CPU Fan Failure

Icesips

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
Hello, after booting I've been getting a message saying "system fan has failed, service PC to prevent damage to the system press <F2> to continue", I opened my case and noticed my fan was still running, but at a low speed, i attempted to look into the BIOS ( American Megatrends 5.15) but couldn't find anything to disable or modify the error.

Speedfan shows all temperatures are normal, but it doesn't pick up my cpu fan.

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
Try switching (if it will reach) your fan to another fan header connection on your motherboard and see if the RPM is read. Conversely, try another fan on the CPU fan header connection. Low fan speed is not really and indication of fan failure, they generally work like they are supposed to, have unbearable bearing noise, or don't power up. These types of fans are voltage regulated (down to 5 volts) or are PWM controlled - meaning that you could see something like 600 RPM (maybe lower) and it's operating like it should as long as it ramps up with higher temperatures. If my last sentence checks out, either the control portion is broken on your motherboard, or more likely your tach sensor is broken on your fan.

socialfox

Distinguished
Seems like your fan is on its last feet, time to replace it. Are you by any chance running an HP computer? The last computer I replaced the fan was a HP one, and the fan I replaced it with had only a molex connector and so when I booted it, it displayed the same message. Point is if its not on the motherboard you get that message, if you do replace your fan don't forget to get a fan with a 3 pin connector for the motherboard. Anyways since you claim your is running at low speeds take the fan out and see if you can read the RPM, also be careful but place your finger on the center of the fan while running, with little to no force if it stops then you are correct its spinning at very low speeds. If it takes a long time to stop with a bit of force its running like it should, or even if it hurts to place your finger means it is spinning at high speeds.

Essentially, the point I am making is that you should replace the fan as soon as possible if its no longer detected and running at slower speeds that it was before.

- Socialfox :)