Downloading using PhotoShop (PSDs vs. JPEGs)

Last response: in Digital Camera
August 1, 2005 1:13:54 AM

Greetings, In posting this thread, I know I could just as well have chosen a
Windows Related NG but thought to try here first since this NG is totally
related to my problem.

I've got the Canon PowerShot S50, and have the corresponding software
installed on two machines --

Here's my dilemna. I'll use Zoombrowser for Transferring images which aren't
that important to me as JPG's: NO PROBLEM.

BUT, for those most important photos which I want to bring in as PSD's I'll
use PhotoShop instead. (Import Twain).

MY DILEMNA: On my orginal desktop I've never had problems getting this all
done in the background whilst I work on other programs and such.

But with my Laptop (a probably irrelevant fact), when bringing them in
through PhotoShop I'll constantly get interrupted by each window which is
reading and transferring each image. Ergo, I can't do any other work done
while downloading these images as PSDs.

Thus, I don't know what settings on either machine are making the
difference. Any ideas?

My Specs:
- Windows XP on both Machines,
- Canon Utilities ZoomBrowser EX 4.1
- Photoshop 5.0

Suggestions and ideas are welcomed. Thanks in advance.
August 1, 2005 4:50:08 AM

I presume your camera records images as jpegs.
The fastest way to get these on your computer is simply to copy the contents
of your memory card using a memory card reader to your computer hard drive.
Then you can open the files at leisure and only work on/save as PSD the
images you want to finish.
You really should upgrade from Photoshop 5: the changes in the program are
nothing short of astounding, in 7, CS and CS2 compared to 5. If you contact
Adobe and have a valid copy of 5 you will be eligible for the upgrade price
of PS CS2.
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 5:16:43 AM

"birdman" <apquilts@pacbell.net> wrote in message
>I presume your camera records images as jpegs.
> The fastest way to get these on your computer is simply to copy the
> contents of your memory card using a memory card reader to your computer
> hard drive.
> Then you can open the files at leisure and only work on/save as PSD the
> images you want to finish.
> You really should upgrade from Photoshop 5: the changes in the program are
> nothing short of astounding, in 7, CS and CS2 compared to 5. If you
> contact Adobe and have a valid copy of 5 you will be eligible for the
> upgrade price of PS CS2.

Yes, of course, I have a valid copy of version 5.0 PhotoShop but the thing
was:
avoiding this Windows Annoyance. That is, being interrupted by each import.

It's already working smoothly on one machine. But not on the other.

Obviously there's some difference in Windows XP settings as far as I can see
.....I just don't know what.

BTW, I doubt there's anything that'll hugely substantiate a difference in
transfer speed especially when you consider that
the machine I'm having a problem with is relatively twice as fast as my
older one. (It's a Windows Problem)
READ:
1.6 MegaHertz vs. 2.8 MegaHertz Pentium IV
760++ Megs of Ram vs. 1.5 Gigahertz of Ram

Huge difference don't you think? yet it doesn't make a difference in as far
as my question.
HOW DO I AVOID THIS ANNOYANCE?
August 1, 2005 5:22:17 AM

PS, as a correction,

I of course meant:

1.6 GigaHertz Pentium IV, 700+ Megs of RAM
VS.
2.8 GigaHertz Pentium IV, 1.5 GigaBytes of RAM
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 5:24:45 AM

WhoTurnedOffTheLights wrote:

> Greetings, In posting this thread, I know I could just as well have chosen a
> Windows Related NG but thought to try here first since this NG is totally
> related to my problem.
>
> I've got the Canon PowerShot S50, and have the corresponding software
> installed on two machines --
>
> Here's my dilemna. I'll use Zoombrowser for Transferring images which aren't
> that important to me as JPG's: NO PROBLEM.
>
> BUT, for those most important photos which I want to bring in as PSD's I'll
> use PhotoShop instead. (Import Twain).
>
> MY DILEMNA: On my orginal desktop I've never had problems getting this all
> done in the background whilst I work on other programs and such.
>
> But with my Laptop (a probably irrelevant fact), when bringing them in
> through PhotoShop I'll constantly get interrupted by each window which is
> reading and transferring each image. Ergo, I can't do any other work done
> while downloading these images as PSDs.
>
> Thus, I don't know what settings on either machine are making the
> difference. Any ideas?
>
> My Specs:
> - Windows XP on both Machines,
> - Canon Utilities ZoomBrowser EX 4.1
> - Photoshop 5.0
>
> Suggestions and ideas are welcomed. Thanks in advance.

