Uther39

Distinguished
I've been reading a lot of good things about this new AMD CPU, a lot of good reviews out there Such as
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/57446-fx-8350-cpu-review-amds-vishera-arrives-21.html

Its looking like it may be the new value/performance chip of choice for OCing, personaly i cant believe its so cheap.
Whats the general consensus on here, would be nice to hear from people who have this cpu, and to hear others informed opinions, not just fanboyism please from either house.

Also does anyone know when this will become available for sale in the UK?

It's already available. Check scan.co.uk. It's a stronger choice than i5 if you're primarily after a performance lead in non-gaming well-threaded applications - not miles behind i7 but at i5 prices. Typically a ~10% performance lead at stock clocks over the i5. In games, the i5 averages ~15% faster, or 20% if you're looking purely at 1920x1080 performance. So i5 still best choice for gaming, but if you want capable performance for occasional gaming, but first priority is other CPU-intensive workloads (media encoding, compression/decompression etc) then the FX is a good choice.

wr6133

Feb 10, 2012
At £164 I will keep my Phenom X6 running for now. I'm willing to bet an eye the price will slip a fair bit within 3 months as BD did, then I will upgrade. They made good progress but BD was perceived as such a blunder I think it's left them washed with a stigma, also the pricing sure it beats the i5 in a host of tasks but as many self builders are gamers they have once again made a chip that trails Intel for the same price as Intel.

So mixed thoughts really from me, if it had released 10% cheaper I would have bought one as is....... no, i'll wait for it to struggle and price slide.

JKatwyopc

Distinguished
I too have been strongly considering getting this CPU mostly because I am already on an AM3+ motherboard. Much cheaper to buy a ~$200 cpu and just pop it in than to have to buy a bunch of other hardware and have to reinstall Windows from scratch again.

I was very pleased to see that the Reviews are indicating a pretty significant increase in performance over the FX 8150. Even though it still isn't outperforming the Intel i5's and i7's in games, it definitely competes a lot better.

chase3567

Honorable
Mar 23, 2012
I got this last week from Newegg. It was a big upgrade for me over the 6100 I was using. In some games I've had a as much as a 25% increase. Average increase has been about 15%. So far I've gotten a stable OC of 4.7. It idles around 22c with the OC, underload playing Bf3 between 45-48c. Very happy so far it has made my nvidia surround setup so much better. I had good fps with 6100 (had a 1ghz OC on it) but had some transition lag on fps using the three screens. With this chip that is now gone. I will wait for a month for burn in then go for the 5.0ghz OC. The OC is where it becomes a beast but yes the stick clock with turbo is nice also.

Uther39

Distinguished
OK maybe I should rephrase, yes its available everywhere in the UK but is it in stock anywhere, no.

So the first too actually see it in stock anywhere in the UK gets a giant cookie.

Uther39

Distinguished
Yeah its promising, don't understand how the UK retailers are so far behind in the take up of these cpus, maybe they all thought they would be a flop? Sadly its the FX 8350 i want, also i just no that after 2 weeks the price will drop below £150.

8350 might be worth the extra $40. I went with the 8320 and unless you have extreme cooling capable of handling 1.55-1.6v it looks like the 8320 is having trouble getting past 4.7-4.8GHz. I can benchmark mine at 4.9GHz but its not stable without huge voltage. The sweet spot on mine is 4.6GHz @ 1.44v.

This isn't just what I've concluded on my own, this is what about 30 owners and I have come to the conclusion on over at a different forum. Unless you get a lucky golden 8320, the 8350 looks to yield higher clocks at lower voltages.

I will say that I am impressed with the performance of my chip. I got it by selling my 8150 and spending about $20 out of pocket. It was a good decision, gaming performance is very smooth as well. In the below benchmark is my Cinebench run at 4.83, when I had my FX-8150 my highest Cinebench run was 5.0GHz scoring 7.74pts. My performance is limited by my crappy 4GB 1333MHz RAM kit. If you want your Vishera to shine, grab some low latency 1866MHz modules. That's the sweet spot right there.

cinebenchall.png

Based on price alone, the 8320 is probably the value/performance winner (since it's still easily overclockable).

The 8350 is still too expensive. It should have been sub-$200 (closer to where the 8320 is, with the 8320 being less), and I hope it will be soon enough. There's not really enough compelling reasons to get a 8350 rather than a 3570K, at its current price.

If you don't do something daily that makes use of the extra "cores", then the 3570K (or even 2500K) makes more sense at that price.

All of that last bit assumes that you're starting completely anew, though. If you already have an AM3+ board, then it wouldn't make a lot of sense to switch to Intel, of course.

Agreed!

The 3570K and Mobo I wanted would run me about $420. I could have sold my motherboard and CPU for $250 (maybe if I was lucky). The FX-8320 cost me $20 because I sold my old chip and kept the motherboard. Intels are nice, I just wanted an upgrade but couldn't come out of pocket that much right now.

Uther39

Distinguished
There's a lot of people on the other tech forums hitting 5ghz with the fx8350 using a h100 and a chv mobos or the gigabyte ud5 mobos.

A lot also saying they can hit 4.5-4.6 on stock voltages just by upping the multiplyer.

^ yup. I think the FX-8320 might have been somewhat aggressively binned because I have only seen one or two clocks that high for it. Compared to the dozens of FX-8350s up that high.