bluva

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
I recently bought a new motherboard for my computer.

I'm using the same processor intel i5 2400 and cooling fan (the one that came with the processor)

I don't know if these temps are normal:

At Idle, temperatures are around 38-48 c
When the load averages around 30% I have cpu temps that average around 60-65 c
When the load averages around 50-60% I have cpu temps of 70-78 c
I haven't tested the load pass 65%.

Is this normal? These are my temps with an open computer case. I'm using Real temp GT 3.7, and when I had the case closed, Thermal Status would say, "log" and occasionally change to "hot". :heink:

Solution
The MX-2 tube you showed me is the 1.5 gram version, I was talking about the 4 gram version. I bought mine for 4.99 and it has always been like that at Canadacomputers, but either way yes it is essentially the same paste. You may want to do a bit more looking around to find a better price. If you cannot find MX-2 at a cheap price for 4g then go for the Arctic Silver 5 since it is much cheaper. Also you should have no fear at all for the Hyper 212, I will guarentee you that it will fit :D The Hyper 212 needs at least 7.5 inches for width of a case, you have 9 inches which means you will have extra room so it will not be a tight fit.

- Socialfox :)

socialfox

Distinguished
Absolutely not, the stock cooler should be keeping it below the 70's for sure, what kind of computer case are you using? How many fans and what are there orientation(intake/exhaust)? And try using HWmonitor and prime 95 for accurate temperatures.

bluva

Distinguished
May 7, 2011

Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147153&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-NA-_-NA

3 fans in it. I don't know how to check the intake/exhaust.

@obsama1, yes, it's installed correctly. I checked it twice.

socialfox

Distinguished
Okay not too bad at idle, but can you provide me a screenshot with you playing a game or stressing out the CPU. Also your temperatures on the hard drive and motherboard are good so its not an airflow issue but something with the CPU cooler or voltage.

bluva

Distinguished
May 7, 2011

I can't run any graphic extensive games, since my card is RMA at the moment. Can you recommend a stress test software?

socialfox

Distinguished
Holy Cr*p, you should have stopped the test as soon as you hit over 70 degrees! Does your CPU still work fine? Did you notice anything with the fan speed? Your computer should have shut down if you have enabled overheating protection in the bios. Can you give me a picture of your computer with the side panel open, I need to see how the cooler looks like and where your CPU cooler fan is orientated. You definitely need a new CPU cooler if you have installed the cooler correctly and there is enough thermal paste on it. I think it may be defective as in the cooler (which I thought I coolers cant)but there may be issues with it. Or the motherboard/CPU has a bad temperature sensor.

Also how is the surface of the heatsink? If you do know I would recommend you sand it with 400, 600, 800, 1000 grit sandpaper till you get a nice smooth and maybe a mirror finish.

unclewebb

Sep 11, 2007
For your CPU run the regular version of RealTemp. The GT version is for the 6 core CPUs.

When it says LOG, that means your CPU has logged a thermal throttling episode since you started up. When it says HOT, that means a thermal throttling episode is in progress.

Trust what RealTemp is telling you. HWMonitor tends to under report the maximum core temperatures when stress testing.

RealTemp 3.70
http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2089/Real_Temp_3.70.html

The thermal shutdown temperature of your CPU is approximately 125C. Anything below the thermal throttling temperature, typically 100C, is within the Intel spec.

socialfox

Distinguished
You have quite a bit of dust in your computer I advise you to clean it up with a compressed air can or just several cotton swabs. In addition, have you given any though to the sanding of the heatsink base? It can really help lower your temperatures. Also you should buy MX-2 for thermal paste, It is pretty cheap in price and is one of the best thermal pastes. I say it should be under $10 dollars, I can get mine at 4.99 at canadacomputers. Remember to only use a pea size amount of thermal paste on the center of the CPU. In addition, you should take Unclewebb's advice, I just looked at real temp and it does say it is designed for intel processors, I myself use HWmonitor because I have a quad core AMD processor.

bluva

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
Yes, i can buy another fan and clean inside the computer case. I just want the fan to be compatible with my computer case. I've seen some that looked huge. I will also buy thermal paste, even though i'm scared of the process of removing the old paste from the cpu (i feel that i will mess it up).

so this is what you're talking about?
http://www.amazon.com/Arctic-Cooling-ORACO-MX20301-BU-Thermal-Compound/dp/B0073XUCLE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1351377567&sr=8-1&keywords=MX-2

this one has a lot of positive reviews.
http://www.amazon.com/Arctic-Silver-Polysynthetic-Thermal-Compound/dp/B0002VFXFE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1351377604&sr=8-1&keywords=thermal+paste

This cool master looks like it sticks out of the computer case.
http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Hyper-Plus-RR-B10-212P-G1/dp/B002G1YPH0/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1351377665&sr=1-1&keywords=cpu+fan

socialfox

Distinguished
The MX-2 tube you showed me is the 1.5 gram version, I was talking about the 4 gram version. I bought mine for 4.99 and it has always been like that at Canadacomputers, but either way yes it is essentially the same paste. You may want to do a bit more looking around to find a better price. If you cannot find MX-2 at a cheap price for 4g then go for the Arctic Silver 5 since it is much cheaper. Also you should have no fear at all for the Hyper 212, I will guarentee you that it will fit :D The Hyper 212 needs at least 7.5 inches for width of a case, you have 9 inches which means you will have extra room so it will not be a tight fit.

- Socialfox :)

Solution

Latest posts