Last response: in CPUs
October 28, 2012 7:32:14 AM

Hello everyone

this is my PC info :

MB Link
CPU Link
3GB DDR2 800 RAM
ATI HD4670 Graphics

So i bought a ATI4670 Graphic card a couple of months ago but it didnt really make a difference and i have had terrible frame rates in counter-strike!!! obviously my system bottlenecks and its because of the weak CPU. as you can see :

im getting a E8400 cpu tomorrow . So heres the question ; is this cpu going to make it any better ? or will my DDR2 RAM lower my pc performance (according to win7 rating) ?

More about : bottleneck

a b à CPUs
October 28, 2012 7:44:24 AM

Processor should be at least 5x faster, so that will help a LOT.

DDR 800 is not THAT slow and I imagine that score will jump with the new processor architecture controlling it.

October 28, 2012 8:59:05 AM

After the CPU, your lower RAM score is probably due to you have mismatched modules (3GB - usually means 1x1GB and 1x2GB), so it will be running in single channel mode, rather than dual channel.

Matched modules, of the same size e.g. 2x2GB, 2x1GB, and preferably bought in a dual pack so they come pre tested to work at the same speeds, would definately help increase the memory performance as the RAM access could operate in dual channel.

At the end of the day, you have an aged platform which is in the 6 year old range. It's not worth spending a lot of money on keeping it going as the capacitors on the motherboard will be nearing end of life, so the may not be worth sorting the ram as it wont be usable on a current DDR3 MB.
Related resources
October 28, 2012 11:07:54 AM

thanks for your help . yeah i was planing on getting a new MB as well. but is LGA775 a slow MB? i mean does socket type make any difference ?
October 28, 2012 1:16:23 PM

It's not that the MB is slow, its just older tech in it, so the chipset is older and technology has improved, the ports on it have improved, i.e. SATA 3 rather than SATA 1, new CPU's have memory controller on the CPU, rather than on the mainboard (in the north bridge), so it is much faster for memory access. Plus your mainboard is old, so the capacitors are nearing end of life, so voltage fluctuations start to occur, causing faults, BSOD's resets, etc (although you may be lucky and have decent caps which will run for years to come).

Anyway, socket (LGA775) determines the type of CPU you can use. If you want to update your MB, then you wil also need to do RAM and CPU at the same time, so it is a reasonable investment as you have to do a lot at once. You probably also want to do the HDD too purely to get the increase in performance of the newer bus speeds and HDD tech, and the PSU as it will have the same problem with the caps as the MB, at which point you're in the whole new box range.

Just because Windows score shows the CPU is not rated as highly as the ones that are available today (which is effectively what yours s being ranked against), i doesn't mean it is the cause of the bottleneck. It does depend on the game. Were you getting bad performance prior to your new 4670? If not, then it is not the CPU.
a b à CPUs
October 28, 2012 1:43:13 PM

Don't invest any more money on that system, it's obsolete. Save up and do a complete overhaul.
October 28, 2012 3:30:28 PM

poweruser_24 said:
It's not that the MB is slow, its just older tech in it, so the chipset is older and technology has improved, the ports on it have improved, i.e. SATA 3 rather than SATA 1, new CPU's have memory controller on the CPU, rather than on the mainboard (in the north bridge), so it is much faster for memory access. Plus your mainboard is old, so the capacitors are nearing end of life, so voltage fluctuations start to occur, causing faults, BSOD's resets, etc (although you may be lucky and have decent caps which will run for years to come).

Anyway, socket (LGA775) determines the type of CPU you can use. If you want to update your MB, then you wil also need to do RAM and CPU at the same time, so it is a reasonable investment as you have to do a lot at once. You probably also want to do the HDD too purely to get the increase in performance of the newer bus speeds and HDD tech, and the PSU as it will have the same problem with the caps as the MB, at which point you're in the whole new box range.

Just because Windows score shows the CPU is not rated as highly as the ones that are available today (which is effectively what yours s being ranked against), i doesn't mean it is the cause of the bottleneck. It does depend on the game. Were you getting bad performance prior to your new 4670? If not, then it is not the CPU.

yeah i know. but since im getting 30fps in a game like counter-strike i think a new CPU would help alot. btw thanks for your reply.
!