I'm trying to figure out PCI-E

chamchow

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2011
I was looking up on what I would need to install for a wireless desktop and it seemed that the pci, pci-e, or a usb card. I use my rig for gaming so connection is important to me so pci-e seemed to be the way to go, but upon further research I can't really find anywhere that gives me a clear idea of what I should be looking for in them. Furthermore after looking on newegg at the pci-e cards they had graphic card specs and it confused me, a little help understanding pci-e would be very helpful.

socialfox

Distinguished
PCI-E means Peripheral Component Interconnect Express. It is a step of above PCI since it can put out more watts to devices using it. It would be helpful if I could get your motherboard model to ensure how many PCI ports, PCI-E ports, and PCI-E 2.0 ports you have. There are a variety of PC hardware that use the PCI ports.

Is this what you are asking for?:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704059

NoUserBar

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
PCI-E means Peripheral Component Interconnect Express. It is a step of above PCI since it can put out more watts to devices using it. It would be helpful if I could get your motherboard model to ensure how many PCI ports, PCI-E ports, and PCI-E 2.0 ports you have. There are a variety of PC hardware that use the PCI ports.
What he said is right.

There are different versions, the one to worry about with graphics cards are: 1.0, 2.0, 2.1, 3.0. AFAIK.

They are inputs/outputs, for sending/receiving data from/to devices.

3.0 is the latest and has the most bandwidth (speed of data and how much data) only intel has that so far with it's sockets.

2.1 cards are not usually compatible with 1.0 inputs. 2.0/2.1 can fit any card, but can't use 3.0 bandwidth.

Btw, no card today uses 3.0 bandwidth fully, so it doesn't make much difference on wether or not you can use 3.0. Not yet anyway.

TRENDING THREADS