Suggestions:
1.) Forget ZoomBrowser
2.) Use a USB 2.0 Card reader to download your memory card to your
computer. All images will be in jpeg format (Canon S50's native format).
3.) Once you open a jpeg in Photoshop, (double click the jpeg image) it
is automatically decompressed into .psd format. No need to import it
from your card via a twain driver.

If you want to SAVE the image after an editing session to do more work
on it later, save it as a psd file.
Once you are FINISHED editing the image and want to print it, you will
probably want to save it as the highest quality jpeg because that is the
way most commercial printers want to receive the image file.
Bob Williams
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 8:38:45 AM

"WhoTurnedOffTheLights" <Lights@light0987654321.com> wrote in

> "birdman" <apquilts@pacbell.net> wrote in message
>>I presume your camera records images as jpegs.
>> The fastest way to get these on your computer is simply to copy the
>> contents of your memory card using a memory card reader to your
>> computer hard drive.
>> Then you can open the files at leisure and only work on/save as PSD
>> the images you want to finish.
>> You really should upgrade from Photoshop 5: the changes in the
>> program are nothing short of astounding, in 7, CS and CS2 compared to
>> 5. If you contact Adobe and have a valid copy of 5 you will be
>> eligible for the upgrade price of PS CS2.
>
> Yes, of course, I have a valid copy of version 5.0 PhotoShop but the
> thing was:
> avoiding this Windows Annoyance. That is, being interrupted by each
> import.

....which is very easy if you use a card reader and drag copy to your hard
drive, instead of the overly complicated process of importing from the
camera into Photoshop, then saving the files individually.

Did you honestly miss this in birdman's message?

<snip>
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 5:55:38 PM

"Eric Gill" <ericvgill@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> "WhoTurnedOffTheLights" <Lights@light0987654321.com> wrote in
>
>> "birdman" <apquilts@pacbell.net> wrote in message
>>>I presume your camera records images as jpegs.
>>> The fastest way to get these on your computer is simply to copy the
>>> contents of your memory card using a memory card reader to your
>>> computer hard drive.
>>> Then you can open the files at leisure and only work on/save as PSD
>>> the images you want to finish.
>>> You really should upgrade from Photoshop 5: the changes in the
>>> program are nothing short of astounding, in 7, CS and CS2 compared to
>>> 5. If you contact Adobe and have a valid copy of 5 you will be
>>> eligible for the upgrade price of PS CS2.
>>
>> Yes, of course, I have a valid copy of version 5.0 PhotoShop but the
>> thing was:
>> avoiding this Windows Annoyance. That is, being interrupted by each
>> import.
>
> ...which is very easy if you use a card reader and drag copy to your hard
> drive, instead of the overly complicated process of importing from the
> camera into Photoshop, then saving the files individually.
>
> Did you honestly miss this in birdman's message?
>
> <snip>

Yes, I suppose I did since it was always my understanding that you're stuck
with whatever format that you originally open the file in.
Open it in JPEG and that'll be the highest quality you get.

So I guess you folks are saying that this isn't true? If so then I'll be off
to purchase a card reader.
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 5:56:35 PM

"birdman" <apquilts@pacbell.net> wrote in message
>I presume your camera records images as jpegs.
> The fastest way to get these on your computer is simply to copy the
> contents of your memory card using a memory card reader to your computer
> hard drive.
> Then you can open the files at leisure and only work on/save as PSD the
> images you want to finish.
> You really should upgrade from Photoshop 5: the changes in the program are
> nothing short of astounding, in 7, CS and CS2 compared to 5. If you
> contact Adobe and have a valid copy of 5 you will be eligible for the
> upgrade price of PS CS2.

