serious disk space.
I have taken but a few low light (indoors, no flash, daytime) photos.
The last photo in my "snapshots" album (captioned" "I'm Sooo Bored") was
recently taken indoors, sans flash, and is just OK by me.
I really haven't had the time or oportunity to do much with low light so
won't comment on it either way.
Jack
!