Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Emergency Liquid cooling

Last response: in CPUs
October 28, 2012 4:51:54 AM

Sometime last week I noticed my PC temps were around 86. I poked around my case and decided it was time to change the stock closed-loop system with an open loop one. I tried a Thermaltake Big Water and for the first night the temperatures were worse. It reached at 89 and I immediately shut it down. I realized there wasn't enough air flow for the Big Water so I took off the door and my blue ray burner and prayed. It maintained a nice 76-82 degrees Fahrenheit. But I'm not willing to leave the doors off and not be able to use my burner. I tried (rather foolish now that I think about it) to use some external desk fans to try and temporarily cool my PC...only for my PC to do an emergency shut down. I burnt my finger by accidentally touching the CPU...My case is strictly designed for liquid cooling. It's a very big case and has plenty of room. (Might be nice to mention it is an Alienware Area 51) My budget for a cooling system for my CPU is about 300. I'm really at a loss and I can't really think of anything else. Any suggestions for a decent cooling system would be appreciated. I don't care if I have to maintain the fluid every 6 months or whatever the case may be. Some time in the future I hope to expand to my Graphic cards and maybe my ram. I would also like to add that I want to maintain 70 to 75 degrees Fahrenheit.
a b à CPUs
October 28, 2012 5:17:42 AM

There are some number issues here. Computer temperatures are generally reported in Celsius, and 89 Fahrenheit is lower than your body temperature—not nearly hot enough to burn you.
What do you mean by "touching the CPU"? Your CPU is exposed? That would certainly explain why it's overheating.
Score
November 4, 2012 1:25:13 AM

80 degrees is hot. And in my opinion a pc blowing out air hot enough to almost instantly melt a frozen beverage is unacceptable. On top of that my room gets very hot in the summer. When my PC did an emergency shut down I used the biggest desk fan we had. I figured it would help since it proved itself useful in the past with other PCs we had. But it wasn't enough to even try to cool the CPU. When I touched it then it was like touching a stove top set on high. As for my temp that my PC display is set to Fahrenheit because I set it so. Why? Easier for me. I solved my own problem by really jimmy rigging my once beautiful case to a half gallon tank. The sensors at the moment are off somehow. I have 3 fans cooling my radiator though one of the fans blows the hardest and makes the most noise.
Score
Related resources
a b à CPUs
November 4, 2012 10:37:16 PM

89 Fahrenheit is NOT hot. Trust me. It's not hot enough to feel like a stove top. Your body temperature is 98.6 Fahrenheit, so there's no way 89 could feel hot enough to burn.

How are you touching your CPU? It should be covered by the water block.
Score
a b à CPUs
November 5, 2012 12:50:36 AM

An alienware area 51 case was not really designed for real custom loop liquid cooling. It was made more for closed loop systems. Also kajabla is right, don't touch your cpu, make sure its cooled when its on. By 89 degrees do you mean Celsius or Fahrenheit, as if its Fahrenheit then 89F is not hot enough for a thermal shutdown, its really cool actually. 89C is actually pretty hot. Make sure you applied the thermal paste properly.
Score
November 5, 2012 12:06:38 PM

Ok. I will say this one more time. When it did an emergency shut down, I had nothing to cool the cpu. No heat sink nothing. I thought with enough air it would cool. It didn't. I don't know how hot it was when it shut down. THAT was when I burnt my finger. And as I said before FAHRENHEIT. Not Celsius. I cannot read Celsius that accurately. 89 Degrees is hot enough when I ran it with a Bigwater since there wasn't enough air flow first time I ran it. When I was going to pack up the Bigwater (before I ran it with a fan blowing on it) the Thermal grease looked like it was dripping off. Similar to what Melted peanut butter would look like. I didn't wipe it off or anything.
Score
November 5, 2012 12:15:29 PM

are you sure its Fahrenheit ??? i lower than your body temps + no way you can touch your cpu ......... and melted peanut butter???? whats wrong with ur pc
go download hw monitor and tell me ur temps http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html
Score
November 5, 2012 12:34:15 PM

Yes I am sure it's Fahrenheit. And now the sensors don't work. It probably fried -__-;;. It's stuck at 32 Fahrenheit. Maybe it's in the BIOS or something. But it seems now every time I restart or turn on my pc SOMETHING goes wrong. The Graphics cards goes out, or Windows doesn't want to boot, or the BIOS glitches out...Ok I installed the program and I'm not sure what to make of what it gave me...but I'll post it.

Score
a b à CPUs
November 5, 2012 12:41:55 PM

The reason everyone thinks you can;t tell fahrenheit form celsius is that there is nothing wrong with 89 fahrenheit and it will not thermally shutdown at 89 fahrenheit, 89 celsius however would be a problem! All your core temps in the above image are ok

In future build yourself you control the quality of parts then and therefore have a better say on any QC issues.
Score
November 5, 2012 12:53:46 PM

But it DIDN'T do an emergency shut down at 89 degrees. It shut down before windows can even boot. AFTER I took all the other parts out (The Thermaltake Big water) that was when it shut down. I don't know how hot it was and that was when I burnt my finger.
I think I should also mention I did some serious jimmy rigging from when I first posted. I had to take apart my case and order parts and put it all together but the Rad sits on top since it won't fit in my case.
Score

Best solution

a b à CPUs
November 5, 2012 1:12:50 PM

It would have shut down when you removed everything due to a thermal shutdown as you had no cooling (if i read right you removed the cooler). You should never ever try to run a CPU without anykind of cooling.... I guess the question is did that damage the CPU?... It should have throttled and shutdown before any damage but it's possible harm was caused, the rad on top of your case should be fine as long as it is securely mounted and properly cooled.

*EDIT* If you want specific advice on setting up your cooling or building up a custom loop you may wnt to post in the watercooling section with a better title there are sme gurus there who I am sure can guide you to some awesome solutions with that budget
November 5, 2012 1:24:13 PM

Best answer selected by Miradobwarrior.
Score
November 5, 2012 1:24:39 PM

Thank you. But at this point I have to work what I got. :/  I know it was stupid tryin to use external fans to cool the cpu but I hated jumping between pcs...Eventually I'll upgrade everything but just not now.
Score
!