Sign in with
Your question

Issues with Upgrading Video Card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 29, 2012 12:23:38 AM

Hey Guys!

I'm having some issues with my computer and thought I could seek your guy's advice. You guys may have saw my previous thread a couple of days ago about my PSU compatibility with a newer card.

I have been upgrading my PC lately and I just stuck a new video card into my system and I'm having some weird problems with it. Before I begin, here were my old specs:

AMD Phenom II Black 3.4 ghz quad core CPU
8GB RAM
XFX ATI Radeon HD 5750 1GB PCI-E card
600w Thermaltake PSU

The video card I purchased for it was an XFX ATI Radeon HD 6870 1GB PCI-E card. At first I was concerned about running the card with my current PSU since this card needs two 6-pin connectors and my old one only needed one. I do have two 6-pin connectors but one of them is a 6+2 pin and both connectors share the same cable (one runs off of the other) so I was a bit concerned but I was told it would be fine by several friends and posters here.

Anywho, I wiped out all of my drivers and installed the new card, along with the newest drivers. I noticed once the driver installation completed, I got some strange error message saying something like "warnings occured during installation" and gave me a yellow error sign. Since it seemed to complete, I thought nothing of it.

I tested various games by running The Witcher 2, Battlefield 3, Skyrim, and Space Marine all on max settings on a 720p resolution (since that is my max resolution for my monitor) and everything ran silky smooth and perfectly. However, once I started playing games for more than say 10 minutes, my whole computer would lock up. I could run only on Windows and be just fine but during a graphics heavy game, I would get a full system lock up. This occurred during two games I tested.

At first I thought that driver error maybe caused this. I wiped out the drivers again and installed fresh several times and still gave me the funny error. So next I checked all of my temperatures on my CPU, GPU, fan speeds, ect. and all of them were below 30 degrees so that couldn't be an issue at all. I checked my voltages too and they seemed fine (but I didn't check them while gaming).

I was baffled on what to do next, so I wiped the drivers again, installed my old 5750 card, installed the drivers again, and STILL got the funny little error (which while reading up on, I read a fresh Windows install will fix). However, I spent quite awhile playing Space Marine (one of the games it locked up on) and never had a lockup occur. So the issue HAS to deal with the 6870 being in my system for some reason.

So what do you guys think could be causing this? The 6870 gave me no problems at all performance wise (like running slower than normal), just full system lockups after playing for awhile. Could the PSU really be the issue here or is it something else? I really do not want to buy a bigger PSU right now (since I just dropped the cash for this video card) unless I really have to. Any guesses?

Thanks!
a c 87 U Graphics card
April 29, 2012 2:12:46 AM

other then the warning do you have a error code,would alsolook if you got the net framework 4.0 or newer install on your system it's is needed for the new driver
m
l
April 29, 2012 2:24:17 AM

No error code, it just displays that message after the install completes. When I re-installed my old video card it did the same thing but the performance has been just fine. As for 4.0 framework, yes I do have it.
m
l
Related resources
a c 87 U Graphics card
April 29, 2012 2:36:04 AM

post the link of your psu
m
l
a c 143 U Graphics card
April 29, 2012 3:14:30 AM

The question is what's the error you get?
Thermaltake Tough Power PSUs are only known for the high quality, any series else had some issues and that PSU got 1 egg rating from 29 persons.

HD 6870 doesn't consume too much power, it won't differ to much from the HD 5750 and that PSU actually could run a HD 7970. But let's assume it's the PSU, can you try testing with another one?
m
l
a c 87 U Graphics card
April 29, 2012 3:15:00 AM

this psu got a 5 years warranty try the rma for defect also read the reviews on the link from user
m
l
April 29, 2012 3:23:41 AM

ilysaml said:
The question is what's the error you get?
Thermaltake Tough Power PSUs are only known for the high quality, any series else had some issues and that PSU got 1 egg rating from 29 persons.

HD 6870 doesn't consume too much power, it won't differ to much from the HD 5750 and that PSU actually could run a HD 7970. But let's assume it's the PSU, can you try testing with another one?

The funny thing is that it doesn't actually tell me what the error is, even when I read the text report after it installs. It tells me there is some kind of error but doesn't actually tell me what it is.

Unfortunately the only other PSU I have is a 500 watt which is also a TR2 Thermaltake PSU so I doubt that will help me much, heh.
m
l
a c 143 U Graphics card
April 29, 2012 3:28:53 AM

Just give a try.

Also make sure you're with the latest drivers, NET FrameWork, C++.
m
l
April 29, 2012 4:33:06 AM

I just used one of those power supply calculators to estimate what wattage of PSU I should have and it recommended a 420w so honestly unless this PSU is poop and doesn't run at the wattage it should, I shouldn't be having an issue with it.

What else could it possibly be though?
m
l
a c 143 U Graphics card
April 29, 2012 11:14:54 AM

Try a fresh install of Win with the latest updates, move the card to another PCIE slot, make sure temps are okay. Update the mobo to the latest BIOS..
m
l
April 29, 2012 6:30:52 PM

So I decided to put the new card back in and do some temperature and voltage checks during gaming.

When I'm just on my desktop doing normal, non graphics heavy tasks, my +12v reads at 12.16v or sometimes (but rarely) dips to 11.86v. My CPU, mobo and GPU temps always stay below 30 degrees. Although, my +5v dips down to 4.97 a lot.

While gaming, my +12v would fluctuate to 12.10 and sometimes go as low as 11.06. My CPU and GPU temps always stayed very low (with the GPU getting into the high 40's and low 50's during high end gaming) so my temps should be just fine. I did start to notice some system hangs and audio cut-outs that lasted a couple of minutes but no lock ups this time (although I stopped my tests after the first system hang so it wouldn't lead to that).

Do you guys think since my +12v is dipping down almost to 11v, that the PSU really is the issue?
m
l
a c 143 U Graphics card
April 29, 2012 6:59:23 PM

Yup. It should stay always @ 12.xx
m
l
April 30, 2012 4:59:43 AM

So I decided to suck it up and buy a new PSU, which is a Corsair 700w that guarantees continuous 700w usage. After hooking it up and playing Space Marine for almost an hour, I had zero issues. The PSU was definitely the culprit here.

I appreciate the support guys, thank you!
m
l
a c 87 U Graphics card
April 30, 2012 5:03:08 AM

enjoy the machine have fun with the game
m
l
!