Sign in with
Your question

The GTX 690

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 29, 2012 5:00:48 AM

As you may or may not know, Nvidia just released their dual-gpu Kepler card, the GTX 690. It has a custom cooling solution, is housed inside a thermal solution constructed of cast aluminum and magnesium alloy with polycarbonate windows and nickel plating, making it the most expensive and solidly constructed graphics card Nvidia has ever built. It has a MSRP of a whopping $999. As you probably know, the GTX 590's GPUs were underclocked by a wide margin, compared to the 580. However, the GTX 690's cores are only clocked 2.8% slower. This makes it the equivalent of two GTX 680's. It has the price tag of two aswell, but it comes on one card. Discuss below.

More about : gtx 690

April 29, 2012 5:02:13 AM

Little late bro.
April 29, 2012 5:30:05 AM

I see why such cards are made, but i would greatly prefer to just run two cards in SLI. I already have one 680, and can buy a second when prices drop (right now, it maxes everything anyway).

I just don't see the point unless you're the sort of enthusiast who likes to put everything in the smallest possible case.
Related resources
April 29, 2012 5:46:50 AM

I think they should make like 2 PCB for 2 GPU stack onto each other like a RevoDrive does... Wonder if they can stack like two GTx 680 together onto 2 PCB stuck together for 2 slot but only need PCIe 3.0 x16 to run with 8+6 pins each PCB total of 28 pins for a single graphic card with 2 PCB and GPU lol...
April 29, 2012 6:00:17 AM

That kind of card is perfect for a guy who is trying to build the highest performing gaming machine in the smallest form factor. Small motherboard/case etc.

April 29, 2012 6:52:47 AM

Who can estimate the OC of the GTx 690 max lol... I estimated that it should be about 1070MHz max lol with boost probably up to 1120MHz...
a b Î Nvidia
April 29, 2012 3:02:57 PM

I'm buying one, I want to go from two card to single card set up, and make more room for other add on cards like my Creative SB Titanium HD and the thunderbolt cards when they come out for my mobo, also to reduce the heat in my case.
I purchased a Sabertooth Z77 and will be going with IB.
I want the fastest single card I can get , the 680 is great, but I want more out of one card, so the 690 suits my needs.
April 29, 2012 3:13:37 PM

lemlo said:
That kind of card is perfect for a guy who is trying to build the highest performing gaming machine in the smallest form factor. Small motherboard/case etc.

Or that wants less heat in his case...
Or that wants a quieter card (47dba for 690 vs 51dba for 680)...
Or that doesn't have an SLI motherboard and doesn't want to swap out his mobo...

Actually the only con I see to doing this over 2x gtx 680 is the reduced core clock speed. That's it, it's a lot different than the gtx 590 was. This is actually 2x 680s on the same card, at a 10% clock speed reduction.
!