Sign in with
Your question

In need of durable and reliable Wlan router!

Last response: in Networking
June 29, 2011 10:30:52 AM

The last 3 or 4 of my households wlan routers have all broken within 6 months of their purchase, and then broken 6 months after the repair again. The latest one has served pretty well, EXCEPT that its DNS stops working all of a sudden every now and then and it denies all connections but my old ubuntu laptop until I reboot it manually. It has done that since the first week and I've struggled with it for nearly 5 months now but its starting to tick me off to have my connection dropped whenever I'm gaming competitively.

Now, I want a Wlan router which is DURABLE and has RELIABLE CONNECTION and takes the heat because summers tend to warm the room which the router is located along with server machine and few other heat generating machines. Price doesnt exactly matter if it serves ATLEAST until warranty becomes void in due time without breaking once.
June 29, 2011 8:09:03 PM

I have Netgear routers that have been in service for about 10 years! And the oldest one survived several years in a garage with temps over 90 degrees.
June 30, 2011 12:09:07 AM

theres really no ceiling to how big a router u can get, they can cost 1500$ and support multiple ussers. tell us about ur usage, how many peopel on average connect, do u use a lot of network storage, network printing or network media sharing? do u download stuff? do u play online games that need fast latency?
Related resources
June 30, 2011 5:43:46 AM

Well I already hinted out what the household pretty much has but the exact numbers are:
Printer, 3 PC's, 4 laptops (one hosts game server), Wii and some "odd" connections.
Odd being the occasional guests and phones etc. So at best the router has to house 10 connections at the same time. All time connections are 2 of the laptops and printer, daytime connections include 2PC's to that and occasionally the third. Rest are "odd".
June 30, 2011 4:17:32 PM

thats a lot of connections there, so id suggest at least something with a dual band to offload the activity.
http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=548
heres a promising dual band one
the idea is to use seperate networks for high performance materials (like gaming) and low performance ones like websurf etc
there are other options for cheaper, this one is specially fancy
July 1, 2011 5:49:03 AM

That D-Link had mid-level reviews.

Best Buy: 4 out of 5 (1 review)
CNet: 3 1/2 out of 5 for Editor, 3 out of 5 for users (8 reviews)
Newegg: 3 out of 5 (28 reviews)
Amazon: 3 out of 5 (31 reviews)

Some other:

Netgear 3400

Best Buy: 4.3 out of 5 (318 reviews)
CNet: 4 out of 5 for Editor, 3 out of 5 for users (30 reviews)
Tigerdirect: 5 out of 5 (17 reviews)
Amazon: 3 1/2 out of 5 (110 reviews)

Netgear 3700

Best Buy: 4.4 out of 5 (439 reviews)
Buy.com: 4 1/2 out of 5 (13 reviews)
Newegg: 4 out of 5 (582 reviews)
CNet: 3 1/2 out of 5 Editor, 3 out of 5 users (84 reviews)

Netgear 4000

Best Buy: 4.2 out of 5 (11 reviews)
Newegg: 4 out of 5 (30 reviews)

Comming soon!!!
Netgear 3800
Could be a good idea to keep an eye on this one. Seams to be a high-performance version of the 3700.

Linksys E3200

Amazon: 4 out of 5 (41 reviews)
CNet: 4 out of 5 Editor, 3 out of 5 users (5 reviews)
Newegg: 4 out of 5 (13 reviews)

Linksys E4200

Amazon: 4 out of 5 (93 reviews)
CNet: 4 out of 5 Editor, 3 out of 5 users (44 reviews)
Newegg: 4 out of 5 (25 reviews)
Best Buy: 4.1 out of 5 (168 reviews)
July 1, 2011 5:52:46 AM

I dont think dual band is necessary, because whenever someone connects with Wlan, its most likely only for web surfing and/or IM chatting. There are no Gaming laptops in this household. (And that server laptop is attached directly to the router itself)
July 1, 2011 4:44:41 PM

ichihaifu said:
I dont think dual band is necessary, because whenever someone connects with Wlan, its most likely only for web surfing and/or IM chatting. There are no Gaming laptops in this household. (And that server laptop is attached directly to the router itself)

There is another reason for getting dual band: allows more connections at the same time. Also, if any G devices connect it slows everyone down to G speed. But with the 5GHz you only have N devices and less interference from other things like Bluetooth and all of the other 2.4GHz devices out there.
July 1, 2011 4:56:44 PM

Now this was a rather interesting fact, thank you for telling me.
But I doubt our family needs dual band just yet, I also found a replacement router. Going to work with this for a while because atleast it doesnt drop DNS every 18 hours.
Thanks for replies but still, feel free to suggest more nice routers as they will most likely come handy in future.
!