Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Default HTML editor in IE

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
February 17, 2005 8:32:44 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

BlankI have IE6.0 SP2 and I would prefer, when using View|Source to view
HTML files on the Web using UltraEDit

When I go to Internet Options | Programs the only options available are
Microsoft Excel
Microsoft FrontPage
Microsoft Word
Notepad

How do I change this list?

I can find this key in the Registry:
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Default HTML
Editor\shell\edit\command
But it contains the value
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\WINWORD.EXE" /n /dde

And Notepad is in fact the editor it uses.

Any ideas?
--
Cheers,
Trevor L.


I choose Polesoft Lockspam to fight spam, and you?
http://www.polesoft.com/refer.html

More about : default html editor

February 17, 2005 8:32:45 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Trevor L. wrote:
>I have IE6.0 SP2 and I would prefer, when using View|Source to view
>HTML files on the Web using UltraEDit

Download the Notepad replacement file from the UltraEdit site. Follow
the instructions and UE will come up instead of Notepad.
Anonymous
February 17, 2005 10:14:12 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Trevor,

View Source Editor is different from the HTML Editor (IE Options, Program
tab). View Source Editor is defined here:

[HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\View Source Editor\Editor Name]

BTW, to add the default HTML Editor, see:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/htmleditor.htm

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User
http://windowsxp.mvps.org


"Trevor L." <tandcl@homemail.com.au> wrote in message
news:o UTuFqLFFHA.2600@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> BlankI have IE6.0 SP2 and I would prefer, when using View|Source to view
> HTML files on the Web using UltraEDit
>
> When I go to Internet Options | Programs the only options available are
> Microsoft Excel
> Microsoft FrontPage
> Microsoft Word
> Notepad
>
> How do I change this list?
>
> I can find this key in the Registry:
> HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Default HTML
> Editor\shell\edit\command
> But it contains the value
> "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\WINWORD.EXE" /n /dde
>
> And Notepad is in fact the editor it uses.
>
> Any ideas?
> --
> Cheers,
> Trevor L.
>
>
> I choose Polesoft Lockspam to fight spam, and you?
> http://www.polesoft.com/refer.html
Related resources
Anonymous
February 18, 2005 2:53:53 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Thanks, Ramesh.

I thought they may not have been the same. I have used the script to which
you sent a reference to add UltraEdit as the default HTML editor, but as
you indicated, this does not open a web page in UltraEdit

The key [HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\View Source Editor\Editor
Name] does not exist. I have searched the Registry for both "View Source
Editor" and "Editor Name" (without the quotes) and the search returned
nothing

Why would I not have the key (Windows XP Home SP2)?
Or is it something slightly different?
--
Thanks,
Trevor L.


I choose Polesoft Lockspam to fight spam, and you?
http://www.polesoft.com/refer.html
Anonymous
February 18, 2005 3:13:20 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Fred,

I have a copy of UltraEdit and in fact have added it to my context menu
(right click) so I don't need to download it.

What I need to do is set some Registry key so that IE uses it rather than
Notepad when doing View|Source.

Ramesh has offered some advice but unfortunately I can't find the key he
mentioned.
--
Cheers,
Trevor L.


I choose Polesoft Lockspam to fight spam, and you?
http://www.polesoft.com/refer.html
February 18, 2005 3:13:21 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Trevor L. wrote:
>I have a copy of UltraEdit and in fact have added it to my context menu
>(right click) so I don't need to download it.

Read my post again. Where did I say anything about downloading UE?
Nowhere!

Go here: http://www.idmcomp.com/downloads/additional.html then scroll
down near the bottom of the page. Get the Notepad replacement, follow
the instructions.

>What I need to do is set some Registry key so that IE uses it rather than
>Notepad when doing View|Source.

Do the above and you will have what you want.


It's not rocket science.
Anonymous
February 18, 2005 6:00:52 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Often keys are there only if the default behaviour is being overruled.

You should be able to click edit on the toolbar and it will open in UE.

Add the key if you want View Source.
--
----------------------------------------------------------
http://www.microscum.com/mscommunity/
"Trevor L." <tandcl@homemail.com.au> wrote in message news:eUlIcRVFFHA.3068@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Thanks, Ramesh.
>
> I thought they may not have been the same. I have used the script to which
> you sent a reference to add UltraEdit as the default HTML editor, but as
> you indicated, this does not open a web page in UltraEdit
>
> The key [HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\View Source Editor\Editor
> Name] does not exist. I have searched the Registry for both "View Source
> Editor" and "Editor Name" (without the quotes) and the search returned
> nothing
>
> Why would I not have the key (Windows XP Home SP2)?
> Or is it something slightly different?
> --
> Thanks,
> Trevor L.
>
>
> I choose Polesoft Lockspam to fight spam, and you?
> http://www.polesoft.com/refer.html
>
>
Anonymous
February 18, 2005 7:09:23 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

David,

You are so right.

I didn't even notice the edit icon on he toolbar; I was so used to View
Source. I will try to add UDEDIT as the default by creating a new Registry
key, but if I can't, it doesn't matter - the edit button works.
--
Cheers,
Trevor L.


I choose Polesoft Lockspam to fight spam, and you?
http://www.polesoft.com/refer.html
Anonymous
February 18, 2005 7:22:57 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

So will adding the registry key.

--
----------------------------------------------------------
http://www.microscum.com/mscommunity/
"Trevor L." <tandcl@homemail.com.au> wrote in message news:%23hEikgXFFHA.4004@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> David,
>
> You are so right.
>
> I didn't even notice the edit icon on he toolbar; I was so used to View
> Source. I will try to add UDEDIT as the default by creating a new Registry
> key, but if I can't, it doesn't matter - the edit button works.
> --
> Cheers,
> Trevor L.
>
>
> I choose Polesoft Lockspam to fight spam, and you?
> http://www.polesoft.com/refer.html
>
>
Anonymous
February 18, 2005 7:50:33 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

David,

Indeed it does work (adding the Registry key, that is) :-).

Thank you and Ramesh for your gracious help
--
God Bless,
Trevor L.


I choose Polesoft Lockspam to fight spam, and you?
http://www.polesoft.com/refer.html
!