Thank you Birdman for your post. Eric and Bob have set me straight.
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 11:48:38 PM

> Yes, I suppose I did since it was always my understanding that you're
> stuck with whatever format that you originally open the file in.
> Open it in JPEG and that'll be the highest quality you get.
>
> So I guess you folks are saying that this isn't true?

Not even vaguely. The S50 writes the images in JPEG format as soon as they
are taken, so that decision is made for you, and acquiring them in PSHOP
through TWAIN doesn't change that.

What you want to avoid is re-saving your original in JPEG format, as each
time it is saved, there is some degradation. Copy directly from the card to
your hard drive and use that set as your originals. If you want to edit
them, open another copy, work off of it, and save your working copy in PSD.

> If so then I'll
> be off to purchase a card reader.

You'll like it. Zoom Browser is ridiculously slow, and having to re-save
them individually is even worse.
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 4:16:54 AM

> "WhoTurnedOffTheLights" <Lights@light0987654321.com> wrote in
>
>> If so then I'll
>> be off to purchase a card reader.
>
> You'll like it. Zoom Browser is ridiculously slow, and having to re-save
> them individually is even worse.

Thanks Eric for the added insight. It's well appreciated.

Funny, I remembered now why a gadget happy guy like me hadn't gotten a card
reader yet. On the road, the less I have to worry about the happier my life
is. Lord knows I'd already lost a LI-ION battery once along with the charger
at some hotel somewhere.

For anyone who might benefit from this: I found out through another NG that
Windows XP actually has its own tools for importing the photos from the
camera. I tried it out and by golly it was so easy and quick! I even was
able to simply copy all the files from my camera over to my Laptop very
easily.

Anyone who's not aware of this already, just do a search in Windows Help for
(of all things): "Camera"

.....and again Eric, many thanks.
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 5:04:38 PM

> "Eric Gill" <ericvgill@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Thanks Eric for the added insight. It's well appreciated.

You bet.

> Funny, I remembered now why a gadget happy guy like me hadn't gotten a
> card reader yet. On the road, the less I have to worry about the
> happier my life is. Lord knows I'd already lost a LI-ION battery once
> along with the charger at some hotel somewhere.

<shrug> PCMCIA card readers are US$12 or less, and thin enough to store in
any handy pocket on your laptop case. Buy a couple.

> For anyone who might benefit from this: I found out through another NG
> that Windows XP actually has its own tools for importing the photos
> from the camera. I tried it out and by golly it was so easy and quick!
> I even was able to simply copy all the files from my camera over to my
> Laptop very easily.

Hey, if it's actually easier or faster than drag and drop, more power to
you. I've got a not entirely irrational hatred of Microsoft "features" that
are basically wizards that add more layers of clicking "just do it
already" to very simple processes.

<snip>
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 5:57:25 PM

> "WhoTurnedOffTheLights" <Lights@light0987654321.com> wrote in
>
>> "Eric Gill" <ericvgill@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>> Thanks Eric for the added insight. It's well appreciated.
>
> You bet.
>
>> Funny, I remembered now why a gadget happy guy like me hadn't gotten a
>> card reader yet. On the road, the less I have to worry about the
>> happier my life is. Lord knows I'd already lost a LI-ION battery once
>> along with the charger at some hotel somewhere.
>
> <shrug> PCMCIA card readers are US$12 or less, and thin enough to store in
> any handy pocket on your laptop case. Buy a couple.

Yeah Bud, I've seen that and plan to get 'em. I do.
I just feel it's best to have more than one way to skin that darn cat. When
you're in some other city and you've lost a component/gadget,
it's not so easy driving around in search of a store that'll have what you
need. Been there, done that....and it ain't fun.

>> For anyone who might benefit from this: I found out through another NG
>> that Windows XP actually has its own tools for importing the photos
>> from the camera. I tried it out and by golly it was so easy and quick!
>> I even was able to simply copy all the files from my camera over to my
>> Laptop very easily.
>
> Hey, if it's actually easier or faster than drag and drop, more power to
> you. I've got a not entirely irrational hatred of Microsoft "features"
> that
> are basically wizards that add more layers of clicking "just do it
> already" to very simple processes.

Errrr, drag and drop is actually what I meant. 'but you're not limited to
that method.
!