Installing new PSU - Do not understand rails?

richiespeed13

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
Hi all,

Just a quick and hopefully simple question. My current PSU died and so I have ordered a new one. I am ready to install the new PSU, however, I am very confused about rails.

Before I begin I will quickly list my specs:

ATI 5870 1gb
8GB DDR3 RAM
Intel E8500 @3.16ghz
1tb hdd
1 x DVD/rw

So here is my problem. My current broken 700w PSU has 2x 12v rails, at 22a each. However, my new 800w PSU has 4x 12v rails rated at 32a each.

I am stuck because i do not fully understand how rails work, and do not know how to make sure when I install my new PSU, I am not accidentally putting the whole pc on 1 single rail and blowing it up!

So when installing my new PSU, how do I identify which wires are powered by each of the 4 rails? And how do I make sure my psu is always supplying my graphics card, CPU, and motherboard with enough power?

I am sorry for such a noob question, but it is quite confusing and I don't want to break my pc.

Kind regards,

Rich.

richiespeed13

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
I ordered this PSU, however I am starting to think maybe it is not very good?

You can see all the specs if you click on the image.

http://www.cclonline.com/product/35684/PSU-703/Power-Supplies/800W-WinPower-Power-Supply/PSU0157/

twelve25

Distinguished
Link didn't work.

4 separate 32A rails would be rare. Most 800w PSU have a single 60A+ rail or two 30A+ rails. My guess is you have 2 32A rails with four cable runs.

The only think that is going to come close to maxing out a rail is going to be a hungry video card. SO just make sure you don't put two video cards on the same 32A rail and you'll be fine.

The rest of a system is not that power hungry, so it won't really matter unless you have like 12 hard drives.