Sign in with
Your question

Computer still freezing up after 6 months, need expert help

Last response: in Systems
June 22, 2012 10:49:21 PM

So here's the deal, I built a fairly decent system last fall and everything worked great untill... I knocked it over! :pt1cable:  Much to my dismay, the computer refused to boot up. A couple months past and I finally got around to testing the power supply (Corsair GS700) and it was dead. I went out and got a new PSU and everything booted up and worked just fine except one issue persisted.

Everytime I loaded a graphically intense program, games, screensavers and sometimes netflix movies, the entire system work freeze. No artifacts or stuttering, just instantanious freeze untill I would have to hard reboot.

I've updated drivers, rolled back drivers, chipsets, bios etc etc and nothing seems to remedy the problem. I'm not sure if its a software/firmware related issue or a hardware problem. Nothing in the event logs seem to indicate why the system is freezing.

Any opinions or suggestions you guys may have would be greatly appreaciated. I really don't know where to go from here in terms of diagnosing the problem. I'
m fine with replacing stuff, I just don't want to have to replace stuff that doesn't need replacing. Moral of the story, DON'T KNOCK OVER YOUR COMPUTER! Below is the current equipment on board.

Windows 7 Premium
ASUS P8P67 LE mobo
ASUS 570 GTX DirectCU II
ASUS Blu-ray drive
Corsair Force 3 120 GB SSD
Corsair Vengence Memory 8GB
Corsair Hydro H80 Cooler
Thermaltake TR2 RX 850W psu
Intel 2500k cpu
June 22, 2012 11:06:50 PM

I would remove each memory stick and check it for damage then reinstall it. Do the same with the video card. Disconnect every cable and reconnect it. If you can examine the MB from both sides for hairline cracks in the solder or board itself. If it were my system I would probably take it apart and reassemble it to be sure all was tight, not bent or broken. You can try each memory stick one at a time also. Sounds like when the system gets warm something is malfunctioning. If there is a loose connector, a fracture in the solder or some other similar defect, it could be ok when cold but opens when it heats up. I would also pop the CPU and re-seat it with a fresh thermal paste application.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
June 22, 2012 11:06:55 PM

I would reseat all the heat sinks, and verify all the connectors from the power supply are properly connected. I think temps or lack of power might be an issue. If all those are ok maybe borrow a different graphics board and see what happens.

Mac
m
l
Related resources
June 24, 2012 2:20:02 AM

I agree, install a temp monitoring program and watch your temps. if it freezes at high temp then you have a heat problem. if temp has nothing to do with it then try running off of onboard graphics or try the GPU in a known working computer.

bad psu's deliver fluctuating power which degrades components very quickly. that might be your problem.
m
l
June 26, 2012 12:15:07 AM

lourendo said:
I agree, install a temp monitoring program and watch your temps. if it freezes at high temp then you have a heat problem. if temp has nothing to do with it then try running off of onboard graphics or try the GPU in a known working computer.

bad psu's deliver fluctuating power which degrades components very quickly. that might be your problem.

I'm guessing its not a heat issue. After posting, I downloaded and ran the PassMark program to benchmark everything that I could. CPU checked out on various calculation/load tests, Ram benchmarked well, SSD checked out. It wan't until the GPU test ran did things go wrong, the 2D test went off without a hitch, but when the 3D test started the computer froze on the first frame, it basically rendered only one frame. So really there wouldn't even have been enough time to generate much heat. So this is why I'm thinking its a software problem; the system can't even render two 3D frames

I'm going to try and rebuild everything this weekend and check for any cracks or physical damage, I'll report my findings if any. As always any comments or suggestions are welcome.

on a side note my mobo doesn't have an onboard display port
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
June 26, 2012 1:39:29 AM

i still think hardware, try another GPU!

Mac
m
l
June 26, 2012 3:18:26 AM

Make sure your GPU isnt screwed (figuratively). What it COULD be is that your dead PSU *MAY* have taken your GPU down with it when it died. PSU deaths have this nasty tendancy to pull other components down with it. Are your GPU temps high? Are you overclocking it? Consider things like that. Good luck with your computer, bro. =/ Sorry to hear your having such bad problems. Personally, I would die if my computer was doing stuff like that D:
m
l
June 26, 2012 5:49:11 AM

Remove the graphics car and inspect it. You knocked the system over. Check the slot to see that it is no cracked. Reinstall it and make sure all it's power connectors are tight. Giver your chain of events it does not sound like a software issue. The card and system should 3d render with the native Win7 drivers.
m
l
June 26, 2012 6:01:51 AM

i see i guess i forgot to check your mobo specs(i usually do before posting).

first test for obvious connection issues.

m
l
June 26, 2012 2:19:56 PM

It does annoy me that an issue caused by user error and mishandling of the system be shoved off on the manufacture for remedy. If he puts in for a warranty claim it will be fraud. The suggestion that a person lie and not take responsibility for the results of their actions is abhorrent. This is not the type of help that is supported in these forums.
m
l
July 1, 2012 12:42:23 AM

Very true. I don't intend on sending anything back since I was the one who messed it up to begin with. I'm just trying to make sure and whittle down the guessing to one component before I purchase anything new. After going through and reassembling and testing the system, Im going to guess the video card is fried. (no visible cracks in the mono btw) I would just like to verify this is the issue 100% before I drop another $300. I'm still puzzled by the fact that it renders 2D graphics but not 3D. Since I switched out PSU's I want to believe it could be some type of power management issue? It doesn't heat up and starts to freeze up on the first rendered 3D frame.

Again any comments or suggestions are welcome. Thanks for all the help!
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
July 1, 2012 2:48:09 AM

Well if you are going to spend money on a new card ....buy the same card (you have) and if it is something else (wrong)you can then bridge the tow cards in the new set.
Just a thought!

Mac
m
l
!