CPU Related; Big FPS problem in Guild Wars 2

yuri20349

Honorable
Oct 16, 2012
Now while it is directly a question about Guild Wars 2, it is also a question about my CPU.

I have an AMD FX-4100 (Currently waiting for a AMD FX-8350 but it's out of stock everywhere :/) so meanwhile I was trying to figure out something.

This person http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9LkSkI4Ifg is using an inferior setup than I, the only thing we have in common is the CPU, hell I have mine OC'd to 4.4ghz.

My setup is :
CPU: AMD FX-4100 4.4ghz
GPU: Nvidia GTS660Ti 1536 MB
RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB)
PSU: CORSAIR HX Series HX850 850W
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+

Using a SSD with only windows installed on it and a normal harddrive for all my stuff.

Now with that said, this person I mentioned earlier is running Guild Wars 2 with moderatly high graphic settings (Don't know exactly but his game looks better than mine, I can tell with the shadows and shaders) and he is recording at the same time and he is still getting rather high fps!

In a fight like this I can barely get 15fps, though I usually run the game around 60-90 fps when doing nothing but solo events, as soon as you add in lots of people it crashes down to 15-25 which is really unpleasant and that's with rather piss poor settings.

I am blaming my cpu for multiple reason as I cannot see my graphic card being the issue, (cpu load goes up to 90-95% while in big fights and GPU load stays around 50-70%)

So I am quite perplexed because he is able to get really fluid FPS and he is running the game with decent settings on a crappier rig than me, I just cannot comprehend why. I really need help :/

the fact the video doesnt label Resolution plays a heavy role on the outcome. since your using a 660ti, im assuming you are going for a full 1920x1080, while the guy in teh video is using a gt 450, so i assume its less than 1600 resolution.

the other thing is, Guild Wars 2 doesnt like AMD CPU's oddly enough

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/guild-wars-2-performance-benchmark,3268-7.html

there must be some conflict somewhere with cpu threading into gw2

yuri20349

Honorable
Oct 16, 2012
I am master of retards :/ I was looking into CPU-Z and GPU-Z and I noticed my 660TI was plugged into a x4 slot :/ Apparently the slots written onto the motherboard are wrong, because the slot that says x4 is my x16, I looked into the manual and it shows the right order, first time I ever saw that happen.

if you were running it off x4 on pci-e 2.0, then that would decrease your performance. if you were runnign it on pci-e 3.0 4x, then thats equal to 2.0 8x which should barely affect anything. the main slot is the top one. Be warned though, gpu-z will label it 4x if your card is on idle. that is normal.

yuri20349

Honorable
Oct 16, 2012
Nah it actually worked, max settings and 80-90 fps in big WvWvW battles, funny how that was only the problem, also I am quite surprised my fx-4100 is handling that much.