3.95 RAM usable of the 8GB

Hello people,

I just builded my new pc, and I found a problem about my RAM. I have installed 8GB of RAM, but my pc shows that only 3.95 is usable. When checking at CPU-Z it's telling me it is running in Single-Channel, but it's Dual-Channel RAM. I only have 2 RAM slots on my mobo so I don't know what's the problem. I already unchecked the Maximum Memory thing at msconfig. Somebody help?

PC specs:
Motherboard :: ASRock FM2A75M-DGS
Processor :: AMD A10-5800K QUAD (4 CPUs), ~3.8GHz
Memory :: G-Skill RipjawsX 8192MB - 1600MHz
Video Card :: EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 460
Hard Disk :: Seagate 500GB 7200RPM
Power Supply :: OCZ Fatal1ty 550W
7 answers Last reply
More about usable
  1. Try one memory stick at a time. I'm pretty sure on of them is faulty.
  2. You did not say so I will ask are you using a 64bit OS like Windows 7 x64? Windows 7 32bit can only use a max of 4gig of ram.
  3. What version of windows are you using?

If you are using 32bit windows, then you won't be able to utilize more than 4GB of memory.
  4. Oh yeah, forgot to say, I have windows 64-bits..
  5. noidea_77 said:
    Try one memory stick at a time. I'm pretty sure on of them is faulty.

Already tried that, they both work.
  6. Are they the same kind of RAM?

Have you tried each stick in each slot individually (four possible combinations)? Could be a faulty slot on the mobo.

If so, have you tried any other sticks of RAM in both slots at the same time? Could be a faulty controller/north bridge/whatever it is that controls those things on a mobo.
  7. thuggish said:
    Are they the same kind of RAM?

Have you tried each stick in each slot individually (four possible combinations)? Could be a faulty slot on the mobo.

If so, have you tried any other sticks of RAM in both slots at the same time? Could be a faulty controller/north bridge/whatever it is that controls those things on a mobo.

Yep, it are two sticks of G-Skill RipjawsX 4GB. I only got two slots on my mobo, so that won't be the problem. I got some old RAM here but it's 2x 2GB, I can try that. I only got no time to try it now, so I will let you know later.
Ask a new question

Read More

RAM Components