Need help quickly with random shut-downs on new build

jason_1234

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
Hello, I just built a new computer and was having some problems. The new build has the following specs:

i5-2310
Gigabyte Z68A-D3H-B3
Mushkin Enhanced Blackline Frostbyte PC3-12800 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600
XFX 650W PRO650W Core Edition Single Rail
Mushkin Chronos 120GB
Antec Eleven Hundred Performance Gaming Case

When I start the computer the motherboard splash screen pops up.(don't know about the post beep because it has no built in speaker) so i set my cd drive to boot so I could load windows, but after awhile the computer just turns off. I went into the bios and saw that the temperature of the processor was 89*. Is this normal?Is there anything else I should check? This is the only thing that I could think of that is stopping me from getting my computer installed with windows 7. If you want to ask any questions feel free to ask and i'll try to respond correctly.

Thanks everyone for your time and patience.

Solution
in reality, the possible problems are endless. Any number of hardware components could be faulty, there could be hardware incompatibilities, incorrect BIOS settings including voltages, timings etc, and obviously a bad windows installation.

However, the fact that your CPU temp shows 89 (c I'm assuming?), this is the limit a cpu can take before it auto shuts down to prevent damage.

Im 99% sure you installed the CPU heat sink incorrectly.

I don't have an i5, but I'm assuming you are using the stock cooler and its got the 4 white pins that clip into tho mobo. These can be a PIA to install, and they can break if you force them. Installed correctly, each should give a loud clean *click* as they snap into place. If the pins are not clipped...

mrmez

Splendid
in reality, the possible problems are endless. Any number of hardware components could be faulty, there could be hardware incompatibilities, incorrect BIOS settings including voltages, timings etc, and obviously a bad windows installation.

However, the fact that your CPU temp shows 89 (c I'm assuming?), this is the limit a cpu can take before it auto shuts down to prevent damage.

Im 99% sure you installed the CPU heat sink incorrectly.

I don't have an i5, but I'm assuming you are using the stock cooler and its got the 4 white pins that clip into tho mobo. These can be a PIA to install, and they can break if you force them. Installed correctly, each should give a loud clean *click* as they snap into place. If the pins are not clipped in firmly, they sink won't make proper contact and the cpu will overheat.

If you have never installed a cpu etc before, maybe a good idea to find a manual.

Solution

jason_1234

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
never done a build before, first time. But i did hear all four corners click in when i installed it. Perhaps it was Fahrenheit? I reset cmos and now its fine. I'm going to try linux and see how it goes. One more thing: is there a trick to getting the 24 pin power connector out of the motherboard?
thanks. I'll comment if anything goes wrong.

starburst

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012
This is a simple guess, but its possible. Did you forget to plug the heatsink fan in? If you plugged it in, then make sure the heatsink fan is working properly. 89c is very high and that must mean something is wrong with your cooler.

jason_1234

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011

Nope, the fan spins. All pins are securely in. Should I try taking it off and put it back on? It says my system temperature is about 35* C? How can i take it off I was having some problems taking it off :lol: