Sign in with
Your question

Upgrade

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 29, 2012 2:06:22 AM

Ok I have 2 "older" gaming machines both with AMD socket 2+ chipsets, i'm not sure if I can get away with a minimal upgrade to move up to a vid card like EVGA 02G-P3-1568-KR GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card. Right now im running an AMD Athalon 7850 dual core 2.8 ghz processor with Windows 7 64 bit, 8 gigs of RAM (not sure of speed) and an Asus EN9800 GTX+ 512MB vid memory. Since im unable to find many socket 2+ CPUs....would it be beneficial to upgrade to an AMD Phenom X3 8550 triple core (if thats an upgrade at all) to make use of this vid card upgrade or do I need to get a new MB, CPU and all that jazz? Would be about $300 for CPU and vid card, per computer and probably double that (at least) to go with a new MB, CPU, vid card, will need new RAM im sure and probably a new power supply for the one machine. Thank you, any info would be appreciated if you can make sense of all that lol

More about : upgrade

a c 254 U Graphics card
April 29, 2012 2:24:22 AM

I guess you have to sit down and figure out what you really want to do , do you want to try and upgrade piece by piec or do you want to jump in and go for a nice new build.
Motherboard , cpu , ram and power supply to go along with the new video card sure would be nice and you can rest asured that all the components will be working together with no bottlenecks. It would certianly be more expensive to go that route and that's why it's going to be up to you and what you want to do. You shouldn't be talked into going one way or the other it should be your own decision.
m
l
!