Sign in with
Your question

Advice on choice of CPU and GPU for new build.

Last response: in CPUs
October 28, 2012 11:45:34 AM

Hey guys,

Thought I'd start a thread because I'm currently having a few difficulties getting my new build together.
It's basically the same stump per usual. I cannot decide over my processor and graphics card.
At first I was keen to take on an i5 3750K along with a 660ti. Seemed solid on paper and I've heard good things about keplar in general. However while researching into more graphics cards I've come across multiple opinions that perhaps a AMD 7950 would be a better bet seeing as it's very good to overclock and can surpass maybe even come close to the performance of a 670. It's also cheaper as well, especially in the UK market where they are offering me about 5 games free. On the CPU side it's no secret that intel are miles ahead. While reading up that the new Ivybridge wasn't a huge innovation over it's predecessor (Sandybridge) I still chose the 3750K because I've heard good things about it being overclocked on a Z77 chipset board. However, the new piledriver CPU's seem to be getting OK reviews with some even stating it comes very close to 2500k's performance which pretty much is a 3750K anyway more or less. I thought maybe getting a new piledriver AMD CPU it would go very well with the 7950 on a AM3 board. ( A boost I've heard apparently)
So my question is,

Nvidia 660ti with Intel 3570k?
AMD 7950 with Intel 3570k?

or

AMD 7950 with AMD Piledriver cpu (whichever one goes great for gaming)

I will state that I am building this new tower solely for gaming, watching HD blurays and some work with emulation. (PCSX2 and Dolphin)
My resolution is 1980 x 1020 on a 120hz 3D monitor.

Any advice on the matter would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
a b à CPUs
October 28, 2012 11:48:50 AM

Like you have stated Intel is miles ahead of AMD (its hurts for me to say that) and so I would say stay away from the FX series. The piledriver was better than the bulldozer series though it is not too much of a difference. Anyways as for my input go for the Intel 3570k and the HD 7950.
!