Default HTML editor in IE

BlankI have IE6.0 SP2 and I would prefer, when using View|Source to view
HTML files on the Web using UltraEDit

When I go to Internet Options | Programs the only options available are
Microsoft Excel
Microsoft FrontPage
Microsoft Word
Notepad

How do I change this list?

I can find this key in the Registry:
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Default HTML
Editor\shell\edit\command
But it contains the value
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\WINWORD.EXE" /n /dde

And Notepad is in fact the editor it uses.

Any ideas?
--
Cheers,
Trevor L.

http://www.polesoft.com/refer.html
9 answers Last reply
More about default html editor

    Trevor L. wrote:
    >I have IE6.0 SP2 and I would prefer, when using View|Source to view
    >HTML files on the Web using UltraEDit

    Download the Notepad replacement file from the UltraEdit site. Follow
    the instructions and UE will come up instead of Notepad.

    Trevor,

    tab). View Source Editor is defined here:

    [HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\View Source Editor\Editor Name]

    BTW, to add the default HTML Editor, see:
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/htmleditor.htm

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Trevor L." <tandcl@homemail.com.au> wrote in message
    > BlankI have IE6.0 SP2 and I would prefer, when using View|Source to view
    > HTML files on the Web using UltraEDit
    >
    > When I go to Internet Options | Programs the only options available are
    > Microsoft Excel
    > Microsoft FrontPage
    > Microsoft Word
    > Notepad
    >
    > How do I change this list?
    >
    > I can find this key in the Registry:
    > HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Default HTML
    > Editor\shell\edit\command
    > But it contains the value
    > "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\WINWORD.EXE" /n /dde
    >
    > And Notepad is in fact the editor it uses.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    > --
    > Cheers,
    > Trevor L.
    >

    > I choose Polesoft Lockspam to fight spam, and you?
    > http://www.polesoft.com/refer.html

    Thanks, Ramesh.

    I thought they may not have been the same. I have used the script to which
    you sent a reference to add UltraEdit as the default HTML editor, but as
    you indicated, this does not open a web page in UltraEdit

    The key [HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\View Source Editor\Editor
    Name] does not exist. I have searched the Registry for both "View Source
    Editor" and "Editor Name" (without the quotes) and the search returned
    nothing

    Why would I not have the key (Windows XP Home SP2)?
    Or is it something slightly different?
    --
    Thanks,
    Trevor L.

    http://www.polesoft.com/refer.html

    Fred,

    I have a copy of UltraEdit and in fact have added it to my context menu
    (right click) so I don't need to download it.

    What I need to do is set some Registry key so that IE uses it rather than
    Notepad when doing View|Source.

    Ramesh has offered some advice but unfortunately I can't find the key he
    mentioned.
    --

    Trevor L. wrote:
    >I have a copy of UltraEdit and in fact have added it to my context menu
    >(right click) so I don't need to download it.

    Read my post again. Where did I say anything about downloading UE?
    Nowhere!

    Go here: http://www.idmcomp.com/downloads/additional.html then scroll
    down near the bottom of the page. Get the Notepad replacement, follow
    the instructions.

    >What I need to do is set some Registry key so that IE uses it rather than
    >Notepad when doing View|Source.

    Do the above and you will have what you want.

    It's not rocket science.

    Often keys are there only if the default behaviour is being overruled.

    You should be able to click edit on the toolbar and it will open in UE.

    Add the key if you want View Source.
    http://www.microscum.com/mscommunity/
    "Trevor L." <tandcl@homemail.com.au> wrote in message news:eUlIcRVFFHA.3068@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    > Thanks, Ramesh.
    >
    > I thought they may not have been the same. I have used the script to which
    > you sent a reference to add UltraEdit as the default HTML editor, but as
    > you indicated, this does not open a web page in UltraEdit
    >
    > The key [HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\View Source Editor\Editor
    > Name] does not exist. I have searched the Registry for both "View Source
    > Editor" and "Editor Name" (without the quotes) and the search returned
    > nothing
    >
    > Why would I not have the key (Windows XP Home SP2)?
    > Or is it something slightly different?
    > --
    > Thanks,
    > Trevor L.
    >

    > I choose Polesoft Lockspam to fight spam, and you?
    > http://www.polesoft.com/refer.html

    David,

    You are so right.

    I didn't even notice the edit icon on he toolbar; I was so used to View
    Source. I will try to add UDEDIT as the default by creating a new Registry
    key, but if I can't, it doesn't matter - the edit button works.
    --
    Cheers,
    Trevor L.

    http://www.polesoft.com/refer.html

    So will adding the registry key.

    "Trevor L." <tandcl@homemail.com.au> wrote in message news:%23hEikgXFFHA.4004@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    > David,
    >
    > You are so right.
    >
    > I didn't even notice the edit icon on he toolbar; I was so used to View
    > Source. I will try to add UDEDIT as the default by creating a new Registry
    > key, but if I can't, it doesn't matter - the edit button works.
    > --
    > Cheers,
    > Trevor L.
    >

    > I choose Polesoft Lockspam to fight spam, and you?
    > http://www.polesoft.com/refer.html

    David,

    Indeed it does work (adding the Registry key, that is) :-).

    Thank you and Ramesh for your gracious help
    --
    God Bless,
    Trevor L.

    http://www.polesoft.com/refer.html

Configuration Internet Explorer HTML Microsoft Windows XP