Sign in with
Your question

Help! blue screens, program failures, and random shut downs!

Last response: in Systems
June 22, 2012 11:09:18 PM

Alright guys, so I have a problem that has been plaguing me for a couple of months now. So my build is an Asus motherboard, 8 gigs of DDR3 memory, Core 2 quad Q9300, 1000 watt power supply, Radeon HD 6800 graphics card, OCZ agility SSD, 1 TB slave drive, Windows 7 64 bit.

So I first put the computer together with a random 500 watt power supply. Got a random blue screen about 2-3 times a day. I reinstalled Windows, but now I get an option to select which operating system to choose (Windows 7 or Windows 7) on boot up. One Windows 7 is the real one, the other one just restarts my boot. I find this odd because I formatted my drives (yes, both of them) before I reinstalled Windows. I also updated all of my drivers one at a time. I still get random fail to boots, and random blue screens, and random system messages about background programs not responding (Catalyst, other system programs). I also get a lot of errors running Diablo 3. And sometimes when I boot my sound drivers wont load etc.

So I figured my power supply wasn't enough. Ordered a brand new power supply, 1000w. Running temps seem fine, but still getting random shut downs, And I now have to unplug the PSU for about 10 seconds before it will turn on, and I'm getting a message on boot that says system shut down to prevent power surge from unstable power supply. Also now my computer shuts down instantly when I try and run diablo 3.

Now, I don't make a ton of money, and I'm trying to save up because I just got a house and have a baby on the way. Can somebody please help before I dump more money into this? Most of these components are new, I just want to be able to play D3 and surf the web! :( 
a b B Homebuilt system
a b $ Windows 7
a b ) Power supply
June 23, 2012 12:29:33 AM

start by posting the mb info. i would start by checking that you have all the bios updates for the mb and your ssd. also have the newest intel chipset drivers and the intel ssd drivers the one with the mb cd are old. download open hardware monitor and watch your voltages and temps. check tat there not pinced wires or wires in the fans and all the fans spin fine. also that you have all the standoffs in . use cpu-z and gpu-z to see if cpu and ram are reading right in the mb. (speed and timing..most ram ddr3 has to be switched to xmp profile and the voltage may need to be bumped. (the ram speeds be listed in cpu-z spd info.
gpu-z will read the mb temp and van speed. check that the card reading pci-x (2.0 or 3.0 depending on your cpu and gpu_ the speed should be 16x. make sure got the newest ati drivers and the newest sound drivers from asus. also check that the ram is on the mb qal list.
June 23, 2012 12:32:45 PM

P5G41T-M LX PlUS is the motherboard.

Also I'm not sure how to check the mobo bios, and I was unaware that the SSD had a bios that I had to update. I will attempt to figure out what you were talking about with the rest of your reply, and I will try to do that and post results. Thanks!
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
June 23, 2012 2:15:02 PM

Well, I did everything you said. What numbers should I post on here from the results?

Also, my taskbar at the bottom now looks like Windows 98, and I keep getting messages that Windows explorer has stopped working.
a b B Homebuilt system
a b $ Windows 7
a b ) Power supply
June 23, 2012 11:04:50 PM

what speed is the ddr3 ram. that mb was made for 800 speed ddr-3. if your running 1600 speed ram the mb may not have set the speed right.
DDR3 1066/800.
ddr3 1600 is 800 bus speed. 1066 is 533 bus speed and 800 ram is 400 bus speed.
use cpu-z and see what the speed the ram is at. you may have to slow it down.
June 24, 2012 2:16:46 AM

try a different outlet. maybe the outlet shares a circuit with some other high draw device like a fridge. also check that your psu is set to correct voltage setting on the back of the device.
!